Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #1

Keeping the fresh water tank sanitized

With continual use how often should the fresh water tank be sanitized?

Can I add a 1/4 cup of bleach to every fill-up?

I am getting fresh water from 4 sources. The most questionable is from a spring. The other water comes from a city (small town actuall) water spigot at the local park.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
With continual use how often should the fresh water tank be sanitized?

Can I add a 1/4 cup of bleach to every fill-up?

I am getting fresh water from 4 sources. The most questionable is from a spring. The other water comes from a city (small town actual) water spigot at the local park.
If it is being used continuously and sanitized to begin with, I wouldn't worry about it. City water is already sanitized. 1/4 cup of bleach for your tank is ONLY to sanitize the system. You would leave set for an hour and then flush the entire system fully.

To disinfect relatively clean water for drinking, you would add 1 3/4 teaspoons of 5% household bleach (unscented) to 50 gals of water and let it sit for an hour. This would be about 2 PPM. If you are treating water from a lake, stream or shallow well, use twice as much household (5%) bleach and let it set 2 hours before drinking. This would be 4 PPM.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #3

I'm on well water so I hit mine with 1/4 cup of bleach every fill. And we always carry enough bottled water for drinking, so taste isn't an issue. Just something about stale water in a plastic tank makes me nervous.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #4

Forgot to mention we do not drink the water. We drink from gallon jugs of distilled water.

For the most part there is continual use of the water.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Forgot to mention we do not drink the water.
I hope not and I hope you never have to. Can't figure out why you would put that much bleach in a tank you never drink out of
Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #6

I do brush my teeth with the water in the tank plus obviously shower. I only sanatize in the spring...but up until now I have been wondering if I should do it more on a continual basis.

I think I will add a little bleach to every other tank.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We're full timers. Water tank refreshes continuously. We have a water softener and both sediment and carbon filters going into the tank.

Tank has never been sanitized since it was new.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #8

Ditto.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #9

NEW WAY TO SANTIZE, or is it?

Here is an interesting article on sanitizing fresh water tanks. Be sure to read the bottom section, "How I Sanitize...". A truly interesting concept.

Let the debate begin....

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitiz...er-system.html
DumOleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I only sanatize if I winterize (When I De-Winterize) or if there is an Incident, in 8 years with this rig "Incidents" = zero, in many years with Trailers, Incidents also equaled zero.

However that said, In the winter where I park the city is a bit free with the chlorine in the city water.. So it's sanatized, by them, no effort on my part.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #11

Thanks. Very interesting. I have always used the "old" method, but will try the "new" method soon.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I think the article goes a bit overboard, except for the paranoid If one uses their tank often, there is no need to do this. If you only use chlronated city water, there is no need to ever do it. Water itself just doesn't go bad, after all, all the water you drink today is at least 5 billion years old.

Of course as consumers, we have no idea if or how much bacteria is present, or if any substance is present that they can feed on and multiply....which is the bad part. This is why it's prudent to sanitize a tank if you leave water it in unused for long periods. I drain my tank and system when not in use.

If one encounters questionable water on the road, 2 teaspoons in 10 gals of water (waiting 60 mins) will make it safe to drink. Doing this on occasion will also keep the system safe.

I have done the cups of bleach and the 3-4 flush outs in a new to me coach, but unecessary (to me) once that's done. To each their own and comfort level.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
All of the water going into our tank goes through two or three filters depending on whether it comes from a lake or stream or city system. The three filter uses an NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) filter as the final. I sanitize once a year with Dichloride crystals.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
All of the water going into our tank goes through two or three filters depending on whether it comes from a lake or stream or city system. The three filter uses an NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) filter as the final. I sanitize once a year with Dichloride crystals.
A quick question. What is your procedure and amounts with the dichloride crystals?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote