Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005-637.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	54284

Imagine. The possibilities are endless

jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by jrgreenacres View Post
Sweeet....if you have the $$ there are lots more possibilities here:

12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #17
Wheelbase and ground clearance are the most important things when boondocking. Wide tires with traction design tread. Some use super singles on the rear for better floatation. Air assist suspension systems can raise your belly enough to avoid damage to the undercarriage. Traction mats help a lot. These are all low cost ways to make an average rv to go off road
Old 01-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
32' is Fine!

Hi....New here to FT'ing.... We are 32' Class A gasser. We get into 95% of S.Parks and find good getting around most areas. Like many have said, some limits on 'Off Road' , BUT.....Bigger Tanks a BIGG Pluss+++! Also, if ypu are going close to 'Full Time", then CCC becomes Major Issue! We were SOLD on buying 30'er, and told Advisor (was NOT a salesman: Steve Ratcliff, Lazydays Tampa, FL. the BEST!) our plans and he pointed out shorter chassis on 30' was @ 880lbs. CCC. 32'er on longer chassis was 2150lbs. CCC!! Big PLUS! Weight adds up Real Fast when going FT!
Heidi & Geno, St. Pete, FL
'04 Fltwood Southwind 32v, V10, 94 Honda Scooter
"Sammi-Jo" the dog & "kity-kitty's" 3
geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:59 AM   #19
Add two 17k winches one on the front and one on the rear. Now you'll have all the confidence to go where you want to go.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
MB Sprinter is a good Idea

Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
You may want to take a look at the Mercedes Sprinter chassis-based units. Great for what you are considering. I prefer the Winnebago versions, now on our second one.

Good Mercedes diesel performance and handling, good Winnebago quality. We typically bring along our toad.
We use a Sprinter Chasis-getting 16+mpg average It has a diesel Gen, & an Inverter. We have not needed Solar Chargers yet!

Ours is a 2 single/king bed(with an optional middle cushion) 25 feet-with a couple of Recliners in one slide- We can turn it around on a double lane highway & I have parallel parked it in an old downtown area. Have not needed Jacks (I carry a few 2x8 20 inch boards to place under the appropriate tires for leveling

No need for a toad here, perfect fit for us!
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #21
under 30'

I'm just looking right now like the original poster ...

Just seems every 1-2 ft is adding "creep" into the original intention, which is to go as small as practical for the individual.

Google "forest service roads 101" and dlownload the pdf. I'm thinking maintenance level 3 roads. note, WHERE did the photo come from, no potholes???

I'm single and ultra-fit cyclist, so perhaps can use a bike instead of a toad even for an occasional 50+ mile grocery jaunt. MB sprinter chassis is interesting, but right now favorite choice is:

Winnebago Vista 27N at 28'3" length. Incredible storage, 64 gal fresh water, big/viewable TV! Inverter, LED lighting, double pane windows, black flush, exterior tank sensors, exterior shower ... just add solar and go. Even an extra fitting for the propane to power exterior camp equipment ... which might be useful to use for propane catalytic heater.

Newmar 3103 is nice but they went over 30' just to add a king bed ...why???

Fleetwood Storm 28 is okay, a little thinner feeling inside, don't have some of the boondock "must haves" that come with Vista 27N (LED lights and inverter) and so would have to add yourself.

There is also the Forest River FR3 at under27' ... that king bed in the back is I believe a fold out sofa.

Perhaps I'll pay the $1500 or so and rent just once to test my assumptions (or just go for it and adapt!)

good luck!
Full-time in <2 years and counting ...
Camp_Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #22
Renting once or twice is a great idea. Problem we had was finding rental units that were desirable, and the mileage limits. Eventually rented in Michigan and spent a week on Lake Superior. On the shore actually. Learned that I really hate generator noise. Good to know.
ArloShmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by jrgreenacres View Post
Attachment 54284

That's the Kind.
Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been
2002 Fourwinds 5000 26Q 496 ci. Chevy towing 2004 Jeep Wrangler,2016 Starcraft AR One 18', 2016 F-150
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #24
On the theme of more off road capable rigs, though I would consider this more of a fun to have secondary rig - Big Foot Class C's with 4x4 can robust capabilities. For sure no bolder climbing, but also for sure much better chance of getting down (and back) a less beaten path.

Big Foot did some stock built 4x4 on I think the E450 chassis. Some with diesel, some with V10's. I looked over a 24' unit, that had pretty good ground clearance as well as the angle of departure was really not all that bad - for a Class C.

And two or three shops will add 4X4 to Class C's. I've also seen a few Fleetwood Class C's set up this way.

Big Foot, gets you all weather capability, and bigger then the Tiger so you would have some reasonable room for two.

But to the OP, back to the question on size. I think a good balance in trade off's would be a Class A in the 32-36' range. Tanks are usually still adequate in size, and if you choose one with a good ratio of wheelbase to total coach length (less overhang being the key) - it's surprise is you go slow where you can take these things. Ground clearance is usually the deciding factor.

Too short, and cramped living and as pointed out by another poster - lower CCC, would not be too slick for a full time rig.

Best of luck, and have fun on your hunt,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We loved our 27 footer till our butts got bigger, our son got bigger and the dog got bigger!!!
Now absolutely loving it with 3 slides and 36 feet.
With us the key was the floor plan and then the extra storage, space and holding tank capacity was the plus to it.
So for now smaller may be nicer but plan ahead!!!
Herb, Anna and Lil Herb
2013 Winnebago Vista 35B

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #26
I boondock/free camp all over CO. There is a lot of camping where you can fit the larger rigs, however the spots I have really come to enjoy for solitude the larger than 30' would not work out well. The biggest issues I have seen with the larger units in non cam[ground spots is that the rear overhang is killer. There is open land for them, they just get hung up trying to get there. Keep the overhang in mine when purchasing a unit. If you are going to stay around more popular places you will be fine. Areas such as Buena Vista, CO have many spots that larger rigs do fine. It's more of the high country back roads/spots that get tight. Good luck!
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #27
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Real important to be under 30' for us. We mostly boondock and many of the places we like will not accept or accommodate anything over 27' so we made that the max length on our list. It's just the two of us and the dog so no need for slides. That cut the weight even more and increased our capacity. It has the E450 chassis and little overhang so it handles well on the highway. Most shorter models we looked at had a shorter narrower E350 chassis with a lower cargo capacity which I did not want.

I would have been okay with a 25' or less but my wife wanted a full time queen bed we did not have to set up and climb over each other to get in and out of. We found one with a queen that was not stuffed in a corner and with no slides can be used at rest stops when traveling. We moved up from a very cramped 19' B. Pick your length and floor plan you like and go from there.
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
Toads: '15 Ford Focus, '10 Harley Softail Custom and '15 Harley Softail Deluxe
Upstate (the other) New York
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
We are on our 2nd. 30' ft. MH. We are not FT, but if we were, I think the only change we would make is to go to two slides. For the 2 of us it just fits.

Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote