Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Man boondocking with a generator

My question, I plan to use the generator to charge my one group 27 battery. While the generator is running I will use the micro wave to cook, and heat water for a shower. I do not need A/C and hopefully not heat. I want to run the generator as little as possible.

How many hours a day will I need to run the generator?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2018, 10:21 AM   #2

That's hard to say. It all depends what you are doing how long your doing it for
We start our generator in the morning make coffee , toast etc we run about an hour, then supper time , give or take run about hour or so. The battery we have is the same as yours, and we can run the lights and radio for the rest of the night . Seems to work ok but your not watching tv or drawing extra power
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One group 27 battery is not much to charge so will charge quickly. But on the other hand won't last long either if much usage and then requiring more frequent charging. So hard to estimate...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #4

I will only use the radio and a few lights at night. I will be boondocking in June and July when daylight hours are the longest. So some nights I might go right to sleep.

I plan to shower every other day and sponge bath the other days.

Keeping my phone charged will be a concern but my truck has a live outlet that will help.

The more I think about it, this will be easier than initially thought. I have access to water and currently have containers to carry water.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #5

That is all we had in our second TC and we boondocked just fine with it for 23 years. We ran nearly everything on propane. We too ran the gen for a short time in the morning as my wife heated her tea/coffee water in the micro and we let it run a short time to warm up charge the batt.

After a few years of trying to keep a charge in the battery with significant furnace use I added a catalytic heater which took care of that problem.

There were a few times that the camper bat ran down too much to start the gen and we had to start the truck engine to get it going. I don't think that happened after adding the catalytic heater.

If you're really in the boonies, be careful not to run the truck battery down.

Our gen was built in and ran off propane. We, I should say my wife, ran it for the AC whenever she was too warm and it always worked out all right.

After a trip or two you'll have it figured out. Enjoy!!

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #6

For phones you should purchase some 10000mah Usb charging battery packs. They will also run USB fans I have.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #7

1stMH - yea, that is right. I forgot all about those. Thanks. It can charge the phone battery a few times!!!
Old 04-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #8

One Group 27 Battery ......try to stay above 60% SOC

Might take gen 2-3 hours of run time to fully charge

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
1stMH - yea, that is right. I forgot all about those. Thanks. It can charge the phone battery a few times!!!
That's just reminded me order more for the home and one for the coach. Got two 20,00mah ones for 36$ for the pair.

We also use them to charge LED spot lights.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
My question, I plan to use the generator to charge my one group 27 battery. While the generator is running I will use the micro wave to cook, and heat water for a shower. I do not need A/C and hopefully not heat. I want to run the generator as little as possible.

Need to know a couple of things . What type of charger do you have and what is its charging current. Also have to know how much power is being taken out of the battery.
If your battery is 100 amp hrs , and you run it down to 12 volts (50% discharged) and you have a 25 amp charger , your generator would have to run at least 2.5 hrs to fully recharge the battery. Most times a 1.5 hr run in the morning and another at night will do.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #11

no one, no really, NO ONE, is going to be able to 'tell you' how long your generator will run each day - we are all different and your usage and needs are different than everyone elses, your systems have different demands and wattage needs depending on age, type, and how you 'use' them, your batteries age and condition as well as your number of amp hours they support, and your generator type, size, and power output, as well as your charger, will all 'contribute' to the time. And, did I mention weather, as in temperature?

Without you giving it a try for a while, and starting to understand your 'real world' usage of your electrical needs, which even change every day, there's really no way anyone of us can tell you anything.

Not to be a wet towel on your original question, but electrical usage and generator run times are too broad to approach even a guess.
Two homes, side by side, the same size, layout, and with the same number of folks, and saying that they use electricity the 'same' everyday, will have different electricity bills, sometimes VERY different. People 'say' they do things one way, but how they actually do them can be very different when it's all said and done. You may find the same. : )

enjoy!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #12

Quote:

At least get another battery.

Also, look into solar. It gives you more flexibility.

I have the below to run my DISH TV box.

I have 260 watts of panels and 2 12 volt batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Power-.../dp/B01DP9JE18
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:06 PM   #13

I agree on getting more than one battery if you want to boondock. Get a few 6 volt deep cycle, and use a volt meter to keep an eye on the voltages. Go by the chart that someone put in this thread earlier. Try to keep your batteries in the top 50 percent for longer battery life. We boondocked a lot this winter, but we were in a 40 ft rv with four six volt house batteries and an on board inverter. We ran the furnace at night and watched tv. We would run the generator for a couple hours in the morning, then a couple more in the evening. This worked for us. Your needs will differ, so get a volt meter so you can keep an eye on your battery levels. I would say generally, plan on running it for at least a few hours a day.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #14

Quote:

As long as it takes to replace the amp-hours depleted from the battery since your last full charge.

Is the only correct answer.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, generator