Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGeorge View Post
Model 7345
That's just a model, but who is the manufacturer?

I know the answer, because I've dealt with those lots. That is a Parallax 7300 Series w/a 45A converter, all built in IIRC.

It's a standard converter unit, not smart. Progressive Dynamics 4645 would be a replacement and it comes with the Charge Wizard board. Great product, easy install.
__________________

__________________
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
That's just a model, but who is the manufacturer?

I know the answer, because I've dealt with those lots. That is a Parallax 7300 Series w/a 45A converter, all built in IIRC.

It's a standard converter unit, not smart. Progressive Dynamics 4645 would be a replacement and it comes with the Charge Wizard board. Great product, easy install.
And you can force boost (bulk) mode.
__________________

__________________
2016 Cougar XLite 26RBI
2015 F150 Lariat SCrew 4x4 3.5L Booster
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGeorge View Post
Model 7345
Great charger/converter! I have one in my rig, and it's been performing flawlessly for the past 15 years. With 13.8 volt output, it is perfect for our Canadian climate, and can be left plugged in to 120 VAC 24/7 year 'round; but in warmer climates where 13.2 - 13.5 volts is preferred to avoid boiling the batteries, you have to keep a closer watch on the batteries.

Anyway . . . as avid boondockers who spend 70% of our time without electrical connections, we have learned to work with the 7343 converter, along with two house batteries.

Our biggest challenge is during our snowy sub-zero winter excursions to the south. At the end of a day on the road, the batteries are fully charged. We pull off the road at nightfall, around 5 pm, all the furnace, lights and TV go on for the evening. While the furnace at 10 amps is the biggest amp-sucker, we also have to contend with the fact that at sub-zero temperatures the battery capacity is only 50% of warm weather capacity. So . . while a blizzard is blowing all around us, we have to make sure the batteries are good to run the amp-sucking furnace until morning. So . . . our usual procedure, is to start the gen around ten o'clock for an hour, and that always gets us through the night.

So much for winter joys. Then there are typical nice warm summer days/climates like in the Everglades, where we only have to run the gen for an hour every four of five days. We usually pick a really got day to do that, so we can enjoy the air conditioning at the same time.

Basically, with a charger like this, running the gen for an hour will only get your batteries up to about 75 - 80% capacity, which is good enough. If you wish to continue to full charge, that will probably take another 10 - 20 hours generator time to achieve full charge. Not worth it! Next time you are on the road, the vehicle alternator will get them up to 100% charge in quick order.
__________________
Stan Birch
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 32T Ford V-10
Stan.Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #32
Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 41
The newer gen set controllers monitor house battery voltages and charge as needed. Makes boondocking easy.. Check out Onan genset 30..
__________________
grandpatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
sizzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
And you can force boost (bulk) mode.
Just be careful not to boost when the battery is not low on charge. Really I found you can just leave the wizard handle the work. But sometimes it does seem to not want to go to boost right away and it should be on boost. Great unit though.
__________________
Jay and Cindy, 2013 Thor Outlaw 37MD (up in smoke and fire).
sizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
sizzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
Great charger/converter! I have one in my rig, and it's been performing flawlessly for the past 15 years. With 13.8 volt output, it is perfect for our Canadian climate, and can be left plugged in to 120 VAC 24/7 year 'round; but in warmer climates where 13.2 - 13.5 volts is preferred to avoid boiling the batteries, you have to keep a closer watch on the batteries.

Anyway . . . as avid boondockers who spend 70% of our time without electrical connections, we have learned to work with the 7343 converter, along with two house batteries.

Our biggest challenge is during our snowy sub-zero winter excursions to the south. At the end of a day on the road, the batteries are fully charged. We pull off the road at nightfall, around 5 pm, all the furnace, lights and TV go on for the evening. While the furnace at 10 amps is the biggest amp-sucker, we also have to contend with the fact that at sub-zero temperatures the battery capacity is only 50% of warm weather capacity. So . . while a blizzard is blowing all around us, we have to make sure the batteries are good to run the amp-sucking furnace until morning. So . . . our usual procedure, is to start the gen around ten o'clock for an hour, and that always gets us through the night.

So much for winter joys. Then there are typical nice warm summer days/climates like in the Everglades, where we only have to run the gen for an hour every four of five days. We usually pick a really got day to do that, so we can enjoy the air conditioning at the same time.

Basically, with a charger like this, running the gen for an hour will only get your batteries up to about 75 - 80% capacity, which is good enough. If you wish to continue to full charge, that will probably take another 10 - 20 hours generator time to achieve full charge. Not worth it! Next time you are on the road, the vehicle alternator will get them up to 100% charge in quick order.
Perfectly stated Stan,

Exactly the way we run, only I added a volt metre to get a more accurate state of charge. I try not to ever go below 40% charge, but when the batteries are cold it can be hard to manage some times.
__________________
Jay and Cindy, 2013 Thor Outlaw 37MD (up in smoke and fire).
sizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
sizzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatime View Post
The newer gen set controllers monitor house battery voltages and charge as needed. Makes boondocking easy.. Check out Onan genset 30..
Are you referring to the auto start at a setting of low voltage on the battery? I believe you can buy the kit for many of the Onan genies. I always wanted one, but just never bothered. Maybe my next toy.
__________________
Jay and Cindy, 2013 Thor Outlaw 37MD (up in smoke and fire).
sizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 36
One item I don't see much discussion about is the difference in charge acceptance rate between flooded and AGM batteries.If the charge is done with solar, there is no difference in charge time because the rate of charging with solar is limited by the power output of your panels (200 to 600W being typical solar install vs 4,000 or 5500W from geny!)

Lifeline batters supposedly can be fully charged in 1 hour (if you have the right charger and geny power). I see Xantrex has a 60A charger that can be stacked, meaning 2 can be used in parallel to supply a 120A charging current. So a 200Amp-hour battery pack discharged to 50% can easily be re-charged in 1 hour from the geny.

The maximum charge rate Trojan reccomends for their T105 is something like 13% of bank capacity. So, if you regulary discharged your batters to say 60%, it would take 3 hours (3 times 13%) to put that energy back into the battery per the manufacturer. The limiting factor here is the battery technology, not the charger.

I would think part of the decision depends upon how often your solar panels get nearly full sun.
__________________

__________________
Full-time in <2 years and counting ...
Camp_Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Compartment Cleaning & Keeping It Clean wbhubbert3 Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 7 03-21-2014 01:18 AM
Battery charge question rvtime2 iRV2.com General Discussion 19 01-02-2014 07:43 PM
Engine won't start after battery charge ewaldo Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 7 11-26-2013 10:12 PM
Coach battery won't charge rlott2k MH-General Discussions & Problems 5 11-10-2013 11:27 PM
Chassis battery charge ddgilmore Entegra Owner's Forum 22 10-17-2013 05:09 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.