Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #85
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was in Sweetwater a few days ago. On the way to WA from the Poteet Strawberry Festival. Saw nary a snake. Diesel at WW with the card $3.65. We have our share of snakes in WA, along the Columbia and Snake rivers and in the scab rock country. They can give me a fright, when unexpectedly discovered. But if I know they are there they don't bother me at all.
Live and let Live.

04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #86
Originally Posted by LSitongia View Post
My instinct when I see a snake is to appreciate its role in the web of life, helping control rodents. Also, they are very beautiful and remind me of the age of reptiles millions of years ago.
My instinct when I see a snake is to appreciate its role in the web of life, helping put cheap food on my table. Also, they are very beautiful and remind me of the taste of sage hen. This is a great snake year in Arizona, so far our count is eight, and now we even have some of the meat in our freezer.

Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just saw our green and yellow striped snake between the garden and back door. Now up to about 2' long.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #88
Originally Posted by Happy Prospector View Post
My instinct when I see a snake is to appreciate its role in the web of life, ......
I appreciate it's role in keeping down the number of field mice and wood rats where I live. They don't get them all but they do like a nice rodent dinner.
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #89
Originally Posted by ginny47 View Post
I am terrified of snakes. I would have had a for sale sign up faster than a person can blink after the first sighting of a snake. You are a brave person. We live in North East Texas and the snakes here & I have an agreement. They stay out of my territory & I stay out of their's. So far it has worked. lol
Amen! So many people are talking about eating them. Negative, Ghostrider. My agreement is I don't bite them and they don't bite me.
SiberCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #90
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't like snakes and I don't like spiders. I try to stay as far away from both as possible.We have a lot of black widows here.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #91
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suppose if I was starving to death I would eat a snake. But only then.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #92
If you live in FL you are by far more likely to see snakes anywhere in your local are than you are in the Midwest. Fl is one of the most densely snake populated states there is. I live in a populated suburban area and it is nothing for me to see 100+ a year in my own yard ranging from moccasins to copperheads to the harmless black racers. Bottom line is this, there are no "special" precautions to take out there that you shouldn't already be taking. You are already living in snake central so anywhere you go it can only get better...right? Besides, all them rattlesnakes want to do is keep you away from them and they will even offer you a gracious warning, unlike our damn cottonmouths which will chase your ass for 50 yards trying to sink their fangs in you.
Network Engineer/Airbrush Artist in Tampa, FL
2006 Pilgrim Open Road 357RL & 1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
airbrushguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #93
Fleetwood Owners Club
Almost stepped on a black racer yesterday as I was organizing my rig's basement. Love them, ' cause they don't nest in my vehicles or feast on my wiring, but eat things that do. HATE rodents, so I have to love the slinkeys.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #94
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Is there anything that keeps them away - like sulfur - or ultrasonics - or is that a bunch of hooey?
I use a Browning 12 GA with #8 shot...Works wonders... I live in a neighborhood that has woods and a creek behind us, I also have a wall that separates my back yard from the woods. Well 16 years ago I made an agreement with the "slinky critters" (we have a lot of copperheads). They can stay on the wooded side of the wall and live a long life, however, if they come on my side of the wall I will introduce them to my friend "Mr. Browning." It took a couple of years before they started believing me but all is good now. I only saw evidence of one snake last year (saw a shed) but no snake....

Charles and Martha*2008 Monaco Signature
FMCA #F388752*GoodSam Life Member
2007 Ford Explorer - Toad
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote