Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #1

How do you shave?

I will be boondocking in a few days. I have 2 shaving methods at the house. One is dry shaving with an Norelco Phillips which requires a charged battery. My other method is in the shower with a disposable razor. When I shave in the shower I use more water.

So do I use electricity or more water?

At the house use both methods about equally depending on my mood.

Or - do I buy a new One Blade? I am leaning toward a new One Blade and dry shave every 3rd day.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #2

Easy, I don't shave when boondocking!

bob91yj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
Easy, I don't shave when boondocking!
+1 Shaving is an unnecessary evil
affreeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #4

You could always go to a washcloth to moisten your face, some shaving cream and a razor. Another wet washcloth to wipe off any leftover shaving cream. Millions of men do it every day....
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #5

X3 for not shaving.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #6

I will be boondocking as long as 6 weeks. When I was younger I would not shave but now it bothers me after 3 days not to shave.

I will want to shave.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #7

I will probably shave using the tailgate of the truck and use a bowl of water. 1/2 gallon ofvwater and use a disposable twin blade razor once a week to get a close shave.

I will buy the one blade and dry shave in between.

I find it interesting that after 45 years of shaving it is becoming more a PIA than ever before in my life.

Shaving used to be a non-event, but now it is a bigger production...ugh.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I will be boondocking as long as 6 weeks. When I was younger I would not shave but now it bothers me after 3 days not to shave.

I will want to shave.

You're right. 3 day old stubble will be itchy. Fortunately, after a week or so, is gets softer, and stops being bothersome.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #9

I use a Norelco and shave every other day. It'll go a few weeks on a charge. If I had to go six weeks without charging it I'd probably buy a second one and leave home with both charged. But really, it doesn't take much to charge a razor. Are you going to use other things that need charged? Phone? Computer? If so, I'd just add the razor to the mix as needed.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #10

I regularly use about a quart of water to shave, every other day. Small mixing bowl. Conserving water is a way of life for us. The less we use, the less often we have to dump the tanks and refill with fresh.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #11

Yes, I have a phone and a laptop to keep charged and plan to run a generator 2 to 3 hours per day to keep things charged. I shave every other day a lot also. I have been watching YouTube on the Norelco One Blade. The product tester said 45 minutes on a charge and it takes 3 - 4 minutes to shave. So with the generator the One Blade may be the best. My other electric shaver is getting dull. I may buy new blades for it also. But may sharpen then on a mirror with a fine grit paste.

Now that I think about it with sharp blades I do like that shaver. I can do a dry shave and all the clipping are captured inside the razor.

Ugh, or every 3rd day take a slightly longer shower and use the double blade disposable razor.

I will have a laptop, cell phone, 2 lights,
to keep charged. Easy to add an electric shaver.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #12

I'm new around here, thought this was an entertainment thread...apparently not. I guess I have bigger problems than figuring out how to charge an electric razor once a week or so. My Norelco style electric razor holds a 60 minute charge...that's a lot of shaving.
bob91yj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #13

Boy oh boy, I feel like I'm the only one I know that enjoys shaving. I truly look forward to the every morning ritual. My regimen entails soaking a cake of shaving soap in a shaving mug with very hot water, and my brush submerged at the same time. The Badger hair brush yields luxury lather, and I always shave after I shower, when my beard is moist. I have used a heavy metal handled Gilette multi-blade razor for decades. I relish the feeling of a completely smooth face. Just odd I guess. I find the appearance of a short stubble beard on myself and others unappealing. R.T.
Foot_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
I'm new around here, thought this was an entertainment thread...apparently not. I guess I have bigger problems than figuring out how to charge an electric razor once a week or so. My Norelco style electric razor holds a 60 minute charge...that's a lot of shaving.
I'm sure we've all got bigger problems, but that doesn't keep us from thinking about the smaller ones.