Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #29

All 3 Ideas above aren't very feasible and are dangerous. The video above showing a 4 Runner pulling a Motorhomes out is very mis-leading as the Motorhome was barely stuck. If it was truly stuck that 4Runner doesn't weigh enough nor does it have enough Horsepower or Traction to pull a stuck Motorhome out . I STRESS again , Don't get your RV Stuck !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
All 3 Ideas above aren't very feasible and are dangerous. The video above showing a 4 Runner pulling a Motorhomes out is very mis-leading as the Motorhome was barely stuck. If it was truly stuck that 4Runner doesn't weigh enough nor does it have enough Horsepower or Traction to pull a stuck Motorhome out . I STRESS again , Don't get your RV Stuck !

The weight is the only thing lacking.

Lockers front and rear on 37in krawlers with probably about 5-7psi

5.29 gears and 4.7 gears in the transfer case to make up for the lack of power

it was stuck enough that my buddies E350 van with a v10 (loaded with dirt bikes for weight\traction) didn't make it budge.

I agree DONT GET STUCK is always the plan. But it happens I just hope that all that good karma from the many many people I have pulled out in the past will come through when I need it.

Also

Whats wrong with using a winch? Assuming it is being used properly.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not been stuck myself by making sure not in a position to have gotten so, but have helped get a few folks out with my Jeep (lifted, tires, and locked at both ends) using strap and winch methods, plus usually some digging and boards. Most always a lot of work... sometimes lucky and just a tug gets the job done.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by -twitch- View Post
The weight is the only thing lacking.

Lockers front and rear on 37in krawlers with probably about 5-7psi

5.29 gears and 4.7 gears in the transfer case to make up for the lack of power

it was stuck enough that my buddies E350 van with a v10 (loaded with dirt bikes for weight\traction) didn't make it budge.

I agree DONT GET STUCK is always the plan. But it happens I just hope that all that good karma from the many many people I have pulled out in the past will come through when I need it.

Also

Whats wrong with using a winch? Assuming it is being used properly.
They were talking of using a Portable winch that fits in your reciever and unless a tree or rock ( highly unlikely) happens to be directly in line of your RV your going to damage something and who carries one of those around in their RV anyway ?
To me, and yes its my opinion, Your 4 Runner spun one tire for 6 inches and you were unstuck. How does it spin only the left rear if its all 'locked' up, thats mechanically impossible, if the tow vehicle is being held back and one tire spins the other tires have no choice but to spin, puzzling ? The video is mis-leading to someone who doesn't have experience in desert travel as they think all you do is pull for 6 inches and your out, and that ain't gonna happen.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
They were talking of using a Portable winch that fits in your reciever and unless a tree or rock ( highly unlikely) happens to be directly in line of your RV your going to damage something and who carries one of those around in their RV anyway ?
To me, and yes its my opinion, Your 4 Runner spun one tire for 6 inches and you were unstuck. How does it spin only the left rear if its all 'locked' up, thats mechanically impossible, if the tow vehicle is being held back and one tire spins the other tires have no choice but to spin, puzzling ? The video is mis-leading to someone who doesn't have experience in desert travel as they think all you do is pull for 6 inches and your out, and that ain't gonna happen.

So it would be unsafe for me to use a Warn winch (proper size for the weight) mounted to my receiver, attach the other end to another rv, large truck or maybe a rock and pull myself out?

As far as the 4runner...

The left rear tire spins for a second, the Detroit locker engages, both tires grab traction along with the front two not really puzzling.

In this case yes all I needed was 6 inches. And in a lot of cases all you need to is to get the momentum moving forward so actually 6 inches is all you need sometimes.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #34

Twitch, looks like the start of a fun trip! Ever camp in Glamis, Ocotillo Wells or Red Cloud?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #35

How to AVOID getting stuck .....
1. Keep the wheels straight as possible in soft stuff! Turning the wheels adds resistance and will slow momentum.
2. Keep up momentum in the soft stuff. Stop, slow and turn on firm ground if at all possible - towing especially!
3. Park where it will be easiest to get momentum going again. On firm ground, pointed downhill, or flat.
4. Turn around on the hardest ground and using smaller (less steering input) turns instead of a sharp smaller tight turn.
5. Release weight distribution hitches on 2wd to take weight off front tires add weight to rear drive. Elevation changes are not good for weight distribution hitches. I broke one in a driveway backing up. Probably good idea to release on anything while off road.
6. If driving in sand at low speed and for a distance, get air pump so you can lower pressure in ALL TIRES! Hard tires resist rolling in sand. Radial tires bag down best. Mud tires dig in sand!
If you lower pressure before getting in sand, lower it till the sidewall flexes. Do not flatten or you run the risk of jumping it off the rim.
I used to pull trucks out at the beach with a 66 Falcon! You should have seen the looks of people as I did it!

MUD is different, do not lower pressure. Momentum is your friend! If you loose momentum, stop, change directions. Do not abuse your transmission. Slowly change gears and make sure wheels are done spinning before changing gears or putting in park! If you can still move vehicle forward and back any, try adding something for traction - dry soil, sand, wood, ect.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
Twitch, looks like the start of a fun trip! Ever camp in Glamis, Ocotillo Wells or Red Cloud?
That was the first trip out in my new to me RV and my first trip in a RV period.

The video is actually as we were leaving Split Mountain Road (a couple miles in along the railroad tracks) in Ocotillo Wells

I try to stay away from Glamis and other Sand places. Its hard on the toys and I like the rocks.

We go out to Salton Sea, Johnson Valley\ The Hammers and Ocotillo Wells.

I have never heard of "Red Cloud" what is that and were is located?

LOVE THE DESERT
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
How to AVOID getting stuck .....
1. Keep the wheels straight as possible in soft stuff! Turning the wheels adds resistance and will slow momentum.
2. Keep up momentum in the soft stuff. Stop, slow and turn on firm ground if at all possible - towing especially!
3. Park where it will be easiest to get momentum going again. On firm ground, pointed downhill, or flat.
4. Turn around on the hardest ground and using smaller (less steering input) turns instead of a sharp smaller tight turn.
5. Release weight distribution hitches on 2wd to take weight off front tires add weight to rear drive. Elevation changes are not good for weight distribution hitches. I broke one in a driveway backing up. Probably good idea to release on anything while off road.
6. If driving in sand at low speed and for a distance, get air pump so you can lower pressure in ALL TIRES! Hard tires resist rolling in sand. Radial tires bag down best. Mud tires dig in sand!
If you lower pressure before getting in sand, lower it till the sidewall flexes. Do not flatten or you run the risk of jumping it off the rim.
I used to pull trucks out at the beach with a 66 Falcon! You should have seen the looks of people as I did it!

MUD is different, do not lower pressure. Momentum is your friend! If you loose momentum, stop, change directions. Do not abuse your transmission. Slowly change gears and make sure wheels are done spinning before changing gears or putting in park! If you can still move vehicle forward and back any, try adding something for traction - dry soil, sand, wood, ect.
Lots of good advice there
Old 11-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #38

Red Cloud is off the 10 east of chiriaco summit west of desert center. We go out there for new years every year.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #39

Twitch, your not getting my point but that's cool , not here to argue just discuss. I've been Camping in a Motorhome all over the So Cal Deserts for over 30 years with a Locked, Loaded Jeep... yes with a winch. Could I have your number so next time I get stuck @ Ocotillo I could call you ?...... I'm kiddin
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #40

I got out and walked once when in a National Forest near the Collawash River. It was rainy and muddy and the road windy. I cut cross-country back to the road, and discovered tire tracks.

He can't have much better equipment than I, I says, so I walked a 1/4 mile along his tracks marveling at how far he got, wondering how he was going to get out.

And then I came upon my own rig.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't drive where I might get stuck, in over 55 yrs of RV'ing it's worked and I've never been stuck!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #42

We boondock so we are always driving where we might get stuck because, well, thats where we camp. We are headed out to wash 17.5 in Glamis on Sunday, wish us the best as the rest of our group won't be out until the next day.

Oh... and we always get out and have a look around once we start getting unsure. Usually our group is out there before us and they all have 4x4 trucks.

« Hole In The Wall Camping in the Mohave desert of California | Greenbelt Metro Station »