Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
Here is a warning about bears that has to do with wearing bells.
Be sure to read all the way to the bottom........

THAT was VERY FUNNY!
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #44

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't you know, life is terminal. There are too many creatures in the world to worry about just snakes. They are not all dangerous or poison-ness. How about spiders, scorpions, rodents, coyotes, and bears? Do you stay out of all lakes and rivers because of gators, crocks, pirinah, and snakes? The ocean because of sharks, rays, and jelly fish? Avoid traveling to Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas because of tornadoes and beaches because of the threat of Tidal waves?
In life you just take reasonable precautions. Cross the street at corners, don't go out in storms, obey signs and use common sense. Be a Happy Camper.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #45

Wow - just checked the weather out west. It is in the upper 80's to mid 90's. That means the snakes are already active...yikes.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Wow - just checked the weather out west. It is in the upper 80's to mid 90's. That means the snakes are already active...yikes.

Yup, I think winter is over in Tucson, mid-90s the last couple of days.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #47

The west is probably the least hazardous area of the USA when it comes to poisonous snakes. The rattlesnakes avoid the hot sun and come out at dusk to hunt. In areas where they are present this is when you need to be careful but in most areas they are not going to be present in your campsite area.

Rattlesnakes are not aggressive and strike people in self-defense that got too close, often by stumblling into them by being careless on the trail. Most of the time people survive a bite and most likely it is because it takes several days for a rattlesnake to build up the venom again after it has taken some prey. Size is also a factor and the smaller snakes produce far less venom.

In my 50 years of hiking all around California and often in "rattlesnake country" I have only come across three rattlesnakes. None of these times was I at any risk of being bitten.

I worry far more about tick bites and getting one of the 22 diseases that they carry, valley fever from rodent droppings, scorpions, and skunks. Luckily none of these critters tend to be found in close proximity so I only need to worry about one or the other at any given place or time.

Statistically speaking you are 30 times more likely to die from eating an egg with salmonella then from being bitten by any reptile. The CDC looked at all animal related deaths of people from 1999 through 2007 and 60% were nonvenomous animals of which more than half was from attacks by farm animals, 28% of the deaths were the result of being stung by hornets, wasps, and bees, and 14% were the result of attacks by dogs.

Farm animals seem harmless enough but the injury and fatality rates for farmers and ranchers is much higher occupationally than it is for fire and police personnel.

Now Florida with its copperheads, cottonmouths, diamondback rattlesnakes, timber rattlesnakes, pigmy rattlers, and coral snakes, alligators, fire ants, scorpions, black widow and brown recluse spiders, stinging caterpillars, stingrays, catfish, stonefish, scorpionfish, lionfish, and man-of-war and other poisonous jellyfish, that is one scary place.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #48

Florida is not so bad if you stay in the top third of the state and get out early April. The nights still get cold enough to keep gators and snakes moving slow. Gators really slow down Dec, Jan, Feb and Mar. I stayed until early May last year. Saw more snakes and swimming gators the 1st 10 days in May than all winter.

I got out of there May 11th. My greatest fear then was heat stroke. Probably the same out west. It gets stinkin hot.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #49

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I'm not overly concerned about encountering snakes while hiking - I know enough to make plenty of noise. I am concerned about the dog though, as he's curious and slightly stupid. The bell is a good idea.

I'm more concerned about sitting around outside my RV. If I'm reading or napping, or whatever, I tend to be still and quiet. That's why I was asking about something that would just keep them away. Maybe a generator is good for more than power
Keep your dog on a leash. That way, hopefully, you will have a chance to pull him back. Also, when out there find a dog trainer that can "snake proof" a dog. There are training courses out there for just that.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #50

I have an unreasonable fear of snakes. I say that I moved to CO because there aren't any snakes here and I won't believe th truth so don't try.
SiberCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #51

I am not sure there is such a thing of having 'an unreasonable fear' of poisonous snakes. If bitten it will ruin your day.

That is why many people get the heebee jeebees when they see a snake. If is some sort of survival mechanism kicking in.

I can see alligators no problem. (Well so far none have come after me). But if I see a snake I have a different reaction...
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #52

I live in the desert among rattlers. Our worst rattler is the Mojave green. It attacks your nervous system. I learn to turn over my morning paper with a stick before picking it up. Also move it away from nearby shrubs. There is a dog trainer tha trains dogs to stay away from snakes.
I was a commercial beekeeper and have lifted up a hive while on my knees. A rattler was under the box and not rattling until I lifted the box. I found that I can run backwards on my kneecaps. lots of mice under sets of beehives, so also lots of rattlers.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just be as fast as a squirrel!

A timber rattler's fast...but a squirrel's faster!

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #54

In Nelson NV, they have another opinion of snakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4398.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	35826  
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven
In Nelson NV, they have another opinion of snakes.
We Texans have annual tradition in Sweetwater - we lasso rattlesnakes - bite their heads off while skinning them with our teeth. We filet, fry and eat em while wearing their relatives as boots, belts and hat bands. The only good rattlesnake is a fried rattlesnake.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #56
YC1

I have seen at least 100 rattlers in California. A life time of outdoor travel and I usually find them mostly docile or trying to get the heck out of the area. On a few occassions I have seen really angry ones whose tails buzz fiercly and almost sound like hot water on a skillet. From babies to some 6 feet long. A timber rattler can get as big around as my forearm. One of the mountain tops I have to frequent seems to be a breeding ground. I have often found two snakes at a time over the years. I have never seen a place as snakey as that mountain top. I have seen them swimming. They like cool dark places but often warm themselves on the asphalt in the morning.

We did get one in our tent about 35 years ago. It was a small one and I shook it out of the clothes. The wife was not happy.

Remember to step on logs and never over. Give rocks along walking paths a careful look if there is room for them to slide under.

Not all Rattlers can or will rattle. Some have not developed rattlers. If cold they often will lie silently and let you walk very close by.

I have never talked to anyone that has been bitten. My father had a few dogs bitten when we lived in the mountains but nothing fatal.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote