Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

Hydronic heating and boondocking

How viable is it to have Hydronic heating and be able to boondock/Dry camp for 5 days?

I'd have about 600 A/hr usable from the batteries ( could be more, haven't installed battery/PV system yet.) My current usage is about 100 A/hrs per day on the existing coach. I'm looking at a new one and wondering if it's viable. (I'm leaning towards not.)

Looking at the docs for the Aqua-Hot 400D it lists the DC power at 175W 12VDC (includes pumps??? and current draw number seem to depend on which document you look at.), so about 15 A/hr at 100% duty cycle.

Thanks for your input.

J. Sadler

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a AquaHot 600D, 4-8D 12Volt batteries, 400 watts of solar and a 22 cf home refer/freezer. So far we haven't had a chance to see how it goes for us. We're not big on boondocking either so an overnight or two on the way to a destination is about it for us so far.

Our AquaHot burns about 1/3rd gallon per hour of run time so diesel usage shouldn't be a problem for you as long is it's above 1/4 full and stays above that.

When you say 400 amps usable is that down to the 50% charge limit that is usually used for deep cycle batteries?

But going from previous experience with our past rigs you will probably have to run the gen a couple times a day for about 2 hrs each time.

Curious about the answers you get.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsadler View Post
How viable is it to have Hydronic heating and be able to boondock/Dry camp for 5 days?

I'd have about 600 A/hr usable from the batteries ( could be more, haven't installed battery/PV system yet.) My current usage is about 100 A/hrs per day on the existing coach. I'm looking at a new one and wondering if it's viable. (I'm leaning towards not.)

Looking at the docs for the Aqua-Hot 400D it lists the DC power at 175W 12VDC (includes pumps??? and current draw number seem to depend on which document you look at.), so about 15 A/hr at 100% duty cycle.

Thanks for your input.

J. Sadler
600 A/hr?? Unless you have a huge compartment to hold that many batteries or they are lithium-ion. If you have lead-acid batteries, you have to cut the A/hrs by half to keep from hurting the batteries. Most coaches come with 6 6-volt lead-acid batteries that are rated at 215 A/h. 215 x 6= 1290 Ah. Because you run 12volts, you have to cut that number by 1/2 or 645 A/h. To keep from discharging that amount by 50% to keep from hurting the batteries, you would only have 322 usable amp hours.

There are many options besides using electricity for heating.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #4

I just got back from the drag races in Las Vegas. I never ran the heater there but on the way home I stayed one night where I needed the heater. It was 45 when we parked at 7.00 pm and 35 when we woke up at 8.00 am. I had my Aqua hot set at 67 degrees for both stations.

I also have a Samsung fridge and we did watch tv for awhile before calling it a night.

When we stopped SOC was 100%. When I got up in the morning it was at 78% SOC.

I have no idea how much the heater ran so I can't help you with that!

I have 700 amp hours of Lithuim batteries that gives me 560 amp hours to use!

Hope that helps!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #5

Assuming that you don't camp at below freezing temps, it sounds like you will use maybe 100-150 AH/day for the heat in addition to the other 100AH that you currently use. If, indeed, you have about 325 AH usable you should be fine over a 24 hour period as far as battery-only power.

Keep in mind that you need to match your converter/charger size to your battery bank size for the best charging performance. You should shoot for a minimum of a C/10 charging rate, although a C/7 or C/8 rate will allow shorter generator run times if you are not operating in very hot climates.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies.
@hes4all that gives me a feel, thanks for info.
simonsrf I currently have a class C with 3 panels and 5 batteries and 500 A/hr (yes, 12V and because it was the only way to get that many A/Hrs in the space I have). I understand the 50% guideline.

The new rig we're looking at would have much more room and OCCC and have at least 6 to maybe 8 PV panels. And yes I'm looking at 800 A/hrs usable. FYI I really really don't like generators, thus the PV & batteries. I'm assuming that I would get some partial charging during the day (hopefully).
Old 11-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #7

I get lost in the amps and load and other geekiness BUT I do know we dry camped 4 nights and ran our Oasis every night. The morning we left, the temp was 24.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
I get lost in the amps and load and other geekiness BUT I do know we dry camped 4 nights and ran our Oasis every night. The morning we left, the temp was 24.
Did you run the generator during the day?
Old 11-06-2015, 06:10 AM   #9

We ran it in the evening for a couple of hours. Our coach is all electric so the fridge, what time the TV was on, laptop, various electronics were taking their share too. I used the microwave sparingly as well.

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, heat, heating