Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #15

Batteries and generator. Run the generator for an hour or two in the morning and again in the evening.

I always run the generator for at least an hour. Short cycling the generator can run the batteries down as it takes a while to put back the charge it took to start the generator.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #16

We have boondocked for as long as a week with no issues. Like others we use the generator for about 2 hours in the morning, while making coffee/breakfast ect. Then again for about 2 hours( at most) while taking our showers ect, in the evening. That way when we go to bed the batteries are fully charged. We run the TV off the inverter, and the fridge runs off propane. We have had no issues with the batteries running low. If we need the heat pumps in the morning or AC I will turn the generator on when doing so, but for the most part when boondocking we need neither.

We both shower at least once a day. Get wet, shut water off, soap up, turn water back on and rinse off. We only do that to conserve water/ and grey water holding tank capacity. But it is a nice hot full shower, no need to do the wet towel method. Even doing it this way we have never filled our holding tanks completely.

We have lanterns for sitting outside at night, BBQ's and a coleman stove for cooking outside. We don't cook bacon in the MH, and I think bacon in the morning is a camping requirement.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #17

This is a broad question. For me; it really depends on the temp/time of year.

When we are boondocking, it is usually over night in a WalMart parking lot or similar venue, while trying to get to a destination with hookups.
Occasionally, we will boondock off the grid... maybe a hunting trip. These are usually during a time of the year that would not require AC.

If it is cool enough to not need the AC, no problem to run most everything else on the batteries/roof top solar panel for a couple of days. Past a couple of days, may have to run the generator to recharge the batteries.

If it is warm... to warm to sleep, the generator will run the AC, at least while I am sleeping.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #18

We have converted all our lights in the MH to LED
The batteries are kept charged by about 1000 watts of solar on the roof and an active charge controller. I have gone almost two full weeks camped in the middle of the country in central BC without running the generator and had fully charged batteries by 1:00 pm every day. On that trip we didn't use the TV, The unit that keeps the Microwave, Toaster and coffee maker usable is only run when needed and then turned off. For that usage we have a 3500 watt inverter outfit hooked to the batteries though a relay unit, so easy on/off

I followed instructions I received from a gentleman in Montana on rewiring the panels, hooking them up and where to place everything for best effect and maximum power output.
Wandersabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #19

In my last trailer, it had 200 watt solar on top hooked up to two trojan 105 batteries, 40 gallon fresh water plus I carry a 2000 watt generator.

I have stayed two weeks boondocking. My Achilles heal is my black water tank. Being a guy I use the wood line during the day for my bathroom as much as possible. The black tank is mainly solids and the once a night wake up (getting older). The grey tank gets used with environmental safe soap so I water the surrounding bushes from my dishwash bucket, (I camp of grid not around anyone, and I have had this discussion before so please don't flame me). I can transport fresh water with a 30 gallon water bladder if my fresh tank runs dry. I try and shower outside if the weather is nice.

Depending on location and weather I run my generator sparingly. It's main use is for coffee in the morning, maybe run an hour to refresh batteries. Small inverter to run the tv, all led lights, fantastic fan to help cool, this keeps my energy usage
Low.

75% of my full timing in my travel trailer is boondocking.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed eleven days at Great Basin National Park. We have about 600ah of battery and 500 watts of solar. Ran TV, satellite, fantastic fan and occasional toaster and microwave. Had to refill water and dump tanks twice. We must be frugal on 12 volt power. No A/C and never ran the gen.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #21

I boondock in the tulies -----no solar just a 4kw gen to recharge dual batteries and run microwave.

Use propane to run fridge, water heater, furnace and cook with plus a Weber Smokey Joe BBQ

Typically gone for a week

So OP........you started this 'poll' but didn't provide 'How you do it' ?????
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Primary use the house battery bank powered by 2 solar panels on the roof. Once the house bank discharges to 12.2, I start the diesel generator to recharge the battery bank. After 1.5 to 2 hrs, the gauge is showing the house bank is at 13.5v.
my answer as well, I have the AGS set to 12.1 , might have to modify that...
and I dont' know what I recover to Volts wise.

Going to add solar VERY soon to lessen the need for the genny.
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are weekend warriors; ATVs/motorcycles during the winter, jetskis during the summer, typically 3-5 days each trip.

Summer, we go to FHU campgrounds, because we camp where it is at least 100-110 degrees. Run the A/C 24-7 while there, run the generator (Onan 4kW) for A/C on the way there and on the way home (for roof A/C) as needed. Water & sewer are non issues since we have hookups.

Winter is a different ballgame. We dry camp (boondock) with no hookups at all, no facilities. MH is fully converted to LED lighting, run the fridge on propane, 12v/propane furnace as needed, water pump, radio, etc on battery power (currently 2-12v, will be upgrading to 4-6v shortly). Run the generator occasionally for microwave, or to top off batteries if needed. Use the propane stove for coffee & cooking, navy showers to conserve water/holding tank capacity, we have a small inverter (300W) for the front TV, but seldom use it (we're camping, after all).

Future plans (in addition to the 6v batteries) is at least 100W of solar, just to help out, but generally we get by fine without it. This past thanksgiving was unusually hot at Glamis (low to mid 90s), and we did end up running the roof A/C on generator for most of the day, each day we were there.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #24

Large battery bank and 1040 watts solar. Provided we have sunshine only need to run genny if needing AC.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #25

dup
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #26

Boon docked at Yellowstone at Tower campground with our 25 foot rig and toad parked off to the side. You are not allowed to run your generator at any time there. There are no hookups whatsoever.

We made it 4 days, 3 nights in a row, renewing our stay each morning and monitoring our tanks and battery. We have a 100 watt solar panel on the roof and it was mid June so we had max sunshine. Limited lights were on for probably 30 minutes a day since it was light, early in the morning, and dusk at 10:00 PM. We often had to run our LP furnace early in the morning and the toad windows even frosted over one morning.

One day we went to the Roosevelt Lodge where you can pay for a shower. Our weaknesses were using an electric coffee maker and a toaster three mornings. On the day we left, the batteries had just dropped below 11 volts. I had already disabled the LP/CO alarm because it was sounding off due to low voltage.

We were actually away from the RV most of the day, driving the toad through the park and riding our bikes in the few places it is safe. We still had about 20% water and our grey/black tanks were fine. We use a plastic wash basin in the sink and dump the grey water in the same drain that the tent campers use.

We probably could have gone longer. Although you can't run a generator, nothing says you can't go for a drive and park at a pull over to charge up .

As a side note, potential campers would pull into that camping area at daybreak, get in line, and hope that someone would check out. It was a first come, first serve campsite. The rules allow existing campers to renew their stay for another night as long as it is done before 9:00 AM in the morning. The volunteer host had his hands full dealing with people wanting in. We just got lucky and got a real nice spot that our rig fit into. Most of the sites at that particular location were more suitable for tent campers. I think there were 5 RVs that I counted.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Solar if there is direct sunlight and wind won't damage my portable panels, 300 watts worth. Generator otherwise, two Honda EU2000s tied together if necessary for as much as 3600 watts to run the air conditioner.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #28

I run my fridge on LP. My Freezer (which is separate) runs either on AC or DC. I use lights and TV several hours per day. If needed I run my furnace in the morning to warm the coach. If I need air conditioning I run the 7500 watt Generator. When it comes to water be thrifty. Never flush with Fresh Water, it such a waste.
I have solar: 900 watts on the roof, and 672ah battery bank. We shower daily, flush the toilet after every use, just like we were in a park. I belong to a group that shares boondocking spots in the US & Canada. The spots are updated continually and available for download (only) 4-5 times per year. Days End is the name of the group which is part of the Escapees RV Club.

Boondocking is why I choose to drive an older rig. I don't need or want an Electric Fridge or two toilets with a Macerator Pump on 1 or both. (which I'm told takes about a gallon of water for each flush). I dump, fill, & do laundry at a full hook-up park, then I'm ready for up to 2 more weeks of boondocking.