Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Inverters

Inverters. I have a question. I have sleep apnea and require 120 AC at night to power my Cpap unit. I want to install an small inverter by the bed in our new RV. I need 400w, but would like 1000 so I can use inverter for other things as well. I'm looking for recomended products and sources. Your help would be appreciated, as I hear that there are some unfavourable products out there. Your help would be appreciated. By the way we are Canadian. THANKS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
Inverters. I have a question. I have sleep apnea and require 120 AC at night to power my Cpap unit. I want to install an small inverter by the bed in our new RV. I need 400w, but would like 1000 so I can use inverter for other things as well. I'm looking for recomended products and sources. Your help would be appreciated, as I hear that there are some unfavourable products out there. Your help would be appreciated. THANKS
I have a Xantrex prowatt SW600. It is a 600 W pure sine wave inverter. I am very happy with it and its performance. Since you need something to power a medical device I would not recommend getting a cheaper modified sine wave inverter. You can go up to 1000 watt unit, but keep in mind it will take more power to run it. Mine takes about 1/2 amp when operating with a load, the 1000 watt model will need closer to 1 full amp. If you have a large battery bank the larger inverter will not be and issue.

Quote:
By the way we are Canadian.
Don't worry, I wont hold that against you

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We had discussions on this in the past.

A search on cpap will turn up 33 hits.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some Camping worlds are closing out Sun Force True Sine Wave inverters. the 1000 watt for $95 and the 2500 watt for $205.

You can always turn it off when you aren't using it, so don't worry about battery drain when idling. At 400 watts it will use about 35 amps/hr when being used. That means over night it will drain 265 amp/hr from your battery bank. 4ea 6 volt GC2 batteries will handle it nicely.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
Inverters. I have a question. I have sleep apnea and require 120 AC at night to power my Cpap unit. I want to install an small inverter by the bed in our new RV. I need 400w, but would like 1000 so I can use inverter for other things as well. I'm looking for recomended products and sources. Your help would be appreciated, as I hear that there are some unfavourable products out there. Your help would be appreciated. By the way we are Canadian. THANKS
I don't know what type of Cpap you use. I use a Bi Pap Machine. My machine is a Respironcis M-Series Bi Pap Auto. I run mine off of 12vdc.
In my RV I have a Xantrex Pro-Sine 2.0 2000w. But I just run mine off of 12v.http://cpap.com You might look here for a 12vdc. Cord for your unit.
Good luck
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you use a heater or humidifier or both then you need 120vac and a LOT of battery capacity to run an inverter.. I recommend True Sine wave because the list of things that won't work properly on a True Sine Wave inverter which is big enough is kind of short (As in there is NOTHING that will work on shore power that won't work on a True Sine wave inverter which is big enough)

The list of things that MAY not work (NOTE MAY, not WILL) on a MSW inverter is much, much longer.

However if you do not use heat or humidity.. You can get CPAP machines that run on battery power directly. I recommend this because there is at least a 10% conversion loss,, at least, can be higher. When using an inverter. and again when the CPAP converts down to whatever it uses.

A 12 volt by design unit elminmates this loss.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
At 400 watts it will use about 35 amps/hr when being used. That means over night it will drain 265 amp/hr from your battery bank.
A 400 watt inverter does NOT use 400 watts. It has the capability of supplying 400 watts, but that is not the same thing at all. Again, you have to actually measure anything you want to run to know what it takes over time, but in my experience, you can run a CPAP on a small inverter with about 25 to 30 amp hours overnight. In my RV battery Charging Puzzle I have an example of how somebody we once ran into who was doing just this on one small car battery while he slept in a tent, so this ridiculous guess of 265 amp ours is way off. Also, you do not need a sine wave inverter. If it makes you feel better to use one, I recommend the Morningstar Sure Sine 300. Of course, if you can run it directly from DC with no inverter it will be more efficient and more reliable. Running any large inverter to power a small load like this is very wasteful. For instance, a Prosine 2000 will use almost as much idle current by itself with nothing plugged in as a CPAP machine does.
HandyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #8

Canadian Tire has their 1500 watt inverter on sale this week for only $99 (from $199). This is a great inverter with a 2 year warranty.

Motomaster Eliminator Inverter | Canadian Tire

Sorry, this link shows the 1000 watt inverter but its really the 1500 watt one on for $99. They have never advertised the 1500 watt for some reason but its on sale. They just got a newer style too that comes with a separate switch on a cable so you can power it from up to 6 feet away!

Good luck!

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several suggestions: I moderate in a medical support forum and the issue of CPAP machines and "emergency power" has come up many times.. If you do not use a heater or humidifier, then you can get machines that actually run on battery pwoer (12-15 volts) so no Inverter is needed.

If you do use a heater or humidifier those suck a LOT of battery power,, A standard pair of U-2200 (GC-2 size) batteries in series holds about 1 KWH of power.. Likewise a pair of Group 29's Consider this when calcing your battery needs, Be sure to factor in other loads.

Now, the inverter: 1,000 watts is enough for most things but not for the Microwave,

I'd go with 2,000 watts,, and... What's more.. I'd go with a TRUE SINE WAVE.. type inverter.. These are more expensive but.. Well, usually what I do is this.

I tell folks to go to the Xantrex Inverter support site for the X-Power line.. The X-power is a MSW inverter (I know, I have one, mine happens to be 1,000 watts and if after going there you decide that's waht you want,, I'm in Upstate SC and willing to part with it, But I would rather you not go that route)

On the support paces there is a techinical document "Things that might not work properly on MSW inverters" or somethign like that.

Now navigate to the PROSINE support pages.. The Prosine line is True Sine Wave (I have one of those too, a 2.0) and.. No such document there.

Why,, Well, the list of things that won't work on my Prosine 2.0 is identical to the list of things that need more than 2,000 watts to work.. IF a 2KW inverter will run it.. Then it works just like it was on shore power. In fact, sometimes better cause shore power is not all that good in some palces.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #10

Stay away from Xantrax junk. Go with Marathon or Morningstar.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If you do use a heater or humidifier those suck a LOT of battery power,
I know how this is going to sound, but the truth needs to be told AGAIN.
The above statement is NOT true. 25 to 30 amp hours is not a LOT. These numbers are based on real measurements, not guesses. I recently talked to a new RV couple who were told by a solar dealer that they could run a Prosine 2000 all night to power a heater for their little pets. Sure you can, if you want to buy another $500 solar panel from the guy, so just what is his agenda? A Prosine 2000 is not the correct tool for running a small load all night long.

On the other hand, an Oxygen concentrator does suck a LOT of battery power (nearly three times as much as a CPAP). Yet, I have a friend who successfully uses one of those with her 600 watt solar system and is able to run the TV, coffee maker and two lap tops much of the day as well as the usual needs in a 40ft motor home. She was told that would be impossible and that she would have to run a generator all night. HA!! Repeating things you have heard and that you cannot verify is not the way to solve problems. You must think for yourself.

I sure wish that people would limit their responses to things that they actually know about. You don't see me commenting on generator questions or RV park living. Look the person in the eye and ask them how long they have been living off grid before listening to their opinions on life without a power line. That solar dealer I was told about does not live off grid. Almost none of them do.
HandyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
25 to 30 amp hours is a lot when compared to what the CPAP itself uses. Which is very little compared to the heater. Just for fun I looked up a heater DeVilbiss 9200, it needs 0.95 amp at 120 volt, that's about 9.5 amp at 12 volt, figure a 50 percent duty cycle (may be more may be less) that's 38 amp hours for an 8 hour night. So your numbers are close.. A single G-24 battery has only about 73 amp hours total, you can safely use half that.. 1 amp hour LESS than you would need for just the humidifier.

Now, if you have a pair of GC-2's. That is a different story. I looked up the matching Machine for the humidifier I looked at, It's maximum power consumption is sixty five watts. A bit more than half what the humidiifier needs.

So again, I stand by my statement that the humidifier takes a lot of power... Twice that of the machine it seems.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #13

Xantax

I have two of the Xantrax inverters and they have worked very well. Use one in the motorhome and the other in our semi truck. Both get a real workout and no problems at all. Just returned from the Lousiville Truck Show, and lots of equipment suppliers were using Xantrax with their equipment. I think they are OK....