Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
A question, why would you buy and spend that much money and a nice Coach and take it "off roading" like you are asking about and do that to it?
I do not even do dirt roads...............
Maybe something like this would suit you better.......
LOL!!!

This is so perfect!!!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #16

Ok so I read all these posts about boondocking in quartzsite and all other remote places...the two times we've tried it by following very specific directions it just feels bumpy and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to worry about maintenance-wise. You true boondockers know what I'm talking about.
Not boulders just dirt bumpy roads...it's the only way we've found to get really remote, which is why we bought the motor home in the first place-to enjoy something besides our HOA and a $30 a night "park" with nothing for out puppies to do.
mrsharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #17

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsharper View Post
Ok so I read all these posts about boondocking in quartzsite and all other remote places...the two times we've tried it by following very specific directions it just feels bumpy and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to worry about maintenance-wise. You true boondockers know what I'm talking about. Not boulders just dirt bumpy roads...it's the only way we've found to get really remote, which is why we bought the motor home in the first place-to enjoy something besides our HOA and a $30 a night "park" with nothing for out puppies to do.
We go to some National Parks that are off the beaten path. We have to go off the paved roads onto some long dirt or gravel roads to get there. Some are fairly primitive, and what I call "boon-docking", but I am not sure I'd consider them truly remote in the since of doing "off-roading". Boon-docking to me is anywhere where you don't have shore power, water hookups, etc. Regardless, some of the roads are typical gravel or dirt roads that are prone to larger pot holes and/or wash board effect, etc.

I simply go slow and don't try to drive like when on better roads. The main thing from a maintenance standpoint is that you may want to perform a more thorough check out of your coach before and after. Perform regular maintenance more often, like how greater engine stress may result in needing to change oil sooner, keep the chassis and/or bearings greased, change the air filter sooner, etc. Most owner manuals for the chassis will have several maintenance recommendations, based upon driving conditions.

Otherwise, the MH itself can experience more dramatic issues to look out for, like loosened pluming fixtures, broken welding of frame structures, etc., etc. If you truly are doing off road, primitive, and way off the road driving, then you need to be able to handle almost any condition yourself. Therefore, an intimate knowledge off all the MH systems is necessary, a full range of tools and extra critical parts should be stored (for example, spare tires, wafer hoses, serpentine belt, spare batteries, fuel lines, breaks and related parts, spark plugs and wires, etc., etc).

Your toad should be an off road vehicle that you can depend on to get you to help when necessary.

Just my 2 cents.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Loose screws on airconditioner Shroud.....and light bulbs that get loose or jostled so they don't make good contact.... and eventually, seams that let in water from above or on the sides....
Old 02-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
We took a washboard road for about eight miles once. It was a very slow drive and I thought the overhead with the original glass tube TV was coming down. We have air suspension and good shocks but it was something I never want to do again. When we got parked it rained and there was a leak in the front cap seam that was never there before. I replaced the old TV with a LCD that is considerably lighter and the overhead stays stable now but I have never tested it again on that awful road. Once bitten I'm outa there.

Dick

BTW: Your wife in your AVATAR is really a looker
Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I simply go slow and don't try to drive like when on better roads. The main thing from a maintenance standpoint is that you may want to perform a more thorough check out of your coach before and after. Perform regular maintenance more often, like how greater engine stress may result in needing to change oil sooner, keep the chassis and/or bearings greased, change the air filter sooner, etc. Most owner manuals for the chassis will have several maintenance recommendations, based upon driving conditions.

Otherwise, the MH itself can experience more dramatic issues to look out for, like loosened pluming fixtures, broken welding of frame structures, etc., etc. If you truly are doing off road, primitive, and way off the road driving, then you need to be able to handle almost any condition yourself. Therefore, an intimate knowledge off all the MH systems is necessary, a full range of tools and extra critical parts should be stored (for example, spare tires, wafer hoses, serpentine belt, spare batteries, fuel lines, breaks and related parts, spark plugs and wires, etc., etc).

Your toad should be an off road vehicle that you can depend on to get you to help when necessary.
Well said.

Being a very subjective topic, there are no right/wrong answers (in spite of what some will say). The trick seems to be recognizing the limitations of your coach. I once saw a coach buried in mud up to the axles - no idea why the driver thought he could make it across the mud field with a 16,000 lb rig but he did and likely paid the price (to the tow trucks). I drive very slow on the rough stuff and occasionally use the toad to scout a road before taking the MH down it - part of the adventure.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Here you go ...... Try this RV for off road !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1957910738.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	56503  
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
you need to look up Plasma800 from the same town and could be your twin and your wifes look alike
Old 02-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pds47 View Post
you need to look up Plasma800 from the same town and could be your twin and your wifes look alike
haha hmmm
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That was my main concern, what in the bus are we jostling to death on the way in.

all in all it really wasn't too bad, just go very slow and careful, some spots where more washboardy than others. I would agree that if you already have high blood pressure issues, don't try this.

But in ALL seriousness, the bumpy ride in was in no way any worse than say... torn up i40 past flagstaff. So if you have experienced terrible road conditions, then this would be no different or worse.

And check out the pay off in these attachments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1347.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	56508   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	56509  

Old 02-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
So..are you Mr. Sharper or Mrs. Harper?
GREAT obversation.. SHE is Mrs. Harper And she is still in bed right now
Old 02-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Here you go ...... Try this RV for off road !
LOVE THIS! Looks russian on bottom, fleetwood on top

I'd drive it in a heartbeat
Old 02-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
P#9

I drove a Duce & 1/2 back in the seventies in Germany. Rode like you were on a washboard on a good road. That thing would go almost anywhere. Ended up driving a 5 ton Tactical hauling 5,000 gals jet fuel going down the Autobahn. I hope they have that camper securely fastened ,
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #28

Thank you so much - these are great tips. We've got most crucial supplies that we would need, but spare belts/tires is a great idea! I really appreciate your thorough, knowledgeable opinion!
mrsharper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking