Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
lake powell

Hi I need information on the Lake Powell area any dry camping there and what is the water level like? any information will be helpful thank you
Ryegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #2

check out the " Free campsites" site.
Look in a DeLorme state atlas.
Check the Lake Powell site for lake level.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #3

Lake Powell ~ November 2010

I SUV Camped at Lake Powell last October while the Wife was Cruising with a gal pal. Me and the Pooch had a blast for >1 week. The other Threads below likely have more pertinent info re: TT and/or Big Rig info.

I 4WD'ed it out of Big Water UT, just over the State Line, up toward the Escalante Staircase. Right at that turnoff, there's BLM info at the Ranger Station there. Other than crossing a shallow stream on gravel immediately north of Big Water, it's a very reasonable, County Road-type of drive. At the forked 'turnoff' to the East and Lake Powell ~12 miles in is where you'd want high clearance and 4WD IF it's dry. You cross over umpteen lil washouts; no problem when dry [it was]. Several 'Gully Washer' Storms hit the area hard ~1 month earlier.

The Lake level was the lowest since 1969; down about 75' from the Dam Spillway 'top'. I Dry Camped a few hundred feet back from the famous 'Alstrom's Point' from where lotsa pix are taken. Small Rock Cairns mark the endless turnoffs; it's somewhat-easy to get lost. It was a 'Thelma & Louise' drop of ~700' to the receded water. I took lotsa of pix from this exact spot, but didn't have all the Filters and Photoshop effects this pic does:

Alstrom Point ~ Lake Powell

There's a Verizon Cell Tower on top of Navajo Mountain at the rear left of that pic, so there was perfect Mobile/Laptop connectivity. Though ~20 miles in off-Road, Page AZ was line-of-sight, and I was under the flight path of small Planes leaving Page to the north. I texted my coordinates to a pal when I moved around [not much].

As you may know, there's few Roads to the water, irrespective of water level. I Bookmarked BLM Land in UT; around Page AZ; and south at the fantastic 'Lee's Ferry' Campground right on the CO River. One gal had been going there for 30 years.

Lee's Ferry

'Slot' Canyon Tours are at the S.E. edge of Page:

Slot Canyon Tours

'Google Earth' provided excellent recon 'flyover' pix in advance of travel, and elevation info. The 'Panoramio' function linked there is a good way to see uplinked Tourist pix. There are also links to Reviews and all sorts of useful info.

Trip Advisor

I like 'Weather Underground' for weather info.

Weather Underground

Anything you'd want is available in ~7,000 person Page, and folks were great. Super WalMart was kewl with Lot Camping there.

Indian Nation Land is all around, with separate Laws and Legal System; of note to those of us who Concealed Carry and/or try to tread lightly.

Stunning scenery. We'll definitely head back with our newly-acquired lil TT.
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryegal View Post
Hi I need information on the Lake Powell area any dry camping there and what is the water level like? any information will be helpful thank you
If you want to stay somewhat close to Page, there is a nice area north west on highway 89 about 15 minutes away from the dam called Lone Rock. It is a NPS campground on the beach. No hookups but they have water and dump station. You can camp on the banks of the lake here. I was here 2 years ago in a travel trailer but there were class A rigs and others there so you can get in and out with bigger rigs. Keep away from the far right end of the beach. the sand gets deep there and the NPS ranger at the gate will advise you. They charge $10 a night. Keep in mind if it is windy, the sand will blow.
Greg Lepage is offline   Reply With Quote