Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2017, 01:17 AM   #1

I'd like to take a poll of sorts

I am curious to know from whoever would care to answer:
How do YOU boondock?
Are you powerless, using batteries only, generator only?
Do you simply have whatever you have power wise while you are rolling down the road and then shut it down and shut your eyes or hang out by lantern or or or??
Just curious.
Thanks!
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2017, 01:36 AM   #2

Primary use the house battery bank powered by 2 solar panels on the roof. Once the house bank discharges to 12.2, I start the diesel generator to recharge the battery bank. After 1.5 to 2 hrs, the gauge is showing the house bank is at 13.5v.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:24 AM   #3

I use a Renogy 200 watt Solar Suitcase. It helps me get through daylight hours quite well, even with a residential fridge.

I run the generator an hour or two after the sun is down, and a few minutes just before bed to ensure my four 6 volt batteries are fully charged for the night.

Run the gennie again for 30 to 60 minutes in the morning, then rely on the solar again.

I have only started boondocking recently, so this is limited experience.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:13 AM   #4

Experimented with power requirements last fall.
No power hookup for five days.
Used furnace for about 45 minutes every morning.
Turned on TV for about 30 minutes.
Used water for shower every morning.
Refrigerator was on propane.
Power sofa reclined and reversed every day.
Used RV mostly for sleeping so minimal lights were used.
RV not driven for the five days.

About a 95 watt solar panel and had sunny days for the whole five days.

Noticed the solar would not replenish power used every day and needed to run generator about an hour to bring batteries back up for the next day.

Now consider my solar setup is only good for keeping batteries charged when not in use. Does not seem to have enough to replace light use of power.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:05 AM   #5

I run the generator when Furnace, microwave, coffee maker is needed.. then turned off. never run generator all night.

all else is battery.

No showers.. wet wash cloths... heat in microwave for 15 or so seconds.. wash with soap... different warm/wet cloth to remove soap... then dry..

almost no water used.. so pump and power is minimum..

the less you use.. the longer you can go....
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mostly a weekend warrior when boondocking;

Use batteries/200 watts or solar/400 amp/hrs of AGM
TV typically on all day if inside. Didn't convert lights to LED. No conservation at all.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have boondocked up to 5 days. I have 900 Ah of batteries and no solar. I need about 4 - 5 hours of generator time / day to maintain. That's running a residential fridge, TV, satellite, and other routine equipment. I usually start the genny in the morning for a couple hours and use microwave and coffee maker during that time. Then again in the evening depending on quiet hours. Solar would be great except I often camp in hot climates where AC is mandatory 24/7. Solar would not help.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:28 AM   #8

With our travel trailer we have two 12 volt batteries and use a 100 watt solar suitcase and a generator, if needed to run the A/C and charge the batteries if the solar doesn’t get it done. Our TT came with all LED lights and we use the TV sparingly, running off a 1,100 watt inverter. We tend to toss dish water down the toilet and shower quickly.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:02 AM   #9

It just depends on the climate and location, I have 400 watts of solar panels on the roof so that helps minimize the need to run the generator if the weather is nice. In general my boondocking trips are limited to 3 or 4 nights at a given spot. Under ideal circumstances I may not even have to run the generator at all, I can even run the microwave oven in short bursts off the inverter

Water is usually more of an issue than electricity for me though with 80 gallon fresh tank, (40 gray / 40 black) usually not much of an issue, I do have a push button shower timer (https://smile.amazon.com/Shower-Plus.../dp/B00AX4N9I8) and limit myself to 3 minute shower, in fact I usually have the shower turned off before the 3 minute alarm sounds, and I also use the shower cut off while lathering up with soap.

As to the rest, it again depends on the place, sometimes the BBQ, camp chairs, etc. come out, sometimes they don't
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #10

I only boondock if the night time temps will be below 70f. I have 200w of portable solar which I use and will run the generator for 30 mins in the morning and evening if needs be. We only stay for 2-3 nights.

We spend most of our time outside so not using much power.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
I am curious to know from whoever would care to answer:

How do YOU boondock?

Are you powerless, using batteries only, generator only?

Do you simply have whatever you have power wise while you are rolling down the road and then shut it down and shut your eyes or hang out by lantern or or or??

Just curious.
Thanks!
Pretty simple - when we need it we use it.

Battery =- lights - Micro - Heater - Water pump - radio - TV - Computer -.....

Generator = charging batteries - Coffee - Hair Dryer - A/C - ...

Solar is just there - unless you are vigilant it just helps a little with the Batteries - (500 watts on the roof)

Water is our only real issue - as we do need it/use it. Two of us are good for 5 easy days - 3-4 normal days - or as long as a week if we are really watching our use. Then off to dump - recharge - refill - re start.

Unlike many we "Boondock" often, but we will use - Wal*Mart - Stadiums - Woods - Deserts - Driveways - no Hookup sites - I mean just about anywhere, as IMHO that's what these Beasts are designed to do. Summer is/requires a little more planning as we really are not into running the Generator all day for the A/C - but we have - just not a smart choice - will usually look to get to where it's just Cooler at night so as to be able to sleep - Think 8,000'/Rockies or 3,000' hill in the east. .

Hope this is what you were looking for, Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #12

Boondocking a couple of nights in a row, every once in a while, works out pretty good for most systems. But, this will not work well if the plan is to run an electric heater, microwave oven, and/or electric water heater for any amount of time. You'd have to put a ton of money into an inverter, battery bank, and charging system to make it reliable. I wouldn't want to have to depend on frequent genset usage to keep batteries charged.

With pleasant weather and conservative use of electricity, it is probably doable. Would certainly be a learning curve to see what works and what doesn't.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #13

We have all LED lights in the camper and 2 6v batteries. I also have a Champion 3400 watt generator. I run the generator in the morning for about 2 hours. During that time, we run the coffee maker, take showers, use hair dryer, microwave etc. Not necessarily all at the same time. The batteries also get charged during this time. I have a 175 watt inverter that we use to watch TV at night. We also run the Maxxair fan at night to keep air circulating. As long as the weather is mild and you don't need the furnace or AC, this works well for us. The HW heater and fridge run on propane.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
I only boondock if the night time temps will be below 70f. I have 200w of portable solar which I use and will run the generator for 30 mins in the morning and evening if needs be. We only stay for 2-3 nights.

We spend most of our time outside so not using much power.
I have a 400w portable inverter for tv and blowing up a guest air bed.