Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

We Texans have annual tradition in Sweetwater - we lasso rattlesnakes - bite their heads off while skinning them with our teeth. We filet, fry and eat em while wearing their relatives as boots, belts and hat bands. The only good rattlesnake is a fried rattlesnake.
OMG, RVM2
I want video of you doin dat.
Have had fried rattler. Kinda like chikin. But better than ludafisk!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #58

In Georgia during my days in The Big Canoe Club, pigmy rattlers would sun themselves on the top of palmetto palms at about neck level.
Did NOT retrieve my golf ball from there.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #59

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
We Texans have annual tradition in Sweetwater - we lasso rattlesnakes - bite their heads off while skinning them with our teeth. We filet, fry and eat em while wearing their relatives as boots, belts and hat bands. The only good rattlesnake is a fried rattlesnake.
In the part of Texas were I come from we were lucky and only had two types of snakes.

Dead snakes, and soon-to-be-dead snakes.

The older I've gotten, the better that sounds.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

OMG, RVM2
I want video of you doin dat.
Have had fried rattler. Kinda like chikin. But better than ludafisk!
Not to derail thread, but plenty of Sweetwater Texas Rattlesnake Roundup stuff on the intertubes.

As for taste like chicken & better n ludafisk - what doesn't and what isn't.

Seriously though. If you look into the "roundup" you won't believe what they harvest year after year. Ya can't throw a snake without hitting two.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:41 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
What do you western boondockers do about snakes?

We have been in the Quartzsite, AZ area since early October and have caught 5 so far in our ATV outings. We like to cut the head off, skin and gut, cut into chunks and BBQ with some secret BBQ sauce.

We did cook one up in the slow cooker and that turned out great too!
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #62

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The vermin that breed because the snakes are dead will cause a lot more harm than any snake.

Take your pick.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42
The vermin that breed because the snakes are dead will cause a lot more harm than any snake.

Take your pick.
In Sweetwater the roundup brings in several thousand pounds a year. The rationale is the same for this harvest as it is for deer or other hunting. Managing the population. I don't pretend to know the stats on snake or deer populations but know that there are always plenty to go around. I suppose with rattlesnakes they could slot them like bass or practice catch and release. But I'll take my rattler fried, dried and set aside just the same.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #64

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is simple. The snakes are there because the vermin are in good supply. Kill the snakes and the vermin which already multiply ten times faster have a population explosion. The snakes return in larger numbers to eat the vermin. If a person is interested in killing a lot of snakes it is paradise. If the interest is in controlling population it is ineffective.

Deer are harvested when their predators are few and their natural food source is scarce.

I'm not doing an environmentalist exercise here just pointing out that if you hate rats keep your snakes. Snakes are less of a threat. Rats can destroy a home or an RV and carry a host of unwelcome sickness and host other little creatures that do the same.

Take your pick, but destroying these snakes is for fun not population control. Population will stabilize if you leave them alone to eat the vermin, less vermin less snakes. Just my opinion.
M
Some people hate snakes, I do not like rats and therefore if I make a choice I'll take the snakes. No snake has eaten or will ever eat the ignition wires out of my truck.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Even simpler - a place that harvests and eats rattlesnakes has no problem controlling vermin. Even our dogs control snakes and vermin and deposit them at the back door seeking our affection. When kids can't pick blackberries because snakes are hiding in them, you get a fresh perspective. Living with them is different than visiting them. YMMV
Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #66

Fishing and snakes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3850974199.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	35923
Old 03-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Early on in this thread I said it would be a good idea to bring a snake bite kit along if you head out in the country. Since I've been reading this thread I've learned different- thanks. Also, I just ran across this yesterday and it reminded me that this topic was still going, so I thought I'd post this short article:

RV Boondocking News: RVing in snake country
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #68

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In regarding to protecting your pets, there is a snake bite vaccine for canines. It's consists of two shots about a month a part. Discovered this when at Vet in Quartzsite AZ getting my dog her rabies shot. Not too expensive and worth the investment if you're going to be in snake country.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #69

Found another Diamondback under the trailer out here in the Quartzsite Desert, quickly dispatched Mr. Snake and he is now simmering in my slow cooker along with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of cream of celery soup and some carrots. Will add some celery latter and make up some dumplings.

I hope the evil vermin won't eat the ignition wires out of my truck.

Dinners at 5... anyone know what wine goes with rattlesnake?
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Prospector View Post
Found another Diamondback under the trailer out here in the Quartzsite Desert, quickly dispatched Mr. Snake and he is now simmering in my slow cooker along with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of cream of celery soup and some carrots. Will add some celery latter and make up some dumplings.

I hope the evil vermin won't eat the ignition wires out of my truck.

Dinners at 5... anyone know what wine goes with rattlesnake?
I hope you skinned him first- I think the flavor's better plus you never know when you're gonna need a snakeskin.

Per wine:

Mad Dog 20-20, vintage no older than forty-eight hours, served at room temperature, and still wrapped in the brown paper bag it came in.

Bon appetit!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote