Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #1

Leave our rigs home and rent?

We are considering RENTING a Class C for a trip out West. Here's the scenario: 2 not-quite-retired couples from New England who have camped together since the kids were little and now they're grown. One couple has traveled cross-country with a travel trailer, the other hasn't done a long distance trip. We now each have our own fifth wheels and are experienced dry campers. We want to do a 2 week trip from Moab to Anaheim, hitting Arches/Canyonlands, Bryce, the North Rim, Vegas, and Disneyland along the way. We don't have enough time to haul our fivers that far and back, not to mention the fuel costs and wear and tear of a trip that far, so we're considering flying to Salt Lake City and renting a larger Class C from there to Vegas. Pricing seems comparable, or better than, rental car/hotels. We know there's some good boondocking areas near those national parks. The rental has a generator. We think it'll be a fun adventure together. Are we nuts?

stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Two couples in a Type C might work or might not. Personally I'd go the motel route just for the privacy.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #3

Sounds awesome. It's a long trip and if that's your time frame, you have to work with it. The only problem I can possibly see is not having a towed vehicle, maybe you could rent a small car and take turns following along for some or all of the trip. Of course, lots of people travel with no toad. Have Fun, southern Utah is really really beautiful.
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Two couples in a Type C might work or might not. Personally I'd go the motel route just for the privacy.
Yep, that's a concern. However, we have camped/traveled together extensively for 20 years, spent holidays at each other's homes, etc. It would be 11 days together in the C, then 2 nights with our own rooms to decompress at Disney before flying home.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I ran into a couple that got a great deal on an RV rental. They picked it up at factory in Indiana and drove it to the rental agency in California. There seemed to be plenty of time to enjoy it as they spent 4 days boondocking on Lake Powell in Utah. AND... it was brand new!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancybninja View Post
Sounds awesome. It's a long trip and if that's your time frame, you have to work with it. The only problem I can possibly see is not having a towed vehicle, maybe you could rent a small car and take turns following along for some or all of the trip. Of course, lots of people travel with no toad. Have Fun, southern Utah is really really beautiful.
Good point. Plus, a rental car would offer options to split up from time to time. That would help with group sanity.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #7

I think your plan is perfect. Go for it!!

You have some pluses on your side: seasoned campers, like dry camping, compatible camping partners. Perfect!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
OCM

I made most of that trip with my sister and mother in a class C rental. Went without a toad, had a hoot of a good time. Of course, I live in Colo and had further to travel, but travelling with good friends is a treat. I say "Go For It'. The memories will be worth every cent. If you have a "Older Than Dirt" pass from the Park service you get in all the Parks free, so it saves a couple of tanks of fuel. Get one before you leave, and tell them I sent you.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #9

If you're thinking about it, then you and the other couple have talked about it without anybody shying away for privacy issues. That said, it's your best bet given time constraints, so have fun and enjoy the vacation.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #10

I rented a small class from 'Cruise America'. It worked out fine for my wife and I. Maybe if each rented an RV. One RV seems to work best with only 2 people.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #11

seems to me that in the overall scope of things, the time and effort may very well wind up being even more emcompassing than simply pulling your own RVs to the vacation point, not to mention the additional costs, lack of the same amenities and room you may be used to, and the new 'limits' you may fall into while using someone else's vehicle.

my experience with flying is that there is a lot, a lot, of time involved, not just the 'flight time' once you actually physically leave the ground, but the time getting to the airport, the time getting to check-in for baggage, the security lines, the waiting at the gate, the boarding time, the 'we're not able to take off on time' time, the waiting for baggage at the final location, the finding a ride to the hotel or RV rental company, the check-in and PDI time for the RV, etc. and more.

now, maybe, you say that there's no way it could take 3 days to fly there, like it would to drive there in our RV, even considering all the 'hassle factor'. Right. But it WILL take 2. And, where you are 'landing' is no where near where you are 'going', so there is still a lot of travel involved to reach the same point.

Is the 'extra' day really that awful, considering that you would be on your own, at your pace, stopping as you desire, and/or driving as fast as you wish. I say na, na.

That's why I have my own RV. Cheers! : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #12

The huge problem with flying is you can not bring anything.

Of course flight time is hours vs days of driving.

I am thinking possibly of buying a mid size truck and much smaller camper so I can travel easier and faster.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #13

Sounds like a good plan. Turn RV in when reach Vegas. Stay in hotel in Vegas. Rent a large car and drive to Anaheim, hotel there and turn car in at LAX airport.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:27 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Should work fine. We have rented RV’s several times, in Alaska, Montana etc. flying or just driving a car is faster than driving your RV.

Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote