Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
More Boondocking in Ontario

Hi, this place is Thieving Bear Lake and is off a dirt access road from Highway 11 north of North Bay, Ontario near Temagami. Found this place via YouTube so, only fitting to show you what it's like via ... YouTube.

Not suitable for Class A or C but Class B and smaller sized trailers would be OK. I was there during the recent long weekend and the "premium" spot was already occupied by a trailer, PU truck and tent ... so I continued on the dirt road not knowing what I'd find. Well, I did find a spot right beside the road but also right beside the lake at a clearing obviously used as a boat launch. I had the whole area to myself the entire weekend. Enjoy ...

This is on Crown Land and Ontario residents can stay free for 21 consecutive days before having to move on. The roads are from old logging operations and now used as access to back country hunting camps.

scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 10:08 PM   #2
Do you have the coordinates?

MADP, Jeep, Blue Ox, SMI AFO, Solar: 900w/672a, Amish cooling unit, Lifetime: SKP & Days End
ByeTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #3

no co-ordinates ... I just looked on Google Maps to see where the lake is and drove there.

I should mention that along the same access road, on the way to Thieving Bear lake, there is a smaller lake that has three sites ... any of which a smaller Class C would fit (not sure how level the sites are since I didn't stop to look at them).

Old 09-09-2016, 06:37 AM   #4
We have camped on Crown Land south of Geraldton in Ontario.
In between Boobus and Hartley Lake. N49'28.360 W87'09.050
This is all logging country with free camps scattered throughout the area.
Be sure to bring in all the stuff you need, it is remote.
Lots of small lakes loaded with Pickerel and Trout.
All the roads are well graded gravel logging roads.

In Ontario, Crown Land is similar to the BLM lands in Arizona and Utah, just greener
2009 Monaco Monarch 33SFS...Jeep TJ
Wintering in Apache Junction. Summer in Ontario.
harris155 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
Thanks Harris155,

yes, that whole region has lots to offer. Next summer, that may be the area I head to.

This was one of the advantages of towing a trailer (when I had one) ... just unhook and go exploring for a day on the logging roads. They usually go past hidden gems.