RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #1

Hungry Horse - Glacier NF

I hear the west reservoir road (NF Road 895) can be tight after you pass over the dam. I'd like to stay back at one of the NF Campgrounds on the west side of the the reservoir. Anyone know how tight that road gets? It looks reasonable on google maps. Want to stay a few days at lid creek. The sites are long enough (49 feet), and I can see some big rigs in the pictures. But very few RV reviews on the net...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 11:18 PM   #2

Here are a few pics. It says the road is paved to the site so I wouldn't have any qualms about driving it. By the way, it's in Flathead Nat'l Forest; not Glacier. Looks pleasant!

Lid Creek Campground

Since you seem to enjoy national forest camping as we do, have you ever seen this site?

https://www.forestcamping.com/dow/northern/flat.htm

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #3

Thank you for the resources!

I took a trip out west two years ago following a similar path and was pretty disappointed with staying in RV parks. I really wanted to get into the parks, but our rig is too big for most, and reservations are years out, which requires a rigid travel schedule.

That left us feeling rushed. This is the first trip (5 weeks) where we will be boondocking in National Forests almost the entire 5 weeks. We'll been in Page, North Kaibab, Dixie, Flaming Gorge, then staying in Cody for a week while hosting family, before heading on to Hungry Horse. I wouldn't mind at all boondocking closer to YNP , but I also wanted to do some of the touristy things there that I missed last time in Cody.

I'm excited to be free of the burden of campgrounds for the most part and be further from the herd. I have a basic Solar setup with an inverter and 2 Golf cart 6v as well as a used onan 5500 that I put together over the winter specifically for this trip.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #4

If you know how to keep on your 1/2 of the road you won't have any problems. Be aware logging trucks ply that road and the always have the right of way. Don't push the issue on corners and keep your speed down. If you get vehicles behind you, pull over or at least stop in a straight section of road. There are also a couple of very nice CGs and fishing access sites on the North Fork Road out of Columbia Falls. Also some nice Forest Service ones along Hwy 2 over Marias Pass. It's a beautiful area, enjoy.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #5

defekticon,

Just to avoid steering you wrong, I took a trip up there yesterday. I hadn't been up there for years and the road is in great shape to Wounded Buck (Lid Creek). Beautiful pavement but way less width than you might be used to and very twisty. You should have no problems as it looks like logging traffic is minimal this year. There will be other RVs and possibly stock trucks so keep right and under 25mph. There are numerous other camping spots along the way there. If you have a toy in that hauler, I'd unpack it and putt up the road and see where you want to go. Caution: there are several roads you cannot turn your RV around on. There is a good parking area just over the dam. Enjoy, BTW don't miss the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody. It is world class.

Ken
Old Today, 09:24 AM   #6

Thank you for the heads up. It's a big rig, no toys this trip. I have a flatbed on my dually so I can more than jacknife the trailer to get it through complicated areas. I'm willing to push it to find a cool spot. I feel like the last trip I took out west two years ago I really avoided places like national forests and stayed too far from the places I wanted to be, because I was afraid of getting there. That's worn off now that I've had the trailer for awhile and 30k miles later, I've gotten better at navigating terrain with the rig. I do intend to hit up the Wild Bill museum again this year. I went in 2017 and it was great.