Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #1

I need your ideas for good winter dry camping

While I know it sounds crazy to be talking about winter dry camping when its 107 f degrees outside here in the Utah desert, I like to plan ahead to ensure no problems during the snowbird season. So does anyone know of good dry camping just outside of Lake Havasu City limits???? 😦 I have my 25 foot Dodge Fleetwood Tioga class C and dog. Most places have a limit on how long you can dry camp in the Havasu area, and I'm not a fan of high prices at the over crowded RV parks. I stayed at crazy horse last winter. to pricey and no breathing room between neighbors. I want a place where I can just plant myself all winter and not have to move. A winter long camp site. The cost of weekly honeywagon service would be well worth it. I have my generator and usually keep the fresh water tank full. I am consider investing in solar panels so I can run the generator has little as possible. The Motorhome is completely self contained, so I don't really need to be hooked up to shore power anyway. So any peaceful isolated spot in the desert will be just fine by me. As long as it is away from the busy highway 95. So please feel free to share your ideas. Thanks

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1435616307.350324.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  78.3 KB

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
While I know it sounds crazy to be talking about winter dry camping when its 107 f degrees outside here in the Utah desert, I like to plan ahead to ensure no problems during the snowbird season. So does anyone know of good dry camping just outside of Lake Havasu City limits???? 😦 I have my 25 foot Dodge Fleetwood Tioga class C and dog. Most places have a limit on how long you can dry camp in the Havasu area, and I'm not a fan of high prices at the over crowded RV parks. I stayed at crazy horse last winter. to pricey and no breathing room between neighbors. I want a place where I can just plant myself all winter and not have to move. A winter long camp site. The cost of weekly honeywagon service would be well worth it. I have my generator and usually keep the fresh water tank full. I am consider investing in solar panels so I can run the generator has little as possible. The Motorhome is completely self contained, so I don't really need to be hooked up to shore power anyway. So any peaceful isolated spot in the desert will be just fine by me. As long as it is away from the busy highway 95. So please feel free to share your ideas. Thanks
cimplexsound

I don't know of any long term free areas near Lake Havasu City but there is a "14 day free BLM area" north of the airport on the eastside of highway 95 and another just south of Sara Park, (also to the east of highway 95).
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 06-30-2015, 12:21 AM   #3

I need your ideas for good winter dry camping

Thank you I have checked out both. Because I have a car as toad on the back end, I am looking for a dry camping with as smooth of surface as possible. I like it because of its strong V6 engine and extreme reliability. The south one you mentioned is actually better. Although it is practically touching highway 95 as it goes south to Parker. And people fly through at 75 mph so getting in and out of the site can be hazardous. The site north of town is beautiful because the campsite is located in a small canyon off of 95 north. But the roads are not well maintained with to many rocks in the road and you could drop a rod on a jeep going through there to many time let alone a car. I know. It was not fun inching my way along the bumpy road. Maybe I should keep looking. Maybe dry camping is better in Parker?? Would anyone know?? La Paz county park is nice by the river but it is over priced. I wasn't planning on going to Yuma, but maybe dry is camping is better down there???

Old 06-30-2015, 07:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Thank you I have checked out both. Because I have a car as toad on the back end, I am looking for a dry camping with as smooth of surface as possible. I like it because of its strong V6 engine and extreme reliability. The south one you mentioned is actually better. Although it is practically touching highway 95 as it goes south to Parker. And people fly through at 75 mph so getting in and out of the site can be hazardous. The site north of town is beautiful because the campsite is located in a small canyon off of 95 north. But the roads are not well maintained with to many rocks in the road and you could drop a rod on a jeep going through there to many time let alone a car. I know. It was not fun inching my way along the bumpy road. Maybe I should keep looking. Maybe dry camping is better in Parker?? Would anyone know?? La Paz county park is nice by the river but it is over priced. I wasn't planning on going to Yuma, but maybe dry is camping is better down there???
cimplexsound
There are many "smooth surface" BLM camping locations... (both "14 day free" and "long term fee").... near Yuma. AZ... around Qurartzsite, AZ... and in between.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
cimplexsound
There are many "smooth surface" BLM camping locations... (both "14 day free" and "long term fee").... near Yuma. AZ... around Qurartzsite, AZ... and in between.
Mel
'96 Safari
Hey Thanks

Old 07-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #6

We spend the whole winter at Imperial Dam LTVA, 20 miles north if Yuma. $180 for 7 months. Permit us also valid at Quartsite and several other BLM areas. Beautiful flat camping with 2 lakes if you are into boating or fishing. Check out my blog at montana4two.wordpress.com for more info

montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter