Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Clicky

https://picasaweb.google.com/1031785...eat=directlink

gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #30

I'm not overly concerned about encountering snakes while hiking - I know enough to make plenty of noise. I am concerned about the dog though, as he's curious and slightly stupid. The bell is a good idea.

I'm more concerned about sitting around outside my RV. If I'm reading or napping, or whatever, I tend to be still and quiet. That's why I was asking about something that would just keep them away. Maybe a generator is good for more than power

Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
saw this in Ohio... not sure what kind it is.
I lived in Arizona for 20 years and spent a lot of time in the desert hiking, biking, tent camping and riding motorcycles and also building homes in Cave Creek - Care Free area and have only seen one rattle snake.
Photo is not real clear on my computer but it appears to be maybe an Eastern Diamond Back or a Corn Snake. Could be a Moccasin but they are usually much darker.

In NW Florida we have the Pigmy Rattler, Eastern Diamond Back, Moccasin and Coral snakes. Wife once found a Pigmy Rattler on the window sill next to the washing machine. Laundry didn't get done until I got home.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I'm not overly concerned about encountering snakes while hiking - I know enough to make plenty of noise. I am concerned about the dog though, as he's curious and slightly stupid. The bell is a good idea.

I'm more concerned about sitting around outside my RV. If I'm reading or napping, or whatever, I tend to be still and quiet. That's why I was asking about something that would just keep them away. Maybe a generator is good for more than power
I s'pose this is sort of silly, but I've long wondered if it might actually work:

Anybody remember old cowboy movies where the cowboy would make a loop of his rope and sleep in the middle of the circle, theory being that rattlesnakes wouldn't cross the rope?

Could there be anything to that idea?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Is there anything that keeps them away - like sulfur - or ultrasonics - or is that a bunch of hooey?
In Texas, you can buy some stinky stuff that generally discourages them.
I'm fairly phobic of poisonous snakes also. We've got copperheads, rattlesnakes, cotton-mouths, coral snakes... At home we generally run into 2-3 per year (in our yard). As we've got kids and a dog, I'm pretty inflexible about co-habitation with venomous snakes.

Last year more than one rattlesnake got into the hanger where we keep a plane. That hanger is usually left dark, so it got to the point where we were *very* careful going in.

Snakes don't like people. However, they do like to get out of the sun if it's not and into the sun if it's cold. They'll find areas that allow them to do that - seek sun and seek shade. Take that opportunity away and you'll be OK. Provide it and they may show up.

I haven't had the pleasure of running into a truly aggressive poisonous snake. That being said, juvenile rattlesnakes can certainly kill a dog or small child... In addition, we've see *huge* rattle snakes in the area.

Statistically, snakes aren't a huge threat.. But they scare the heck out of me.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #34
doc

Appalachian Campers
As many trips as we have made in the West , from AZ north to Montana and inbetween, we have seen one snake. Saw several signs saying things like 'rattlesnakes in area - stay on trail' and 'danger - snakes in this area' at rest stops. The one snake we did encounter was something like 12-14 inches long and crawled off before I got a picture of it. I thought it was a baby but the next year we had a child in our SP climbing in some rocks the first warm day we had and as he topped a ledge by pulling up, he was hit by what the ranger said was a prarie rattle snake. I have no idea what it was, but the little snake almost caused the child to lose his life. Luckily there was a cell signal and the mom's phone had a GPS built in. Helicopter got him to Rapid and a hospital.
I don't like snakes!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
That story reminds me of what I always tell my Grandkids (and practice myself):
Watch where you put your hands on rocks, and never reach into a crevice! Leather gloves are a good idea for rock scrambling, too.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #36

Two campers were on a hike when one had to answer the call of nature. While the poo was coming out, he was bitten on the butt by a rattlesnake. The other hiker used his cell phone to call a doctor. The doctor told him to make two X cuts over each fang hole and then suck the venom out with his mouth. He asked what would happen if he did not do this and was told his friend would die. His friend asked what the doctor had said. He told him "you're going to die."
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #37

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
The wisest snake-advice I ever heard was given by a guide in New Zealand, where they evidently have REAL dangerous snakes. His instructions were to never run in such country, as approaching too fast is a sure way to "surprise" a snake and get bitten simply because it didn't have time to get out of the way.[/QUOTE]

Don't know who you were talking to, but we don't have ANY snakes in New Zealand, poisonous or otherwise. No dangerous spiders either, just sheep and cows and native birds and possums. Across the Tasman Sea in Australia however, that is another story!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGracie View Post

Don't know who you were talking to, but we don't have ANY snakes in New Zealand, poisonous or otherwise. No dangerous spiders either, just sheep and cows and native birds and possums. Across the Tasman Sea in Australia however, that is another story!
Thanks for the correction!

I got it muddled as it was relayed to me by a group of hikers I know that had taken a trip that included hikes in both New Zealand AND Australia...

And now I know which of those two places I'll be camping in if I ever get to go "down under"!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
Here is a warning about bears that has to do with wearing bells.
Be sure to read all the way to the bottom........

ROTFLMAO
Old 03-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
The photo was taken at Bartlett Lake in North Phoenix. It was sunny intself on the black top. Roughly 3 to 4 Ft. Wife told me to stay away, but well. Anyway I may himm go back into the brush to keep it safe.
The next day buddy and I saw it Kin hiking. It slither away.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
The photo was taken at Bartlett Lake in North Phoenix. It was sunny intself on the black top. Roughly 3 to 4 Ft. Wife told me to stay away, but well. Anyway I may himm go back into the brush to keep it safe.
The next day buddy and I saw it Kin hiking. It slither away.
A beautiful reptile. They are just trying to make a living. If you have ever watched an episode of Border Wars, the agents at times have mentioned that they know hey are getting close to the drug mules because they smell garlic. They say that the drug runners use garlic on their shoes to deter snakes. Does anyone know if there is truth to that. Also have heard the stories of snakes not wanting to cross over hemp rope but also have been told that's untrue.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
that is a new one to me. Lving here close to the border, and listening to the news. I have never here about the garlic trick.