Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
saw this in Ohio... not sure what kind it is.
I lived in Arizona for 20 years and spent a lot of time in the desert hiking, biking, tent camping and riding motorcycles and also building homes in Cave Creek - Care Free area and have only seen one rattle snake.
Hmmm...I'm no expert but that looks like a Boa to me, not a native of the Buckeye state.

I lived in Mesa AZ for 5 years and saw a few snakes in the road - especially up around Canyon Lake on the road to Tortilla Flat. Never had an encounter hiking or at any other time, only saw them crossing the road. Also saw a few Roadrunners looking for snakes along the road! Love the diverse wildlife in Arizona.

Got stung by a scorpion there once. Saw a large tarantula cross the road near Florence and another one in a friends game room while shooting pool.

Almost hit a Javalina on my motorcycle near the Salt River. Then there's the bobcats and of course coyotes...barren southwest desert - HA!
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Snakes hide. During a recent contest that had 1,600 registered hunters only 68 pythons were found in Florida.

Florida Python Hunt Captures 68 Invasive Snakes

I don't worry much about snakes while camping, but I don't leave anything on the ground around my rig where a snake might want to hide.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Snakebites: First aid - MayoClinic.com
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I cant't believe being from NC you have not experienced a common occurrence here in the NC/TN mountains. Sitting out side and looking down under your chair to find a skunk under it. They wonder into campsites frequently here. Now that should get your attention almost as much as snakes.

Dave
Old 03-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #19

Last I checked, nobody has died from skunk-bite. They may have wished for death, though!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #20

skunks and raccoons are the most rabid animals in north america.

23 years living in the Mojave. I've only come upon 5 snakes in the wild, and two in buildings at work. At work they come in chasing mice and trying to keep warm. In the wild, I've never seen one more than a hundred yards from water.

If you were camping around water (meadows, etc) I certainly wouldn't sleep on the ground in a bag - one might decide to come in and get warm. That's where modern tents come in handy.

If it's dry with no rabbit/rodent scat or hidey holes, then not likely to find snakes.

For scorps don't put your hands under things - tarps, blankets, wood on the ground are prime places to hide. You can see them glow at night under UV.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #21

I think there is such a thing as snake chaps. They cover from your knees down. You will usually hear a rattle snake before you see them. Hiking Bear Butte SD I heard that high pitch rattle 1st, backed up then saw the rattle snake cross the trail and go under a log. Yep, I got the heebee jeebees.

There are rattle snake warnings all though the Bad Lands.

Hiking Black Mesa Ok. I thought for sure I would see snakes but did not - does not mean they were not there though.

I will be going out west next month to hike. Hope it is still cool enough that the snakes will be slow moving.

Florida is the worst for snakes. Check out pygmy rattle snake. What the heck. A small poisonous snake? Or aggressive water moccasins/cotton mouths. Saw two on kayak trips last winter. Breaking camp last year I would quicky pick up the outside carpet and jump back. Pick up a tarp and quickly jump back.

I think learning to jump back quick is the key to survival.

Also watch out for fire ants, killer bees and scorpions.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #22

Took this at a rest area between Phoenix and Tucson.
Welcome to Arizona!!!

I live in Tucson and I killed a small rattlesnake a year ago, it was hiding under
my trash can, next to the driveway. And I live in a housing development
with 600 houses, not in a rural area.
So your best bet is to stay back east, no snakes there.........

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	34543  
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Venomous Snake FAQs

Things more likely to kill you than a snake:

Driving to the west.
Accidents
Lightning
Dogs
Spiders

The ladder on your rig is a bigger danger to you than snakes.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #24

I was stationed in Yuma, AZ for 6 years and believe me, all the funny critters that people have mentioned do exist. We saw Sidewinders, Tarantulas, regular Rattlers, scorpions, horny toads, illegal aliens you name it we saw it. We even saw the dreaded "snow snake' our good Canadien friends mentions. Short story about Scorpions, one time we were having our field ops south of Tacna, AZ (south of I-8) and it was bed time. I shook out my sleeping bag for creepy crawlies and jumped in. Well I feel something weird crawl across my toes. I don't think I've ever moved that fast in my life. Shook out the sleeping bag again and low and behold, a scorpion was still in there. Didn't get stung, but it put the fear of God in me. So from there on out, I shook twice. And for you guys that think shaking more than once is playing with it, go ahead, it may save you some aggrevation later.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #25

We were recently at Lake Louisa State Park in Clermont, Fl. Site had lots of brush and some trees. I had been sitting out under the trees near the underbrush every day for about a week. One morning the spouse pointed out a snake crawling in the trees and brush (we were inside eating breakfast). That was it for me. No more sitting out. I do not care what type of snake it is. If it had dropped down on me, more than poo would be an issue, I would need an ambulance. BTW, the spouse saw a Eastern Rattler while he was on his walk one day and the camp host also had a snake on their site. Too many snakes for me!
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The best thing to do is get a reptile book and learn to identify the snakes in your area. As noted, most snakes are just as interested in getting away from you as you are from them...water moccasin excepted. The moccasins tend to have a nasty temper.

There are a number of non-venomous snakes that look very much like venomous snakes, but can still be identifies.

For every 1 venomous snake we see, we probably see 15 or 20 non-venomous snakes around our house.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Is there anything that keeps them away - like sulfur - or ultrasonics - or is that a bunch of hooey?
First I'd like to say that I've always thought that the South where you're from had more and deadlier snakes than we do in the West!

Anyway:
I camp in rattlesnake country a lot, and have had direct encounters only a few times. They dislike humans and will get out of your way if they can. It's my understanding that they don't have ears per se, but are very sensitive to vibrations. After my first several encounters, I decided that wearing a bell when in snake country would provide them with warning of my approach in time for them to leave. I put one on the dog, too...and I have to say that I haven't had a single snake encounter since I started doing that!

Also:
The wisest snake-advice I ever heard was given by a guide in New Zealand, where they evidently have REAL dangerous snakes. His instructions were to never run in such country, as approaching too fast is a sure way to "surprise" a snake and get bitten simply because it didn't have time to get out of the way.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #28

Here is a warning about bears that has to do with wearing bells.
Be sure to read all the way to the bottom........

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bear sign.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	34666  
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote