Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2014, 05:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Is your Coach made out of a high grade space craft stainless steel?

No, I maintain my unit. It's rinsed after each exposure to road salt.

Seaside salt exposure is almost exclusively in the form of dew settling at night, or mist and spray on windy, wavy days. Both of those are line-of-sight things, dew settles straight down, spray on the windward side.

However corrosion of any kind needs exposed steel for the rust to start. Undercoating, and maintaining it, is key.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The salt found every little chink in the paint. I washed it after two days on the beach and coming out of storage it had many rust spots all over it. I spent the next three years waxing and buffing out the rusty spots only to have them return. My wife loves the ocean and waves as well so we drive the less expensive Honda to the parking area so she can play in the sand. The Honda has been under coated and washed every time afterwards. Never camping on a beach close to salt water unless .... Well not even then. Whoever would buy my motorhome after that would have to deal with the rust so not going to do it.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 12-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
When it is open, while not free at $11.50 per night with the Senior Pass, many of the sites at the Ocracoke Campground in the National Park are a dune away from the ocean. I was in D3 last Fall:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASG_7631.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	82120  
Old 12-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermilye View Post
When it is open, while not free at $11.50 per night with the Senior Pass, many of the sites at the Ocracoke Campground in the National Park are a dune away from the ocean. I was in D3 last Fall:
And, man, it is windy there!
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
John H thanks for the camp ground recommendations but I am looking for free spots!!

Good luck finding "free spots" up here in the Northeast. Please post any findings.

Thanks
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having lived and worked on Merritt Island, Fla for many years, I found out that salt air will get to places you can't get to.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Here in St. Augustine, FL, you can drive on the beach but you can't stay overnight.
David
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaflash View Post
Here in St. Augustine, FL, you can drive on the beach but you can't stay overnight.
David

I assume you are free to get stuck on the beach as well! Lol! I have been on a couple beaches where the entertainment is watching everyone push a person that got into the wrong part of the sand. I would not want to do it because of the salt and rust.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 01-10-2015, 05:41 AM   #23

Salt-Away ... used it for years on my boats and scuba gear. Available at most marine stores.

http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Away-Prod...9F8QGEMTJG2555
Old 01-10-2015, 06:14 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The boats and SCUBA gear are designed for the salt water. My motorhome is not.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:22 AM   #25

As stated before my Motor home and toad are both 25 years old! It would be a blessing if either lasted long enough to have salt water issues.....

Quote bygeorge
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
The boats and SCUBA gear are designed for the salt water. My motorhome is not.
I can see how I may have caused some confusion so I'll rephrase ... I use it on my car and coach (which are not specifically designed for salt water use) whenever my car and coach have been subjected to a salty environment.

You have apparently not read the description of the product nor are you familiar with its use. Please read the section entitled "COASTAL SALT AIR APPLICATIONS".

Salt-Away Applications ...

It removes salt and leaves a non-corrosive film ... and it's a non-hazardous, biodegradable product.

I have no affiliation with the company.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
I assume you are free to get stuck on the beach as well! Lol! I have been on a couple beaches where the entertainment is watching everyone push a person that got into the wrong part of the sand. I would not want to do it because of the salt and rust.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD

I can't recall ever driving on a beach, St. Augustine included, where the driving lanes and parking areas were not very clearly marked with signs and / or barriers.

I can't see how driving up and down a paved highway a few hundred yards further back would be any different than driving on the beach is from a salt exposure point of view. Lots of people live right on the beach, I don't hear them complaining their cars rust faster than anyone else's does.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I can't recall ever driving on a beach, St. Augustine included, where the driving lanes and parking areas were not very clearly marked with signs and / or barriers.

I can't see how driving up and down a paved highway a few hundred yards further back would be any different than driving on the beach is from a salt exposure point of view. Lots of people live right on the beach, I don't hear them complaining their cars rust faster than anyone else's does.

DW and I were stupid enough to drive on a beach, I believe it was at Daytona Beach in Florida. As I get older my memory fades more each year. We also drove on the beach at Brownsville TX and there were no barriers or cones at all but there was a sign telling you the rules of driving on the beach and tracks you could easily follow. Between those excursions on the beach and a short 50 mile drive in Iowa in the wintertime my MH started showing an immense amount of rust within a few months. I did wash it every time I walked into the fires of salt. I do agree with you that there would be a certain amount salt on the highway two blocks from the beach just from its proximity to the salt water and the mist in the air from the salt water but I think if you have enough money to live on the beach I seriously doubt you keep a vehicle long enough for rust to show up as it takes a little while for rust to eat through the body. I live in Iowa where they pour salt on the roads to keep ice and snow from freezing allowing traction to the road. They don't use much salt in southern states which is why the collector cars purchased usually come from there or isn't stored close to a large body of water full of salt or the vehicle just isn't driven in the winter. I personally think that sand that gets completely emerged in salt water a couple times a day is going to have a much higher salt content than a highway two blocks away that is driven on and rained on all the time. Vehicles will blow debris to the side of the road and rain washes it away. Lastly, I have read many posts from people living inland of the gulf or the ocean some miles away that have issues with salt accumulating on their vehicle causing rust issues wanting to know the best solution to stop it. The best solutions I have seen are keep it inside building that is fairly airtight. That is enough logical proof for me to stay the hell off of the beaches. Everyone else can enter at their own risk. It just isn't worth the damage to me. That is my opinion and worth what you paid for it! Lol!

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD