Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #29
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
1 24v 1 thats why you see 24v in alot of high end RVs it 1 to 1
The reason for 24V systems in cars is to reduce current in long runs of cable. Moving up to a 24V system reduces amperage exactly in half versus a 12v system. This means for long runs of cable you can run a smaller diameter cable(higher gauge). Also for large diesel motors, you need a 24V starter because the higher voltage starter will have more torque. This extra torque is needed to turn a large diesel motor in the winter due to cold heavy oil.

I think in your math you are going by RMS current(0.707 X Peak). But even if you are going by RMS you should always calculate based on wattage. Even then, you are still looking at about 7 amps (12vDC) for every 1 amp of 120AC. Keep in mind that most inverters only have 90% efficiency, so if you are using 100W of AC power, calculate the DC amperage for 111W of power.

gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #30
gggplaya i have a 12v system and a 24 system on the RV

i have lived off solar for house/Rv now for 6 or7 guessing years

i have had 12 24 48v systems

then all ways using a TriMetric Battery System
Bogart Engineering Products | Bogart Engineering

the numbers where all ways around what i sade and what i would see every day on stocking the numbers LOL yeah i know its not right on but around

pics are of my old houes 48v system and now the roof my rv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2225.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	42018   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120616_175047.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	42019  

terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote