Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #1

How to cover a recess mounted Olympian Wave heater?

I recently installed my Wave 6 recessed in the cabinet but I also discovered that I can no longer use the cover which came with it since now the cover doesn't fit. Seems odd that Campco doesn't offer a cover for the recess kit when they are so specific about making sure the heater is covered when not in use. How does anyone else with a recess mounted Wave heater cover it up? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A picture of the set-up would help.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is it this one?:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Olympian Wave 6.jpg
Views:	4505
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	51213
Ben's Blog II: Catalytic Heater
and
Olympian Wave 6 Catalytic Safety Heater - Camco 57341 - Portable Heaters - Camping World

Looks like any metal screen could be used as a new cover...just be careful about heat transfer/contact from the screen to what ever you recessed the heater inside of.

If you post a picture, maybe some of our more talented members could suggest a modification(?)

Safe travels and stay warm
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

My apologies. I figured most anyone who has ever dealt with catalytic heaters would know what a Wave 6 was. And yes, the one pictured is exactly the unit I was referring too. For anyone who isnt familiar with these types of heater manufactures, you can either mount them on legs so their portable, or mount them on screws hanging "surface" mounted as is the one pictured, and you can also cut a hole in the wall and mount them "recessed".

My original question is in relation to the fact that the Olympian Wave heaters are specifically addressed as they must be covered when not in use so as not to allow dust to collect on the media. So Olympian offers a cover for the portable heater and for the surface mounted heater but not for the recessed mounted heater. I was hoping that someone here has found this out as well and come up with a solution. I certainly can just fabricate something but wanted to see what ingenuity anyone here came up with too.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ahhh, now I understand the "covered when not in use" part of the original post.

I saw pictures of the bag they sell for it when looking for pictures of the Wave 6. Makes sense that the catalyst must be kept free of dust and dirt.

Best luck on the cure. I would guess a simple door or cabinet blank would protect the front...as long as the backside mounting system doesn't have big gaps to allow dust entering from the rear.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might try a canvas/lint free cloth cover with a drawstring or earth magnets to hold it in place.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #7

I think the term the term Olympian uses is "dust poisoning". We have an 8 and are happy with it.
Reed and Elaine
Old 12-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That looks like a nice heater, but I checked the CW link and it says 6000 BTU.
Is that right or is that a Typo because my $80 Little Buddy heater says it puts out up 12000 BTU.

I would consider buying some snaps and using the cover you have. Shouldn't take much modification.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Is that right or is that a Typo because my $80 Little Buddy heater says it puts out up 12000 BTU.

I would consider buying some snaps and using the cover you have. Shouldn't take much modification.
No typo as 6000 btu's is the maximum rating for the Wave 6. The Wave 3 and Wave 8 are lower and higher btu's. Yes there are other types of portable heaters and ones which put out more btu but the advantages of the Olympian Wave heaters is that they're true CAT heaters which are almost 100% efficient and safe and that they work up to 12,000 feet elevation whereas lots of other heaters are only up to around 6k-8k feet high before they no longer work. Depending on where you live or where you RV that could be a problem.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #10

We have used Olympian Wave 8 at 10400 feet in Rockies. Do not think we shall be set up much higher. It was dispersed camping and had Moose come within 50 meters. Not using a generator helps for nature viewing
Old 03-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #11

I use a Wave 8, but not recessed into a wall. That is odd that they would be really big on recessing them but have no provision for covering it in that situation. Have you contacted customer service and asked? Could you possibly get some kind of elasticized cover made, that would fit and stay in place?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
max49
12,000 BTU Little Buddy?
Can you post a link to that heater?
The only "Little Buddy" heater I can find is only 3,800 BTU.
Thanks
Mel
'96 Safari.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln4 View Post
I use a Wave 8, but not recessed into a wall. That is odd that they would be really big on recessing them but have no provision for covering it in that situation. Have you contacted customer service and asked? Could you possibly get some kind of elasticized cover made, that would fit and stay in place?
I actually did contact their technical department and talked to them extensively about the situation. So they explained was yeah they agree with me that its strange no cover is available for the recess kit and that the Wave heater was purchased by Olympian from another company and they are not the original designers. So within in regards to installation requirements and current covers, they only have what they have and only know what the specifications tell them. In saying that, there was no talk about coming out with a "recessed" cover. I currently have the wall mounted cover on it which has elastic around it drooping off the heater but I plan on making something up here soon when I get around to it.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #14

I googled recessed covers for Olympian 8's and found a few that cost around $30. We had to send our back to Camco for refurbishment since there was a combination of non-filtered propane and dust poisoning (we smelled a lot of unburned propane coming off).

We plan to mount the heater (it should be at our son's place by this weekend) on the back of the sliding island that comes with the Open Range 5th wheels.

The question we have is: Has anyone fabricated a glass cover for an Olympian Wave to prevent dust poisoning, and if so, were there any problems encountered

Reed Cundiff

Tags
heater