Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How do you manage your trash while boondocking.

Thanks to a monkey in diapers and a small dog who uses puppy pads we generate 2-3 tall kitchen (13gal) bags of trash each week. One of my biggest challenges is trash disposal. I use rest areas, and occasional business dumpsters if there are no locks or signs prohibiting my contributions, but I know they have to pay for trash collection so I feel guilty if I haven’t made a purchase.

Anyone have any creative ideas?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #2

Research on line public dumps - city, county etc - you drive there and dump. They shouldn't be too far out of your way.

I change my pick up fluids and they usually accept that also.

Go to a RV park for the day, dump, and resupply water, etc.

Take items out of packaging before booning and dispose of properly.

Collaspe or crush items to reduce space in garbage bag.

Many highway rest stops have large dumpsters that truckers use. I'm not recommending you use the small/basket type.

It is nice that you don't dump in people's trash containers which are made for a little trash.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If a popular dry camping or LT area there are often dumpsters provided somewhere.

We typically dry camp for a week or so then go into a FHU CG for a couple days to dump trash, dump/fill tanks, take long showers, and do laundry.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #4

State Parks, I pay to dump black tank, fill with water, throw trash away. I do not feel as bad because I pay.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
State Parks, I pay to dump black tank, fill with water, throw trash away. I do not feel as bad because I pay.
X2, if I pay I dump everything.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:49 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I pass landfills all the time but never thought of stopping to contribute. Thanks for the idea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Double wrap stinky stuff, dog poop pick up bags, etc., and when I have a plastic shopping bag full I take it to a gas station, Walmart, etc., and put it in their trash can.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I split up trash into smaller "Grocery bags" to throw things away at gas stations and whatnot.

Most places around here say "Car waste only" including rest areas too. Usually if its a small bag it makes it look like Car waste Since I gotta stop at rest areas often to strech and get out and move around... it was never that big of a deal to get rid of garbage.

My biggest challenge is getting rid of recyclables vs just throwing everything in the trash.
-BigRed- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #9

First, I'd like to thank all of you for your concern about how to dispose of your garbage. There are a few who don't seem to have as much concern and cause grief for all of us.

I do about the same as everyone else. We use rest area dumpsters/cans while traveling. If we need groceries we will use the dumpster/cans where we shop/overnight.

While in the woods we usually have to make a dump and fill run about every week, so I store the garbage in large plastic bags and keep them stored where varmints can't get to them. There has always been a place to dispose of garbage at the dump station.

For the last few years I've been boondocking, sort of, near Keyser, WV for about a month beside a little stream in a "Gospel Sing Campground", while visiting friends and relatives in the vacinity. It is designed to accommodate folks who stay for a few nights when there is a sing for several nights every few weeks. I don't use their connections, but dump and fill every week or so. I pay for the privilege of being allowed to stay there and use those facilities. I've been reluctant to use their garbage facility because it is designed to only be taken care of after the sings. I buy most of my groceries at a local Walmart and leave my garbage there often, but one day while on my way to visit a relative in the toad I saw a garbage truck making his rounds. While he was stopped I asked if he could take the garbage I had accumulated and had with me. For five bucks he took the garbage, gave me information about when they would be in the area, and a number to call. This could be another way to solve the problem.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #10

Splitting up your trash into small bags is a good idea and take one when you go into town or stop along your drive. I don't agree with putting large bags of trash in one dumpster or trying to stuff it in a rest area can. People have to pay to have this trash emptied. Many times small local landfills/refuse facilities will allow you to dump it. Also, keep in mind that smaller utility companies will allow you to dump your holding tanks. Just ask around for these types of services. You may be surprised.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #11

I live in the boonies on a lake. It’s like camping 24/7. Sometimes I wonder why I have a MH lol

We don’t have garbage service. If we didn’t pay a commercial garbage service to stop by we would have to take it to a pickup point (landfill extension service) and they charge per bag. My advice before heading to a pickup or the landfill is to have some change with you. One time we went and forgot. Had to dig change out from under the seats and cup holders. Lol
Old 04-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for more good ideas. We stopped at a rest area on a 2 lane hiway in Nevada yesterday. They have 3 open barrels surrounded by some orange plastic fence. (probably to keep stuff from blowing away) I could see what was dropped in and most looked like kitchen size trash bags. We ended up spending the night there due to a tire problem with the toad. Most of the vehicles that stopped there were RVs. A Nevada DOT truck came out to collect the trash while we were there. There are no restrooms there, so trash dumping and a few picnics seem to be the main activity.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-29-2018, 04:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I pass landfills all the time but never thought of stopping to contribute. Thanks for the idea.
Dont get to excited. A lot of places the city landfill is there for the use of the people paying property taxes in the area. You will be asked for proof you pay them. That proof is often the statement of proprty taxes that has your name and the addy on it and that get compared to the driver license you have to show them. If they match you get to dump.

That is why you often see piles of trash on empty lots or dead end roads, renters often cant just haul something to the dump.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
Dont get to excited. A lot of places the city landfill is there for the use of the people paying property taxes in the area. You will be asked for proof you pay them. That proof is often the statement of proprty taxes that has your name and the addy on it and that get compared to the driver license you have to show them. If they match you get to dump.

That is why you often see piles of trash on empty lots or dead end roads, renters often cant just haul something to the dump.
The landfill website will tell you all you need to know. Ive called ours before they were quite helpful.

Tags
boondocking