Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Looking For a Boondocking Spot on Route 1 in Cali.

We will be heading down 1 from Monterey to Los Angeles. Looking for a spot where we can spend the day at the beach and spend the night in the same spot and head out in the morning. I remember seeing a thread with pictures Of people doing just that. Any help would be great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
69 views and nothing? Anyone?

Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #3

RV Boondocking at Pismo State Beach

Pismo State Beach at Arroyo Grande (alternately referred to as Oceano Dunes State Recreation Area) is the only stretch of California coast where driving on the beach is permitted. A $5.00 per vehicle day-pass allows vehicles to drive anywhere on a 5-mile section of beach and it includes in-and-out privileges. For an additional $5.00 per night, you may camp on the beach (but only in a designated section which can, sometimes, be difficult to get to).

It's state-controlled beach – reservations are accepted and only 1,000 spots are on offer so, on summer weekends, especially long weekends, they’re booked many months in advance. Avoid these times or book ahead by calling1-800-444-7275 at least 48 hours and up to 7 months in advance.

There are two entrances and the allowed beach camping area is 1 mile south of the Pier Ave entrance. The only way to reach it is to drive that mile on the beach. Of course, there is always a danger of getting stuck in beach sand and you do have to cross a (small) creek; however, thousands of RVs do it without a problem every weekend. Check tide levels before you attempt it.

CA Hwy 1 is also lined with State and County Parks, many with campsites along the beach. Nightly fees around $35.00 for dry camping.

You may also have seen photos of RVs lined up along a stretch of Hwy 1 at Rincon RV Parkway in Ventura County. They pay $27.00 per 24-hour period with a limit of 7 days in summer months. First-come, first-served but it's always packed so you have to be lucky to get a spot and you're parked parallel to the busy highway.

Although there's no FREE beach boondocking on this coast, the Frugal Shunpiker's Guide for California Coast and Mountains (I'm the author) lists a some free options a few miles off the highway, free beach day-access locations, campgrounds where the sites aren't packed in quite as tightly as others, a couple where ocean-side camping is less expensive, and those where not every campsite is by reservation only.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. It was extremely helpful.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #5

Take a look at the app rvovernight. I know it's available for iphone, android? Most sites listed without hookups and are free. Many are parking lots like walmarts. There alot of listings along the CA coast.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimtownMike View Post
Take a look at the app rvovernight. I know it's available for iphone, android? Most sites listed without hookups and are free. Many are parking lots like walmarts. There alot of listings along the CA coast.
I am not finding that app for iPhone, do you think it is listed with another name?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #7

How long is your coach? Taking the 1 south down to San Luis Obispo may be a touch of an experience depending on your driving comfort. Certainly beautiful, but it'll be work, so you may not get to enjoy it that much. And I'm not sure there's any spots on PCH in that area where you can overnight...

Pismo is a great area and if it is midweek outside of summer the North Beach State campground is well worth 25 bucks for the night.

Steve
Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I am not finding that app for iPhone, do you think it is listed with another name?
Do a search for rvovernight just as I typed it here, it is the only app that comes up. It is a listing of free campgrounds. They range from forest service camps to city parks and walmart parking lots where overnighting is allowed. Some allow for more than one night. The app is free too.
Mike
Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #9

It is in the app store and is written for the ipad and ipod touch also. ios 5.0 or newer.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #10

I just downloaded the app, great, thanks. I see lots of choices besides Walmart on the routes I travel.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You won't find much on the entire CA coast where you can legally Boondock overnight. There are plenty of cheap places that are not RV Parks which charge a nominal fee, $5-$10 a night to park in a spot along a paved road right on the ocean shoreline.

There are lots of state beaches and other places that charge a going rate for the privilege to park near the beach.

Mu suggestion is to take the trip once and find out for yourself where the good spots are and then mark them on your travel log for future trips.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-17-2014, 01:09 AM   #12

One more thing about the app DO NOT BUY THE PRO VERSION. the only difference between the two is the pro version does not display the upgrade to pro banner. The pro upgrade is a scam. Now that the app has been around a while there are plenty of negative reviews regarding the developer did not research properly. There are cities that do not allow overnighting, sonora and crescent city are a couple of examples where overnighting is banned. Sonora's ban is tied in to their transient bedroom tax.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #13

I just returned from a 2 week trip to the Big Sur area, and I boondocked for several nights along Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd. It is directly above Kirk Creek campground. A well maintained, single lane forest service road, with several pullouts with million-dollar coastline views, I would definitely stay there again. Bring leveling blocks.
I stayed there in a class B camper van.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #14

Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd not for large motorhomes

One caution about the Ncimiento-Fergusson Rd. I believe AttilaKara72's signature indicates he drives a Monaco Windsor (a class-A coach?). Definitely wouldn't suggest N-F road for anything longer than 25 feet or so.

It's paved but very steep and winding and the pulloffs are on blind curves to provide the only place for longer vehicles to swing wide or get off to let traffic pass - so being parked at most of them will impede traffic. Also once you start up, you're committed; there's no place for any RV (even a van-size) to turn around for at least 7 miles. Still, there's no signage to the contrary so you could probably get away with parking overnight. If you want to consider it, definitely drive it in your tow vehicle first.

You might also check out www.boondockerswelcome.com (my other web site). We have hosts offering free overnights in Monterey, Arroyo Grande, and Lompoc (unfortunately none with space for larger than 25' RV). www.harvesthosts.com is another option. They may have some locations for larger rigs. Annual membership required but save one night in a campground and you're ahead of the game.

Tags
boondocking