Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In Over My Head with PROsine 2.0

I recently purchased a 2002 Phaeton 38OH and wanted to put an inverter in it for use at night when traveling (boondocking at night). I had read about people installing a 30 amp outlet near the shorepower cord which would have power from the inverter to supply the AC fuse panel and switching off unnecessary breakers. I thought I would try it myself. But instead of buying an straight inverter, I bought an inverter/charger and now realize that I can't 'cheat' the system as described above because I wouldn't be able to charge the batteries using the charging part on the inverter/charger. I bought a old (but unused) PROsine 2.0. Does anyone have any experience using this unit?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #2

A PROsine 2.0 is also a combination unit. You will have the same problems. Assuming your coach is working as is what are you trying to make happen? Seriously upgrading the AC via inverter also requires upgrading the battery system among other issues. The only upgrade that occurs to me is to replace the old TV with a new one. The new one uses much less power and would be as happy on a dedicated inverter. Ditto the refrigerator if you want to go that way.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
A PROsine 2.0 is also a combination unit. You will have the same problems. Assuming your coach is working as is what are you trying to make happen? Seriously upgrading the AC via inverter also requires upgrading the battery system among other issues. The only upgrade that occurs to me is to replace the old TV with a new one. The new one uses much less power and would be as happy on a dedicated inverter. Ditto the refrigerator if you want to go that way.
I concur
Old 04-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Yes, I know that the PROsine 2.0 is both an inverter and converter. That's the problem. Perhaps I should have purchased two separate units. I just want to be able to run the outlets, a few lights and maybe the microwave while traveling and stopping for the night. My father-in-law uses a breathing machine while sleeping so I didn't want to run the generator all night for that, a fan and a few lights. I'm not intending on running the air conditioning but need AC (alternating current) without the generator or shorepower.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchowe View Post
Yes, I know that the PROsine 2.0 is both an inverter and converter. That's the problem. Perhaps I should have purchased two separate units. I just want to be able to run the outlets, a few lights and maybe the microwave while traveling and stopping for the night. My father-in-law uses a breathing machine while sleeping so I didn't want to run the generator all night for that, a fan and a few lights. I'm not intending on running the air conditioning but need AC (alternating current) without the generator or shorepower.
I don't see the problem. Install the inverter. Hook charger output up to the batteries using appropriate gauge wire. remove old charger. Install a transfer switch either auto or manual to switch between shore power and the inverter to isolate it from shore power and hook it into the 115 system. Or wire the shore through the inverter 115 pass through if it supports it. Keep in mind that I am not an expert and it would undoubtedly be harder than it sounds. But in theory it doesn't sound hard.

PS, If you didn't have an inverter before you will want to upgrade the battery bank by adding one or more, probably more, batteries. Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchowe View Post
OK. Your major problem will be your power budget to do that. Your lights are already 12 VDC so the inverter is not an issue. Ditto built in fans or 12 VDC equivalents are available. You are better off using as much 12 VDC as possible as conversion to 120 VAC costs power due to conversion losses.

Forget the microwave as it is a huge draw when running. You are better off just starting the generator that needs to run anyway.

You have two options on the CPAP. Some are 12 VDC units with an adapter brick and some do need 120 VAC but are not huge current hogs so a small inverter will do the trick. The issue there will be enough battery to cover the power use overnight. How many batteries do you have for the house?

Depending on what else you want to run my general thought would be cell phone charging and similar small loads can go on the CPAP inverter. They are really low. Better yet get a car cord that needs 12 VDC. Higher loads like laptop computers are still low enough for either the CPAP inverter or a second one. They also do not kill your power budget. Forget about any high current loads like the microwave, hair dryer, coffee maker unless you plan on running a very large capacity battery bank. In general it is much cheaper and easier to cluster their use and use the genset.

To go on from here it takes knowledge of house battery capacity. You need to know that to plan the CPAP. Having said that two batteries are probably marginal, more sufficient unless you really suck power for something. That is a general observation of many similar threads.