Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Folks, my dog could eat a horse if he put his mind to it!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Folks, opinions please on success of this potential endeavor. Taking delivery of a Newmar 3113. Plan on a considerable amount of boon docking. Also,considering not purchasing a Toad for financial reasons. Obviously there will be obstacles but I certainly don't know all of them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Am I nuts or is this a possibility?
Thank You.
I can't think of a better reason to wait on the Toad than financial. With a little planning, going without a Toad can even be fun. We have a class 29' Class C. I used it this weekend to take the grandkids to the local Science Museum. It's fun to have everything you need/want right there with you. We'll probably have a Toad when/if we go fulltime but we'll also have at least a 40' er. No Toad for our 29'er.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #17

As mentioned earlier, the safety and convenience aspect is important enough for the DW and I. Between the five of us (three schnauzers) and the exploring we like to do, the added expense of towing a toad is worth it.

Great advice on going toadless for a season to see if it works for you. With some good planning on packing enough of the essentials (food, water, fuel, medical kit, etc...) I think you would do just fine.
RudeS1W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #18

Folks, bought a toad. Thanks for all the advice.
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Scooters are not street legal everywhere. Vote for a used smaller towable that can be used in rain. If you add in a used dolly that includes a lot of front drive cars.
If you can license it in your home state, I don't see why the plate wouldn't be valid everywhere. Whether you'd want to ride a 50cc scooter on the highway is another matter. In Texas, you can ride four wheelers and golf carts on public roads without plates. There are some speed and distance restrictions.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:23 AM   #20

I'm pretty sure scooters are not street legal in NY. We never see them on the road. If they were legal somebody would be driving and selling them They would be an attention getter for LEO. I'll leave the rest up to the lawyers.

FWIW I suspect you are correct for automobiles but that thing like scooters and golf carts fall under a different section of the law. I'm pretty sure that is how they got away with higher polluting engines for years.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I'm pretty sure scooters are not street legal in NY. We never see them on the road. If they were legal somebody would be driving and selling them They would be an attention getter for LEO. I'll leave the rest up to the lawyers.

FWIW I suspect you are correct for automobiles but that thing like scooters and golf carts fall under a different section of the law. I'm pretty sure that is how they got away with higher polluting engines for years.
Your reply made me curious so I checked the NY DMV website and scooters are legal, but restricted by their top speed. If they are capable of speeds of at least 30 mph they are legal in all traffic lanes. There are 2 classes below that that have lane restrictions. Again, I wouldn't drive a 50CC scooter on a highway anywhere.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #22
mat

Quote:
Folks, bought a toad. Thanks for all the advice.
Glad to hear it. now if your fur baby has a problem, getting to the vet just became a lot easier.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Your reply made me curious so I checked the NY DMV website and scooters are legal, but restricted by their top speed. If they are capable of speeds of at least 30 mph they are legal in all traffic lanes. There are 2 classes below that that have lane restrictions. Again, I wouldn't drive a 50CC scooter on a highway anywhere.
Interesting. I used to see scooters when I was in my teens. Since then they have disappeared from the roads. That is in a metropolitan area where one would think somebody would be trying to use one. Thank You for the correction.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad