Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #1

How much water do you use?

I am planning to boon dock with a generator but do not have water. I can carry water but it is clumsy at best. Heavy and difficult to carry.

How much water would 1 man need per day. That will include a navy shower. I will be drinking other water in gallon jugs. I will be using 1 plate, 1 fork 1 kings 1 spoon.

I am thinking as little as 4 to 5 gallons out if the fresh water tank per day. Would like to only get water once a week. At 4 gallons per day that is less than 30 gallons per week. Doable, or will I use more?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #2

Doable if limited to no toilet use
Contrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am planning to boon dock with a generator but do not have water. I can carry water but it is clumsy at best. Heavy and difficult to carry.

How much water would 1 man need per day. That will include a navy shower. I will be drinking other water in gallon jugs. I will be using 1 plate, 1 fork 1 kings 1 spoon.

I am thinking as little as 4 to 5 gallons out if the fresh water tank per day. Would like to only get water once a week. At 4 gallons per day that is less than 30 gallons per week. Doable, or will I use more?
You don't say what your water capacity is, or if there is any capacity at all. We, 2 adults, can easily go a week on 60 gallons of water using toilet, washing dishes and around 4 showers each. So 30 gals. ought to work for you even with toilet use.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #4

I have a 42 gallon water tank on an vintage winnebago. Limited toilet use, basically only at night when I don't want to go outside, and no indoor shower so I do outdoor showers every 3 days or so. This is my drinking ,cooking and dish washing water and this last me 10-14 days on my own.
perlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #5

We have a 70 gallon fresh water tank and 10 gallon water heater

2 adults and 1 large dog
FTd so showers, cooking, washing dishes, toilet usage.....we could stretch it to 10 days being VERY conservative with water use.

Bathroom sink can be a high water usage.....folks forget to turn water OFF when brushing teeth, washing hands/face, combing hair etc.

Showers...step in, wet down/turn off, soap up then rinse off.

Kitchen sink....it is a double

one side partial fill with soapy water other side used dish pan with clean water to rinse. No running water to rinse. Dish pan was used to flush toilet after doing dishes

Toilet was probably our highest water usage item.
I refused to deal with a black tank issue so toilet bowl was filled with water when flushing #2

Pay attention/think about how you use water.
You'd be surprised at how much you can save (not waste) with just a small change in 'habits'
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #6

I have a 50 gallon fresh water tank that I can fill once before I set up. I will fill the 10 gallon hot water tank also.

After that I will need to carry water.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

Doable !!
We (2)have a 100gallon fresh water tank and can go 2 weeks. That is roughly 3.75 gallons/day/person.
There are ways to use the same water more than once: Never flush w/ fresh water. Our dish rinse water becomes our dish wash water then becomes our flush water. We catch this water in dish pans. We heat the dish water in a seperate T-kettle only used for that purpose. We also catch the water while the shower warms up, and use as fresh.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #8

You can easily do it allowing 4 gal/day for one person. Utensils? Just wet a paper towel (a few drops of water) & wipe them off. Same goes for your cooking pan(s) - wipe them out and reuse. Buy some cheap paper plates and use them as a liner for your regular plate.

Don't let the water run for washing hands or for brushing teeth.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #9

You can save a lot of shower water by diluting some soft soap into a cycling water bottle. Soap up with that and you can rinse off with less than a half gallon of fresh. Used to do it when i was tent camping.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #10

I will use 1/4 of a 12 oz bottle of water to brush my teeth. I will not be using the toliet as I will be making a trip daily to town 3.5 miles away to eat etc. I will be taking showers, washing hands. That is it. I may take more than a navy shower now and then.

I am planning to run the generator about 3 hours a day to keep the battery / cell phone charged.

I will need the generator to pump water into the fresh water tank as this trailer has a check valve to the recessed water inlet. Not the old fashion gravity feed fresh water tank fill.

I might switch to using paper plates and cups and bowls...but that brings up the problem of garbage that I have a plan for but not until at the end of the boondocking.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #11

We do fine on 5 gallons pp/day with moderate conservation. You can do it on 4.
Dranoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #12

Last year my wife and I used 21 gallons of water over an 8 day period at an astronomy camping event. We were using a cargo trailer with no plumbing. We drank bottled water that we froze in our Engle freezer and put in cooler after they froze. Once they thawed out we used them for drinking. The 21 gallon total doesn't include the bottled water.

We showered every other day using a 2 gallon bucket and a rechargeable shower pump/hose/head. We had a portable shower tent for privacy. The other use of the water was for washing hands, cooking and doing dishes.

We used the sites porta-potties so no water went into a black tank.

We now have an Arctic Fox 22G. It has a 46 gallon fresh water capacity. With frugal water usages we should be able to go 8 days or so. We will have access to porta-potties.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #13

Not a funny story, but I had an ex that would not conserve water. When we boon docked I was carrying water every other day it seemed like. She is now the ex.

It is good if both people have the same mindset about conserving water.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #14

When I was "camping" in my truck, (Running OTR, hate fast food), and waiting my turn for truckstop shower cut into when I wanted to sleep I rarely used over a case of water a week. (Lot of places, water does not taste good. Drink bottled, then refill bottles for other uses.
For washing dishes, wipe clean, spray with soapy water, wipe, spray with clear water, wipe and store. (Cheap spray bottle, fill about every three weeks) Before next use wipe with rubbing alcohol.
Carried "No Rinse" body wash, and "Waterless Shampoo", used about a QT of water to bathe.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water