Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:52 PM   #29
Monaco Owners Club
I have a 15.5 CF residential refrigerator with a dedicated inverter and 200 watts of solar with 6 6vt batteries. I have found it very adequate for occasional overnighting. I have not tried extended dry camping, but am very happy with this setup. I use very little 12v power otherwise.

Bev & Dick and Fuzzy the cat
2005 Safari Cheetah 38
2009 Honda CRV dinghy
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #30
I have a 25 cf residential fridge and run the generator from 1-2 hrs/day to make up the daily deficit in the spring and summer. But, there are a lot of variables.

Len, Sally & Sprocket
2014 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 2013 F350 DRW w/Trailersaver
600 Watts solar, Tristar MPPT 45 & 400 AMPS Storage
Dranoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #31
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I totally agree. But with the residential refrigerator, you're going to need a pretty good amount of solar--more than you're going to want to have portable panels for.

We dithered on solar for a while, back when it was quite expensive (2005), and finally decided that the deciding factor would be if we wanted to do it, mainly to not have to listen to the generator, and not whether it made financial sense.

We have 1,050 watts flat-mounted on the roof. If we're in the sun, we can go pretty much indefinitely without running the generator, but we have a propane refrigerator. I worked through some numbers and concluded we wouldn't be able to do that if we had a residential refrigerator.

Sure enough, there's a guy who has 1,000 watts of solar on this same type of motorhome, but he has a residential refrigerator and he reports that he runs his generator every 2-3 days, which comports with what my numbers told me.

I ditto the above post as I have 1040 watts of panels on my 28 foot Tiffin Breeze, big wiring to minimize losses, Morningstar TS-60-MPPT controller, Xlink pro battery monitor and love the silent sound of 60 amps of charging power while camping in the woods (20 amps on full overcast days). I too have a propane fridge but switch it over to solar when the batteries are fully charged most sunny afternoons. (draws 30 amps).

It doesn't have to be expensive-1040 watts of panels, Morningstar controller and 12 & 4 gage wiring- $1425 total cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	142738   Click image for larger version

Name:	meter.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	142739  

Click image for larger version

Name:	autm.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	142740  
2012 Allegro Breeze 28BR, 1.1Kw solar & 2012 Honda CRV
Favorites -National Parks & Monuments and State Park Camping
ScottHelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM   #32
Full Wall slide on My rig so I have plenty of space on the roof for 4 255 watt high voltage panels flat! 8 z brackets/panel. No tilting on this rig. I don't have ANY AC units casting a shadow in the late afternoon. I typically point the nose north.
2 strings paralled. Running 60 volts so I can run 12g PV wire with branch connectors so NO COMBINER BOX NEEDED!
I used A simple entry plate just over the closet (left rear) for a super water tight seal. Batteries are also on the left rear so it was a straight shot down. Midnight Solar Classic light 200 connected to my internal network lets me keep a close eye on what's going on.
I replaced the cooked Norcold cooling unit on the 4 door with an Amish cooling unit and VERY glad I did. Did NOT want a residential fridge. Even in 95 to 100 deg temps out here in Quartzsite she keeps her cool.
Running 4 Interstate 220ah deep cycle 6v batteries so i'm around 440ah total. Will U/G the batteries down the road. I could go for weeks w/o running the genset but we do like to watch Dish network via Pathway x2 in the late evening so we run the generator to charge the batts about 2hr.s/night.
We also pump water from the 60 gallon bladder in the back of the jeep, run convection and will sometimes run a load of clothes or two while genset is running (multitasking).
Onan Quiet Diesel 7500 sips the diesel. So glad I don't have a gas or LP genset.

LOVE the boondocking lifestyle out here in LaPosa West With the solar we can run the two vent fans All day. Also, brewing a pot of coffee in the AM w/o the generator is wonderful. We have a mean lean boondocking machine!

Robert & Deb
07 Discovery 39v FWS Full Timers, Quartsite AZ
1K solar - 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote