Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Maine Boondocking

The wife, I and two little dogs are planning an East Coast Trip. One of the states we hope to spend some time in is Maine. I've done some preliminary research on Boondocking aka "Dispersed Camping" for little or no camping fees. And of course, no hook-ups. We have numerous National Forests here in Arizona where we have this type in abundance.

Can anyone give me some guidance in locating such places, especially within 100 miles of the coast, say on a lake or river.
Any assistance would be fantastic!! Thanks in advance....

AzHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The DW is from Maine and we traveled there every summer for 40 years. This area is not close to the coast but it is well worth the visit.

Check out the Moose head Lake region. There are a lot of side roads available for boondocking. The area is mostly owned by the GN Paper Company. A lot of the land is owned by GN (Great Northern) but accessible. Kayaking or canoeing the area would be great.

TeJay

Old 11-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Maine Boondocking

Thanks Tejay,
Since you mentioned kayak and canoes, I will be wanting to wet a line quite often. Sounds like a good place. I'll look into it.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #4

Map of Free Camping Areas | Go Camping for Free! Here is a web site I found and used, shows all the BLM camping in north america. Be patient and do some searching and you should find what you need. We stayed at couple in Arizona around Wickenburg and Lake Havasu. Just punched in the LAT & LON GPS coordinates and took us right there, very handy!

Good luck and happy trails!!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Maine Boondocking

Thanks mdpuff.
That should be a great site for our entire trip. Much appreciated.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #6

A lot of time has passed since the original post...however....the Great Maine Northwoods ( a privately owned multimillion acre forest area owned by paper and wood product Giants) is open to visitors for both camping and hunting/fishing.
There is a small fee collected at one of several entrance gates into the area.
The roads are all unpaved but well maintained for the log trucks. Great streams, rivers, ponds and lakes for fishing and many spots for camping...all boondock style.
The area is pure wilderness...no cell signals...splendid way to get away from it all.
Plenty of information available at the check-in cabins at each gate. Area is patrolled by the Maine Warden Service. Wildlife in abundance....moose, bear, Cayote and more. Great fishing. A must visit for Boondockers!!!
Be sure to obtain the publication: Maine Atlas & Gazetteer
You will need the maps in this valuable publication if you enter the Great Maine Northwoods....few if any road signs...most roads not charted by your GPS....great spot to get lost in.
Make sure you have a full tank of gas before entering...no phone lines...no power lines...no gas stations...no cell signals.

Happy Camping!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Boomster is correct about those areas. I've been on some of those roads. Caution is needed. Why??? The logging trucks THINK (& do) own those roads. Never assume as you round a corner that an oncoming vehicle will already be on there side of the road. They will be all over that road and they will not be driving slow. Also make sure you have what it might take to get yourself out of some muddy areas. With a lot of potential rain and gravel/mud roads lots of bad stuff might happen. As stated you'll have little or no consistent cell phone coverage. Things may have improved over the years but don't count on it. Those truckers also like to use their cell phones as well so who knows.
When wetting a line expect a lot of Northern Pike and small mouth bass. When I fished up there back in the 60's I caught a lot of bass. The locals referred to them as trash fish. They were after the Togue (basically a landlocked salmon or trout) or stream trout. All other fish were trash. I never thought that way so there were a lot of bass to catch.
Enjoy your travels.

TeJay
Old 04-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #8

TeJay has it about right. During wet months things can get a little rough on these unimproved roads. Those giant double tandem log trucks do tend to drive like they own the roads...because they do!...when you enter the great Maine Northwoods this is all explained to you. Never stop on these roads...always pull off the travel lanes. All the logging trucks fly down these roads...no speed limits...no laws to inforce!
I never had any problems. Used to spend about a week there in October for grouse and woodcock hunting...fantastic!.....always wanted to return to fly fish the Alagash a famous River for trout. You will see a lot of wildlife including Moose and such.This is one very special place and it is great that the wood product and paper companies that own this gem keep it open for the general public. Not a bad idea to bring along a rifle or a shotgun...lots of bears that you rarely see as they don't like people...make plenty of noise when you hike in these woods and you will never see a bear...if you are quiet you might suprise one (not a good thing)...moose are unpredictable so keep your distance...they might look dumb and slow but if provoked they can charge at speeds in excess of 30 MPH...I can't run that fast!
They however have some rules about 4 wheelers and such. Google them up to read some details about the rules....if you love nature this place is worth the effort.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
You guys have been great. Thanks much for the information. I will be driving a 36 ft, Allegro Bus diesel pusher with a Jeep Wrangler as my Toad. So I will be limited for the M/H and will need fairly good roads. BUT, once settled in I will be able to wonder with the Jeep. I will be carrying handguns but no rifle or shotgun. I'm in the process of checking out the laws of the states I will be traveling through. Being a retired LEO I don't want any firearms problems for sure. We will be starting towards the East coast long about the first of May which should put us in Maine in June some time. I do hope to run across some of the local and state LEO's. My father was a Game Warden in Indiana. It would be fun to exchange some war stories with the MWS folks. Hopefully it will be on a casual basis, not professionally.
Again, thanks so very much for the information. We live in the high elevations of Arizona, 6,000 feet. It will be nice to see the hardwoods for a change over the Ponderosa Pines, Junipers and Pinions. And I can't wait to tie into some Northerns. We have some here in Lake Mary south of Flagstaff but the are Hammer Handles. I need some that are a bit larger!! And being from Indiana and Arizona, Small mouth are not trash fish for me!

Travel safe folks.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #10

Considering the complex nature of state to state handgun regulations I only bring long guns on my RV adventures. A shotgun covers just about any circumstance.
I do know Maine will issue you a handgun carry permit if you supply one from your home state, however you will be traveling through many anti-gun states (New York, Connecticut and Massechuettes to name just a few). Having an unloaded shotgun in your hotor home would avoid the problem. Even with identification as a retired LEO you will encounter a lot of un-needed grief if your handgun is discovered.
Maine game wardens are used to seeing armed sportsmen on a daily basis. They are the only law in the Maine Northwoods. They do strongly inforce the unloaded firearm in a motor vehicle law...unloaded and you are good to go.

The last time I visited the Maine Northwoods the main roads were all well maintained. Travel on the secondary roads can be either good or very bad.
Days of heavy rain make these roads a real challenge !

Happy Camping.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Boondocking in Maine

Thanks much Boomster. I appreciate all the information. I think your on the right track with the long guns. Especially the shotgun. I have one I use for hunting and my son has one for whatever else one might need one for. I may even be able to talk Momma into a short, legal one for hunting snakes, rats or other close range animals.

Travel safely, maybe run across you one the road.

Bill

Tags
boondocking