Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

How many days.......

Experienced boondockers...approximately how long do you think 2 adults could drydock for on 26 gal fresh, 15 gal gray, and 9 gal black?

Thank you in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

Less than a week.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #3

If it's a couple of guys working for me they could last several weeks !
Old 10-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A week at best.

Don't make the mistake of not using the toilet for urine or not putting enough water down the toilet when flushing in order to try to save water or room in the black tank, or you'll have problems down the line dumping the black tank.

If you want to boondock, you need a better equipped trailer. I was very careful about water and sewage tank usage and was able to boondock from June 20 to September 30 this summer. I would haul water to the trailer, use a bin in the kitchen sink for washing dishes, used paper plates anytime I could, and used toilets other than in my trailer, and was able to stretch out the time I needed to dump a long time. I have 40 gallon sewage tanks, though, and it's just me.

You have 15 and 9, and there are two of you.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

Great information....thank you for taking the time to respond!
Old 10-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
A week at best.

Don't make the mistake of not using the toilet for urine or not putting enough water down the toilet when flushing in order to try to save water or room in the black tank, or you'll have problems down the line dumping the black tank.

If you want to boondock, you need a better equipped trailer. I was very careful about water and sewage tank usage and was able to boondock from June 20 to September 30 this summer. I would haul water to the trailer, use a bin in the kitchen sink for washing dishes, used paper plates anytime I could, and used toilets other than in my trailer, and was able to stretch out the time I needed to dump a long time. I have 40 gallon sewage tanks, though, and it's just me.

You have 15 and 9, and there are two of you.
Wonderful information, thank you!
Old 10-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Drinking water in gallon jugs. Fresh water tank for navy showers. Save sink water for flushing toilet. You can even recycle the gray water for flushing toilet. Invest in a composting toilet which uses no water. Use other available shower / toilet facilities. A lot depends on where you are boondocking.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:50 AM   #8

My son and I, probably 5 days or so. My wife and I, day and a half...tops.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm2good View Post
My son and I, probably 5 days or so. My wife and I, day and a half...tops.
LOL.....are you saying we women are "high maintenance"?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

26 gallons, I suppose it depends a little bit on the location and time of year.

I have camped in the summer in the sierras and it is pretty dusty, not the kind that easily brushes off, but a sticky kind of dust that mixes with sweat and really needs to be washed off. Combined with drinking water needs, I could see easily using 10 gallons per person per day.

If I remember correctly, the recommended drinking water consumption in deserts is something like 2 gallons per day. A lot of tourist get in trouble in the southwest underestimating their drinking water needs.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #11

Your fresh water tank would last us one week. It's your small gray and black tanks that you'll have to keep watch.

You can always bring along more fresh water.

The biggest waste for the gray tank is showering. While waiting for the hot water to get to the faucet, catch it in a jug and use it for your dish washing - don't just let it go down the drain. You need to learn to take Navy showers - wet down briefly. Turn the water off. Soap up. Rinse fast. Turn the water off. Use a 'dry' shampoo inbetween.

Washing hands can also be a water/grey tank waste. Never leave the water running. Can also use the disinfectant wipes now readily available.

Teeth brushing - take a small paper bath cup and fill with water. Dip the toothbrush in to wet it before adding paste. Brush teeth. Take one gulp of the cup water to swish mouth. Rinse brush in the rest. Saves a LOT of water.

As stated, dishwasher water can be used to flush the toilet...be sure the water pump is turned off or it was also flush the toilet - double whammy!

It gets fun and challenging after a while - like a game to see how long you can make the tanks last.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting how people do things differently. Boondocking to me is living a relatively normal life not a minimalist lifestyle. Navy shower? Not. Composting toilet? Not. Recycling grey water to flush a toilet? Really. Yikes, not for me.
I can go 10-14 days living relatively normally. I also have large fresh water tank and holding tanks. When they are empty or full then it is time to pack out and head somewhere else most likely. Or if I am allowed I can head right back where I was.
But to each their own and that is what makes the world go round.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Interesting how people do things differently. Boondocking to me is living a relatively normal life not a minimalist lifestyle. I can go 10-14 days living relatively normally. I also have large fresh water tank and holding tanks.
The OP gave these tank sizes and asked how long THEY could go on them. If they wanted to go longer then they'd have to make some adjustments.

"approximately how long do you think 2 adults could drydock for on 26 gal fresh, 15 gal gray, and 9 gal black"?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Not long.