Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

Linville Falls this weekend

I'm going dry camping at Linville Falls this weekend. The state run park off the Blue Ridge Parkway. I won't call it boondocking as it is a campground, but there are no hookups, so I'll be on my own systems. Hope to check out my new battery pack and my portable solar panel.

I do need some suggestions on hiking though. Not sure where you go to hike to the see the falls, place to get good photos, etc. I am healthy, so an aggressive trail is no problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #2

Cool - let us know how everything turns out. I forget, did you hook two batteries together? 12V or 6V. Sorry, I forget.

I have heard of Linville Falls so it should be a real nice place to camp. If you are still in Pa. take a look at Trough Creek State Park. Trough Creek runs into Raystown Lake. Look at hikes on the Terrace Mountain Trail.

Have fun

Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #3

actually I ended up with four T105s (6v) and 1 SC225 (12v) for a useable capacity of 300 amp hours +/-.

as a follow up, the weekend went great and I got to use a bunch of new stuff.

The Go-Power 120w portable solar panel worked great. It kept the batteries topped off and would charge even with cloudy skies. This thing is very nicely assembled, but the instructions leave ALOT to be desired. Figured out that you have to turn off load mode so it will send a charge to the batteries. I showed 3/4 on Sunday according to my built-in battery gauge after a late night of TV watching, all the lights on, fans on, etc. I was actively trying to use up battery power by leaving things on. Seems to me the only way to really run these down is to run coffee maker, microwave or a toaster on the inverter. I do like my toast, but the other things I can do without. LED lights are the bomb, yo!

I only ran my Yamaha generator on Sunday morning so I could make some toast and charge up the batteries, as I had put the panel away at dusk on Saturday. Did test running the AC, but it would only trip the genset. I did run AC with this generator on my old trailer, but this one will not run. Go figure. Been looking at the Yamaha 2800, but not sure I want to get that or buy another 2000 and hook to my existing 2000. Seems like double the noise and double the fuel that way. I do also have a Yamaha 1000 watt, but not sure you can parallel that with a 2000.

Ran my Dish Tailgaiter, Reciever and Samsung 22" LED TV off the inverter some Friday, all day and evening Saturday and some Sunday morning. Works great and got several people to stop by and ask about it.

I got to run my new propane fire pit - this is the one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I like this one much better that the little red campfire I had used previously. It's much larger, burns about the same amount of propane (a lot), but the fire is more pleasing and "realistic". It's alot more to store and has no cover, so could be messy loading and unloading.

Several people stopped by to admire my Vantage. I overheard one couple comment "that's one of those expensive trailers". If they only knew.

Hiked all the trails from the visitor center to the falls. Got some great pictures. Lots of people with their dogs on the trails. All well behaved and did not encounter any free-range poops.

I've had various RV's for over 20 years. Never had any problems with tank emptying until the last few outings. Second time I've been sprayed with poop water from a hose not sealing up properly. Luckily no witnesses, and I could change clothes and clean up. I may need to get better hoses/attachments.

I really like this campground. Seems fairly well cared for and was quiet and orderly until this big group came in. It looked to be several families together with about 20 kids hooping and hollering and running around. I enjoyed watching their chaos, but some other folks were clearly perturbed. Mostly tent campers as this place has no hookups. Surprisingly, they had bathrooms, but no showers.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #4

Wow - sounds like you did not take any short cuts. Glad you seem to have a lot of juice for everything.

Hey...did you cut away the cushions on your U-Shaped lounge. On out Vantage 25RBS we removed the cushions by cutting the connecting fabric. I give that lounge comfort a grade 'C-'. It looks comfortable but it is not.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #5

There are six or seven hiking trails around Linville Falls. We only had time for two. If we had not had our tractor dog to pull us up some of them, it would have been much tougher. (We shared the dog and one got a head start so the dog had to try to be first.) It is a beautiful place, even more so considering the rest of the BRP.

Matt