Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
We took a washboard road for about eight miles once. It was a very slow drive and I thought the overhead with the original glass tube TV was coming down. We have air suspension and good shocks but it was something I never want to do again. When we got parked it rained and there was a leak in the front cap seam that was never there before. I replaced the old TV with a LCD that is considerably lighter and the overhead stays stable now but I have never tested it again on that awful road. Once bitten I'm outa there.

Dick

BTW: Your wife in your AVATAR is really a looker
Changing the TV was a great idea. Totally understand the "bitten" thing - Quartzsite, AZ came with incredible dog paw "Surgery" thanks to the cholla plant. learned our lesson there.

BTW: I AM the wife in that picture! And thank you very much My hubs in "Plasma800"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Well said.

Being a very subjective topic, there are no right/wrong answers (in spite of what some will say). The trick seems to be recognizing the limitations of your coach. I once saw a coach buried in mud up to the axles - no idea why the driver thought he could make it across the mud field with a 16,000 lb rig but he did and likely paid the price (to the tow trucks). I drive very slow on the rough stuff and occasionally use the toad to scout a road before taking the MH down it - part of the adventure.
WOW! Poor guy...yeah I'd say we're very cautious - as in, i'm not going to drive down a road i will get stuck in for sure. Driving very slow seems to be the answer...and our little 4WD subaru will do the trick for scouting for sure - love that idea!! Thanks for your input!! It IS all about the adventure - and we're loving it so far! Enjoy your adventures!

Old 02-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Funny how boondocking can be so different depending on where you are/live.

Down there in the wide-open southwest, I s'pose a 40 foot motorhome can go just about anywhere...but up here in mountains/forest country your choices would be a lot more limited.

In either case, since pretty slow speeds are required to negotiate rough roads, I wouldn't think any rig would suffer much internal damage just from driving along them. I'm a dedicated boondocker, and since I DO live/camp in the woods, most of the "damage" I've suffered as a result of bad roads is the Sierra Pinstriping on the outside of the tug/tow. This due to scraping bushes/branches on the way by...
Old 02-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Palehorse89,

Do you have any more info re: that fancy heavy duty off roading beast of an RV?

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #33

Click image for larger version

Name:	1660526_410822999055229_279226237_n.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	56581
Old 02-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
That's awesome! Well we pulled out of that spot today for Phoenix. Getting out seemed much easier than getting in. The difference was the car was attached on the way in, but not on the way out. I noticed the ride out was much smoother.

It was a BEAUTIFUL PLACE! Short grass, nothing to stick my dogs, and wide open. We got some target practice in... kept a campfire going 24/7... let the dogs run their hearts out. Quiet at night, every star in the sky, dark once you went to bed and turned out the lights.

It was well worth the effort as you can see from the photos I attached earlier.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #35

As it is now our dash board is about to fall out just traveling on the normal interstates and roads (no dirt roads even) If we did what you want to do we would be shedding parts all over the place..
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
GOOD GAWD YA'LL
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We've been up and down all sorts of rough dirt roads with our coaches. Where did our TV fall down, you may ask? Not in the boonies but on the Staten Island Expressway with tons of potholes so deep you could see the rebar that is supposed to be under 4 inches of concrete!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
We've been up and down all sorts of rough dirt roads with our coaches. Where did our TV fall down, you may ask? Not in the boonies but on the Staten Island Expressway with tons of potholes so deep you could see the rebar that is supposed to be under 4 inches of concrete!
Exactly! I just went through a section of i10 that felt like an earthquake. Everything on the table (dumb of me to leave stuff there) was on the floor.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 02-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #39

While I am rebuilding a motorhome I free camp all the time. Even pulling a TT the roads can get rough. I understand your worries and understand the jostle. However I also do a fair amount of off-roading while on my weekend getaways. I have a tire pump (a good one, clips on the battery, does high pressure, etc. Don't go cheap here) and I lower the pressure in my tires. Since you are going slower anyway that shouldn't be an issue. It also helps by giving more cushion and in soft sand it will give you a wider foot print (to keep from sinking). On my Range Rover I will go as low as 12 p.s.i. on the trails. Now that would be to low for the coach but you get the idea. On my TT I have lowered the pressure to 25 p.s.i. and it made a world of difference from 40 p.s.i.

After a time out I do go over my TT and check it, but it's also very basic. After the spots I have seen Class A rigs here in CO you will be just fine. Find a latch down system that works for you. I use D-rings and either bungee/ratchet straps to hold items in place. If it can't shift/slide into pipes and other items you should be fine.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #40

2010 was a wet year in Alaska. I crossed the Denali hwy which is 100 miles of dirt and chuck holes. Spent 3days on the road (2 days of travel) Just went slow at the bad spots and 20 mph in the good spots. Beautiful scenery. A must for an AK trip. The night after we crossed the top of the world hwy. (Chicken AK) it was washed out for 2 months. My rig has logged 3,000 miles on dirt less traveled roads. Still air tight with no tire or axle problems.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #41

You totally rocked the boondocking at Cieneguita Primitive Camp! Glad we met and here's to my first post on irv2!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminarium View Post
You totally rocked the boondocking at Cieneguita Primitive Camp! Glad we met and here's to my first post on irv2!
Oh congrats!! you made it!

'14 Ram 3500 Aisin

Tags
boondocking