Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:53 PM   #43

We take our 43' MH and trailer with rock crawler back in about three miles in two different areas near Phoenix. The first time at Table Mesa four years ago (40' coach then) it took me 45 minutes to go the last 1.5 miles. That was what would qualify as Very Slow. Now, the BLM has improved the road, so it's just a few minutes. Thats where you have to go for the challenging rock crawling. It's worth the trip.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #44

We have a 2001 Winnebago Journey Dl. It has air suspension and Koni shocks. I have taken it up to 3 miles over washboard. I go slow and I don't think it is going to do any more damage than some of the severely potholed interstates taken at 60 MPH as was mentioned by previous posters. I don't like camping in "campgrounds" that are like parking lots. But if I had a brand new motorhome that I just paid a lot of money for, I might be reluctant to take it on the dirt roads.
John

Old 03-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #45

you can pop a windshield out of a RV by going to fast that is the only wall on the front cap and no matter how its installed can pop one out i have a 2 piece glued in type that keep popping out from stress on the passenger side
Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I drove a Duce & 1/2 back in the seventies in Germany. Rode like you were on a washboard on a good road. That thing would go almost anywhere. Ended up driving a 5 ton Tactical hauling 5,000 gals jet fuel going down the Autobahn. I hope they have that camper securely fastened ,
tb
I had a Duce. It was stock and man that thing would back up steep banks better than forwards.
Had the canvas trailer as well. Kicking my self for letting go.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:07 AM   #47

like posted above if you've spent big money on one best to stay on the pavement. now if you are a little more practical on your spending and don't mind abusing your coach a little some shaking here and there won't kill it, but sure won't lengthen its lifespan
Old 03-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are campers so for us the campsites off dirt roads are usually the best. They usually have the best canoing, fishing, and hiking and are furthest away from others. Not afraid to take our 27' down dirt roads that look like they are maintained to some degree. We just take our time if it gets a little rough. Don't do RV parks unless we are just passing through for the night.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
sometimes I wish i had a 27' er in addition to my 40' er. It might be nice sometimes to travel light
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
My wife and i are new to the full time thing,but we have spent a great deal of time understanding the coach,what it can handle and not.We plan on spending our fare share of time boon docking (one place i spent a lot of time in the 60's is Big Bend National park) Going back soon in our 40' instead of the 1965 V W camper of the 60's.As someone said earlier we plan on a good 4X4 to recon the roads first be for going down them.That is part of the adventure of boon docking.BEING PREPARED i do know of roads if reckoned first i would take out 40' Monaco on very slowly a short distance for base camp.Then take it from there,there is adventure everywhere.I do travel with radios,full field medical pack,extra water,food,gps,hiking gear,ammo,etc. I love the out doors and spent a great deal of my life in it.
It is called the wild,for a reason.Respect it and might respect you.
Hope for best ,but plan for the worst.
Good luck on your adventure,maybe we will see each other out there.We will be posting our trips on Facebook so our friends that think we are nuts will see if we are.
Tim(aka-tagcat)
Old 04-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
My wife and i are new to the full time thing,but we have spent a great deal of time understanding the coach,what it can handle and not.We plan on spending our fare share of time boon docking (one place i spent a lot of time in the 60's is Big Bend National park) Going back soon in our 40' instead of the 1965 V W camper of the 60's.As someone said earlier we plan on a good 4X4 to recon the roads first be for going down them.That is part of the adventure of boon docking.BEING PREPARED i do know of roads if reckoned first i would take out 40' Monaco on very slowly a short distance for base camp.Then take it from there,there is adventure everywhere.I do travel with radios,full field medical pack,extra water,food,gps,hiking gear,ammo,etc. I love the out doors and spent a great deal of my life in it.
It is called the wild,for a reason.Respect it and might respect you.
Hope for best ,but plan for the worst.
Good luck on your adventure,maybe we will see each other out there.We will be posting our trips on Facebook so our friends that think we are nuts will see if we are.
Tim(aka-tagcat)
Good for you guys!!! I completely agree with you. We are starting to feel more and more comfortable with our coach and feel that if we treat her well (taking it slow, etc) that there's not much she can't handle. Like you, we scout in the Subaru first, then bring the coach in s l o w l y. The first time we did this, it was a bit unnerving - now, we're confident and very careful (not to mention prepared!)
It is all about the adventure, and we are people who really enjoy that sort of thing...not to mention quiet, dark nights, gorgeous scenery, campfires, cooking our own food and exploration!! So, yes hopefully we will see you out there!! And our friends think we're crazy too...we think living in suburbs paying property taxes and HOA dues is crazy!! haha
Old 04-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #52

Big Bend has two good maintained CGs. One has hookups I believe. There are a number of really great dispersed spots such as Soldier's Spring etc where you can stay away from everything. You just have to check in at HQ at Panther Junction. Have to go to Panther Junction to get water anyway - and then down to the major CGs if you need to dump.
Reed and Elaine
Old 05-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #53

For what it's worth, well first of all I bought down knowing what I was going to be doing with mine. I mostly race moto out of mine, and have excellent adventures out of it. That is to say I get into some pretty off the grid places at times. At the race tracks I am never the only class A thgere, mine seems to be holding up as well as some of my buddies Toybox haulers. Slow and easy does it. Probably the worst trip ever in mine was the washboard road leading do 18 mile road/book ends trails (mtn bike) in Fruita Co. Ouch!
And yeah, for sure I have issues, both moptor home and others........but man do I have fun!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:04 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
sometimes I wish i had a 27' er in addition to my 40' er. It might be nice sometimes to travel light
I meet a couple that did just that they put 10x the miles on the 27' then they did the 43' high end coach. They said it "was a lot more fun. I have seen pics on forums of truck campers in some beautiful locations and am envious. I seem to get in trouble if I'm not careful where I get gas with my 43+ pulling a jeep.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunning View Post
I meet a couple that did just that they put 10x the miles on the 27' then they did the 43' high end coach. They said it "was a lot more fun. I have seen pics on forums of truck campers in some beautiful locations and am envious. I seem to get in trouble if I'm not careful where I get gas with my 43+ pulling a jeep.
I heard that! I'm a truck stop only kind of guy.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is an RV company in California (or rather was, do not know if they survived) that made a 4wd RV with 44" Military type tires. I think the army bought like half a dozen of them and they made like one or two with a Civilian paint job.. That was designed for that kind of thing.

My Class A... I would like to avoid that kind of road. I have enough problems with speed bumps at 5MPH.

Tags
boondocking