Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #1

I am currently using my toyhauler for an extended period during hunting season which I will be using it off and on over the next month of so. During the interim periods it will be parked in a remote storage situation which I would like leave the refridgerator on but will not have access to electricity. If I start with a full 7.5 gallon tank (assuming 80% full after OPD) and run the refer only (no heat, waterheater, pilot lights, etc) does anyone have any idea how long I can safely run it without having to worry about running out and spoiling its contents. BTW it is an 8 c.f. and ambient air temps currently range from 40 - 75 degrees F.

Thanks,

'bob

2005 Attitude 26FSAK
Dunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #2

I am currently using my toyhauler for an extended period during hunting season which I will be using it off and on over the next month of so. During the interim periods it will be parked in a remote storage situation which I would like leave the refridgerator on but will not have access to electricity. If I start with a full 7.5 gallon tank (assuming 80% full after OPD) and run the refer only (no heat, waterheater, pilot lights, etc) does anyone have any idea how long I can safely run it without having to worry about running out and spoiling its contents. BTW it is an 8 c.f. and ambient air temps currently range from 40 - 75 degrees F.

Thanks,

'bob

2005 Attitude 26FSAK
Old 09-16-2008, 03:51 AM   #3

mine will run for about a month up here in Payson...

good luck
Old 09-16-2008, 05:50 AM   #4

Thanks for the response Dean. So, conservatively, I was hoping to be able to run it for about 2 weeks up near Flagstaff before I will be able to switch out tanks.

mg

2005 Attitude 26FSAK
Old 09-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #5

Your not worried about just leaving it run without you there for so long? I'd be worried it'd catch my trailer on fire. I don't like leaving mine for more than a few hours. Maybee I'm just being paranoid. When I leave my trailer for anylonger than over night I shut everything off, diconect the battery and turn off the propane at the tanks.

One more thing to think of is will your batteries run the fridge that long?

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #6

Radguy,

why are you so paranoid???
Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just had to run my fridge on gas for 68 hrs due to elect off.I have 2 deep cycle batt an after 48 hrs they started to show 50% charge.Nothing else on but refridge propane detictor an thermostat for furnace witch was off.Hooked to gen an charged over nite to bring up to 100%.I dont think batt would last more than 4-5 days.If dont have gen plug into truck to bring batt up.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:55 AM   #8

I'd be more concerned about running out of battery power unless you have solar panels to top off your batteries.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WaveMaker:
Radguy,

why are you so paranoid??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know these things just seem like tinder boxes. What if you loose all your amonia and the burner over heats cause your not there to catch it, poof, fire.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I'm with you RedGuy. I didn't know that the refrigerator on my first 5'er had been recalled for fire risk. If I'd ever left it running for an extended period of time, who knows what would have happened. And who knows what's gotten knocked loose, worn out, rusted, etc. when it comes to these things. There are so many stories about RV's going up in flames, I'm a bit paranoid as well. Can't you just take the contents of the little refrigerator when you leave and bring it back when you come back? That would seem a lot safer than leaving the propane running to keep the fridge cold. Excuse me if I'm paranoid, but in my book, better safe than sorry.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:01 AM   #11

O.K. So I went 16 days on a single tank before I switched out. That included 8 days total of combined use of the water heater and stove/range. As it turned out the trailer was intermittently used and there was no period of time more than three days between use by someone in our party and the batteries being charged.

Fortunately, is was not cold enough to require the use of heat of I am sure as the tank would of only lasted a few days

As far as being cautious/paranoid I guess I figure it to be a calculated risk. I don't think that Dometic would be in business very long if they could not build a sustainable product that you could not use for more than 8 hrs without a legitmate fear of fire. For me, I don't buy lottery tickets and I don't put my life on hold out of fear of one-in-a-million "what could happens". I took too many statistics classes in college to know better. If I am wrong, I figure that is what I buy insurance for.

Thanks for your responses and here's to the open road.

michael

2005 Attitude 26FSAK
Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #12

When we boondock we have fridge on gas for 2-3 days at least........as we have no power hook ups.
I don't even think about it.
If batteries need recharging we just crank up the Hondas!
The thing can burn down with me in it too - can't worry about everything!
Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #13

If you want to do the math, here's the way:
Propane contains 91,690 btu per gallon.
Find the btu input for your refrigerator from the data plate.
Assuming no other uses or loss of propane, divide the refrigerator input btu into 91,690.
This makes it obvious the RV batteries will deplete before the propane supply.

Most recent RV refrigerators draw about 1.2A-DC whether they are operating on AC or propane.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #14

Thats it....

Dometic wouldent be in business for so long with a Crappy refigerater...
YES i use Insurance tooo...

here to the open ROAD....

Dean