Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #1

Kerosene Heater?

Thinking of taking two trips this fall/winter one by RV the other by boat. Also thinking about being cold! The RV and the boat both have heaters that run off power, but was looking for an alternative and quiet source of heat. Or something I didn't have to run the generator to use. Anyone use the kerosene heaters? Besides the smell is there anything I need to know?
Thanks
Eric
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Thinking of taking two trips this fall/winter one by RV the other by boat. Also thinking about being cold! The RV and the boat both have heaters that run off power, but was looking for an alternative and quiet source of heat. Or something I didn't have to run the generator to use. Anyone use the kerosene heaters? Besides the smell is there anything I need to know?

Thanks

Eric

Many people use propane with success, must keep a window cracked open to replenish the oxygen used since the heater is not vented. Be very careful....not worth getting killed by carbon monoxide poisoning
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #3

I know you mentioned smell but I literally hate them cause of THAT smell

I am not sure of your best course of action at this point. HOW cold is COLD?
what are your dealing with in temps?
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:06 AM   #4

Yeah the smell. I used to do all the maintenance on my motorcycles in the winter and used a kerosene heater. Even in a 3 car two story garage it was strong.
Later I started working on the bikes in the house.

I do have a big buddy now that I use for power outages at home and have been happy with its performance. There are also wall mounted propane heaters that are an option if you have the wall space.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used to have one that was a sort of catalytic heater on kerosene. It did work well but you can never get rid of the smell entirely. Also it does burn up the oxygen so you have to have a window or something open.

every year up here in Minnesooota people die in ice fishing houses from carbon monoxide poisoning. Usually from this type heater.

How about using the coaches heat source and just getting a bigger fuel tank.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Thanks
Eric
Buy a Mr. Buddy heater, runs on propane. Works great. Cleaner safer and easier then carrying kerosene. Stores easy also.
Oops camera was upside down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	217603  
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #7

if propane is an issue get an extend a stay and connect to a refillable tank.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Smell. Soot. Risk of flammable liquid fuel. The MR Heater Buddy heaters are a better choice, especially the ones with an O2 sensor that could prevent a tragedy.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #9

No matter what hydrocarbon fuel you use, LP, kerosene, fuel oil, or anything else, one of the by-products of that use is water vapor. In a cold climate just living in an RV traps the water vapor inside because they are so tight. This is from exhalation, perspiration, cooking, washing, etc. This is why windows get water build up on the insides and walls actually absorb the moisture and if cold enough develop an ice sheet between their inner and outer surfaces. Result:?? Rot, rust, little or no insulation value, and a cold, dank environment.

Not me, but if you can live with it without asphyxiating yourself, go for it.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If electricity is no problem why not a Delongi Heater or something similar. We had a very large work space like about 14 x 32 feet and one of those kept it toasty during cold days. These oil filled radiant heaters are sold at hardware stores, walmart, etc.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
If electricity is no problem why not a Delongi Heater or something similar. We had a very large work space like about 14 x 32 feet and one of those kept it toasty during cold days. These oil filled radiant heaters are sold at hardware stores, walmart, etc.
I use a small-ish oil filled radiator for heat in the trailer when I'm in a full hook up site until the outside temps turn below freezing, then I use the furnace because the furnace helps keep the tanks warmer.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #12

Carefull where you store propane on your boat.

If your using the 16 OZ cylinders, not a big deal if they leak.

If your using the 4.7 gallon, 20 lb BBQ tank, it needs to be stored where any leaking vapors can go overboard.

Propane is heavier then air and will fall to the ground under a RV and disapate. It will collect in the bilge of a boat right near the bilge pump. Lots of boats blow up from that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes a consideration is if the RV is equipped and fabricate to provide heating to the wet bays and tanks. In cold weather one would want that capability. If electricity is not a problem then ceramic UL approved heaters can be put in the wet bays. To protect the tanks it may be necessary to put a skirt round the rv.

Personally I'd move to a warmer climate.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #14

So I do have a propane heater (blue flame something?) at about 6-10,000 btu's
I had that on the boat two years ago as I was staying on it. The boat was in eastern Washington on the Columbia river temperature in the teens (the boat was frozen in the water). The heater did everything but melt the ice, it worked great, but I was constantly wiping the windows off.

I also have electric heaters as well when I'm plugged in or want to run the generators. The RV actually has the aqua hot system.

I have an Aladdin kerosene lamp with the lox-on mantle that burns like a 100 watt light bulb. You only smell the kerosene on lighting and when blowing it out. What I was wondering is, if any of the newer kerosene heaters along with the cleaner fuels actually burn clean with little to no smell.

Thinking it would be nice to have a warm glow giving off heat. Maybe just wishful thinking!

Thanks all
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater