Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Neil, that is good to know. I believe we have auto start on ours but we've never used it. We'll have to check that out. We do turn the gennie off overnight, typically. And yes, I've noticed that a lot of the smaller RV generators are far noisier than our 12,500.

Brenda, of

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #16

Brenda Are you saying on 8-10 hour driving days you run the gen while driving?>???

I am not sure about auto start!!! I don't want the Gen to start up in the middle of the night!!!

I think about 3 hours a day should be Good!!

Rick

Old 10-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Latitude:
Brenda Are you saying on 8-10 hour driving days you run the gen while driving?&gt;???

I am not sure about auto start!!! I don't want the Gen to start up in the middle of the night!!!

I think about 3 hours a day should be Good!!

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The EC30 has settings for quiet time and will not start the genny durring that timeframe. Mine is set to observe a 10PM to 7AM quiet time and will not autostart between those hours.

I was on a construction site yesterday with mine and it was nice the have a cool comfortable coach all day even though the effective temperature was 102 degrees and still have close to the same fuel level at the end of the day as I did at the beginning instead of seeing the very obvious difference we use to see before installing the autostart.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, we run it while driving.

Brenda, of...
Old 10-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Nothing like getting away from the city by driving to a remote boondocking camping location to enjoy the great outdoors, and being stuck with the sound and smell of internal combustion engines running all day. Wonderful!

Almost as much fun as jet skis on my favorite bass lakes.

My answer to the OP's question of how long to run a generator when boondocking is "not at all" or only when absolutely necessary.

The Federal and Sate Park systems were made for the preservation and enjoyment of nature and the great outdoors.

The use of electrical appliances should not be allowed to unduly encroach on folks' enjoyment of the natural quietude of the great outdoors.

Do folks actually think that their boondocking neighbors made the effort and paid the expewnse of time and money to set up at a remote site in order to listen to the droning of internal combustion engines all day long?

Or, are they so calloused and insulated from the world around them that they don't even care?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Opinions abound... why would we have purchased the coach best made for extended boondocking with the biggest (and quietest) generator available, only to not to use it? We are considerate of our neighbors, however, if you don't like the sound of a gennie running in a no power campsite that is set up for and available to large coaches, don't park near us. If you're nice, however, no doubt you'll be invited over for cocktails in our comfy coach.

For the record, the locations we typically go are quite often literally held in "the middle of nowhere", for off road vintage motorcycle events. Bikes are running at the crack of dawn and throughout the day, and into the evening. Our generator is nothing compared to a hundred or so vintage bikes. And as I said earlier, it typically goes off at night.

Have fun!

Brenda, of...
Old 10-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Just try to remember that while you are isolated in your comfy rig having coctails most of those boondocking camping have made a considerable effort to do so in order to enjoy the great outdoors.

No matter how big and quiet you think it is, I'm sure most folks would prefer to hear the birds chrping and to smell the pine and flowers - and not be stuck with dealing your stinky and noisy generator!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:45 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HB Phil:
Just try to remember that while you are isolated in your comfy rig having coctails most of those boondocking camping have made a considerable effort to do so in order to enjoy the great outdoors.

No matter how big and quiet you think it is, I'm sure most folks would prefer to hear the birds chrping and to smell the pine and flowers - and not be stuck with dealing your stinky and noisy generator! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The most comments I get on mine are. Oh its running! I didn't hear it until I stepped behind your coach. How did you find one so quiet.

When it is 102 degrees out during the day it is not unreasonable to let the genny cycle to take the edge off.

Now I have camped near people running the contractors special or a bargain basement coach with a high rpm genny and yes those cheap units throw off a ton of noise and should be left off except for brief moments midday when they are really needed.

In reality I have not been bothered by generators while boondocking but roudies hooting and hollering, whooping it up, banging around coolers and camp chairs at 1AM or 2AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #23

Thankfully the NYS (DEC) parks where we boondock in the Adirondacks have limited generator hours -- 9-11am, and 4-7pm. This way we can sit out at our campsite next to the lake and hear the screeches and howels of the Loons (and I don't mean the campers in the next site).
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #24

I have to say we do a fair amount of boondocking but we also go to parking lot camping for some of the riding areas we use. The problem here is not noise although I to hate the cheap loud gens. The main issue is my exhaust would go right into the trailer door next to me... so to avoid this I have a Honda 2000i that I set to the back of my trailer and let it run... I am able to use the A/C, or microwave but not both at the same time. It works well if needed but I much prefer being by ourselves...

We try hard to not run anything unless we have to but when we do even the 4K genset is not very loud and of course runs everything...

What I have... 30 Foot Thor Wanderer.
Outlaw525 is offline   Reply With Quote