Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 07:21 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Keeping satellite on

I enjoy dry camping but when I lock in on my satellite I have to have the inverter on but to save battery I like to turn the inverter off. This knocks my satellite off and then I have to lock back on a satellite when I turn the inverter back on. Is there a way to keep the satellite locked on while the inverter is off?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 07:26 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
What kind of satellite antenna are you using? If it's a dome you're out of luck, they need power to switch between satellites and will loose lock if no power.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #3

Yes it is a dome satellite made by king dome
Old 10-31-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, I don't think you're going to have any luck then. A stationary dome MIGHT stay in position without power, but an in-motion dome pretty much can't. They're designed for what I would call "active aiming", which means the electronics are constantly testing the signal and adjusting the aim to keep on the satellite. That's what they need to do for in-motion use.

It's possible that the manufacturer put in a lock mode accessible from the control box that would lock the position prior to removing power, but I don't know if KingDome did that. The manual for your controller would say.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
Yes it is a dome satellite made by king dome
buckeyemike
Once my KingDome acquires, (locks onto), DirecTV's satillite 101 when my coach is parked in a particular location... it remains "locked on" to the satellite until my coach is moved...(whether the power.. or the inverter... or my DirecTV receiver is ON or OFF).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
buckeyemike
Once my KingDome acquires, (locks onto), DirecTV's satillite 101 when my coach is parked in a particular location... it remains "locked on" to the satellite until my coach is moved...(whether the power.. or the inverter... or my DirecTV receiver is ON or OFF).
Mel
'96 Safari
Sounds like yours is a stationary (not in-motion) dome. Those are more like the open-face dishes, and I'm not surprised it locks.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Sounds like yours is a stationary (not in-motion) dome. Those are more like the open-face dishes, and I'm not surprised it locks.
FlyingDiver
You are correct
Mine is a "stationary" KingDome....(I should have included that info).
Sorry
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #8

Mine is a stationary satellite also when I cut the power and turn it back on it has to search all over again
Old 11-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #9

Do you do anything special to keep yours locked on?
Old 11-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
I enjoy dry camping but when I lock in on my satellite I have to have the inverter on but to save battery I like to turn the inverter off. This knocks my satellite off and then I have to lock back on a satellite when I turn the inverter back on. Is there a way to keep the satellite locked on while the inverter is off?
Are you using DISH or Direct? Direct SD uses 1 satellite (101, I Believe) and DISH SD uses 2 (109 & 119). I have DISH & my old King Dome needed power all the time to stay locked on. I was told that it was because of the 2 satellites used.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe that part of the dome is 12 volt powered. You are probably using a 120 VAC to 12 VDC converter. Hook that directly to 12 VDC. A lot of domes use the 120 VAC to 12 VDC adapter because many RVs have dirty 12 VDC provided by the converter, not a worry when boondocking
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #12

Which King dome most will remain positioned when you power them off 1st so you can setup and then power off the antenna. However if you power off the receiver 1st it thinks it lost signal and begins a search. All receivers send a voltage signal to the antenna that signal tells the antenna what you want it to do. Inside the toggle voltage is digital signals that the antenna uses. Next time your out let the antenna come to a full stop and lock on then shut it off while still watching TV most will just shut down and remain locked on. It however will no longer switch satellites or fine tune.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #13

Thank you so much for your help you were exactly right I switched the satellite off first and then later switched it on and it did not have to search for satellites. it stayed locked on. thank you very much for your help
Old 11-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
What kind of satellite antenna are you using? If it's a dome you're out of luck, they need power to switch between satellites and will loose lock if no power.
Not on my dome.

Once it's locked on to a satellite I can turn off ALL POWER to it. The DirecTV box works w/o issue. I run SD & my antenna does not move between birds.

Once setup I just need to turn DTV box on as needed.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite