Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #43

iRV2 No Limits Club
Since our trailer is a teardrop the heater is in a surplus aluminum case and attached via 3" high temp hoses to deck plates in the side of the trailer, these are also used for the AC unit. That way it can be left home when not needed.
We are definably not typical and the 7,000 btu unit is about 5X5X12" with clearance. If you look at the Eberspacher or Espar web site for the manual you will see mounting options and there are an assortment of fittings that can be used. As a foot note I can also use the heater in the garage during the winter for heat. It will be fed from a 2 1/2 gallon outboard gas tank which I just picked up.
The local Thermo King dealer was helpful to me as mine came with a defective wiring harness (they pulled one out of a kit) and they can install a unit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cold Boondock

Wanabee FTer
When I drove long haul conservation of fuel was critical so letting the engine run at night to keep the heater on was not a good idea. So I bought a 12v truck & RV Mattress Pad. Size is 36 by 30. Pin it to the mattress under the sheet. Uses 3 amps. Costs just under $100.00. Has temp settings and thermostatic control. COZY WINTERS 1 800 340-1528. Need a good blanket. In an RV you could set the thermostat lower to conserve propane and still be comfortable. We have one coming soon for our RV . Just my .02 cents.
Have fun
Milt

Old 03-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #45

Workhorse Chassis Owner
oops

Wannabee FTer
I goofed on the size of the Pad. It is 36" X 60" not 36X30.Have fun
Have Fun.
Milt
Old 03-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #46

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the post popsuscdds,
Since I started this post, we have since added 2 down comforters and upgraded the battery bank to 375 ah. Between those 2 upgrades it would have to get pretty darned cold before I would have any problem, but DW is a different story. She is still scared to death of being too cold

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #47

Put a woodstove in and be done with it.. thats what I did and have no regrets!
Old 03-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
We have a down comforter at night and a Mr.Buddy heater to take any chill off in the morning. We keep 2 windows cracked for airflow while using the heater and it works like a charm.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #49

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
We have a down comforter at night and a Mr.Buddy heater to take any chill off in the morning.

Thanks for the info, but I wont be passing this on to DW.
If we do anything to make it warmer inside the MH, I'll pop wide open like a popcorn kernel

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
This is the upside of a wife with hot flashes. Makes for great snuggeling on those cold nights.
And if your wife isn't warm enough get yourself 2 golden retrievers.

Between the Mrs and our dogs we're toasty on those cold night. Besides we prefer cold over being too hot. If I tried putting the thermostat on 70 she'd shoot me.

We have 400 watts of solar so this recharges the battery draw the suburban furnace uses during the night. No need to run the gennie.

Just got back from the Davis Mountains in Texas and is was in the single digits at night.

SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote