Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you belive that...you don't understand boondocking. When we lived in an apartment, we spent $1000/mo. on rent, $750/mo. on heating oil (in the winter), $125/mo. on electricity, $300/mo. on electricity when it was hot (to use the AC), $100/mo. on cable and Internet access, and around $150/mo. on snow removal and lawn care.

With boondocking, you might spend $350/mo. on fuel for the generator (or less if you have a good solar system) and maybe $20/mo. for waste disposal (dump stations). Maintenance is a wash because there are maintenance expenses in every living situation.

My point is that boondocking now represents one of the few remaining lifestyle options that is both enjoyable and economical. That's not exactly a minor point these days as more and more people slip into poverty as a result of high energy costs and inflated food prices.

Jack
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you belive that...you don't understand boondocking. When we lived in an apartment, we spent $1000/mo. on rent, $750/mo. on heating oil (in the winter), $125/mo. on electricity, $300/mo. on electricity when it was hot (to use the AC), $100/mo. on cable and Internet access, and around $150/mo. on snow removal and lawn care.

With boondocking, you might spend $350/mo. on fuel for the generator (or less if you have a good solar system) and maybe $20/mo. for waste disposal (dump stations). Maintenance is a wash because there are maintenance expenses in every living situation.

My point is that boondocking now represents one of the few remaining lifestyle options that is both enjoyable and economical. That's not exactly a minor point these days as more and more people slip into poverty as a result of high energy costs and inflated food prices.

Jack
Old 06-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
From what I've been seeing, Big Brother is doing his best to shut off boondocking. More and more lands are becoming off limits. I think you forget to ad the price of your abode.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:35 AM   #4

It could work if your rig is paid for or a quality used one. A new diesel pusher could cost you twice what your paying for rent.

One could also try work camping or work boondocking on a small farm where you could do some chores for a place to park and may even have access to water, sewer and electric.

I met too many layed off former executives last year who lost everything but the RV and were workcamping as their last resort. Some said that they should have done it years ago and don't ever want to go back to the grind.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:57 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
From my observations, there seems to be two key elements that distinguish boondocking as an alternative lifestyle. The first is that most don't have the financial and operational burden of a house and property. Obviously, if someone is making sizable payments on a $300,000 DP, this may not be much of a distinction. However, the majority of full-timers and boondockers that we've met seem to have "practical" vehicles with reasonable payment provisions.

The second distinction is that most full-time boondockers make money in unconventional ways. Work camping is not terribly common (for this crowd) since it tends to pay so little and requires strong social skills. However, we've seen an amazing array of careers including seasonal tradesmen, contract nurses, web jockeys, drug dealers, construction workers, and park rangers to name a few. The common element appears to be their ability to improvise in order to make a living. That being said, I've never met one that wanted to go back to the race. Can't say I blame them. We have the same disease.

Jack
Old 12-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #6

I've been a full timer for over 4 years now and I love the boondocking lifestyle. I could not afford to do this if I had to make payments on my coach and couldn't do the maintenance & repairs myself. I also couldn't do it without the internet. This is a great time to be alive. I've been self employed for 30 years and that helps a lot too. It isn't for everyone, obviously. It is a challenge but if you like having a long leash and lots of freedom go for it.