Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #57

Alpine Owners Club
Lorna, we need a movable rack installed in a cabinet, is that the kind of work you guys do? I cannot seem to find something I can just install in it. So I guess a custome job is what we need.

If you are interested, send me a PM and we can exchange e-mail addresses.

I also like tools, be they hand tools or power tools. I just hate paying for them, the other day I purchased a new crimp kit for RG-6 Cabeling since I do a lot of RV Video and Audio work. The new kit is great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 12:23 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Lorna, we need a movable rack installed in a cabinet,
Here's some that you might want...
Pantry Pullouts - Rockler

Pull Out Baskets - Rockler

We only do woodwork for ourselves now. We have sold off 90% of our tools and only kept what we felt we absolutely needed or couldn't part with yet. Most of the stuff in the two links I gave can be installed by someone who can read directions and use a screwgun (power screw driver/drill).

Old 09-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #59

Alpine Owners Club
Hey that is great, and I think I found one which might fit.

I am going to assume your motorhome is one of the GMC's I read an article about in FMCA magazine last year. Too bad they quit making them, at the time they were state of the art. Many features not even heard of, in the current type of coaches for those years. There is one in the storage facility I used last year, but it needs an off frame restoration to get it right.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:18 AM   #60
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Most Lowes & home Depots do allow RV parking overnight (we have asked the managers at several). ...
Asking at "several" stores isn't a large enough sample from which to make sweeping statements about the 3,800+ stores in these two chains.

Between 55% and 60% of the Lowe's and Home Depots listed in my database allow Overnight RV Parking; the remaining 40% to 45% do not. The total number of these stores in my database is still a small percentage of their total number of stores. I'm sure these percentages will change as I get reports on more of their stores. But I think saying that "most" of them allow Overnight RV Parking is overstating the case.
jobriant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #61
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
I've noticed that the new Walmart stores are eliminating RV by egress and parking design. They are almost impossible to bring in a large RV and have little suitable space to park if you do manage it. I have not used Walmarts for overnighting. I have stopped in several while on the road to buy supplies and find the new parking lot designs a no go for that purpose. They lose my business there. I find their new parking lots a PITA in my pick-up, which admittedly has a turning radius of an aircraft carrier.
This is a area where they or anyone else building a new location really have no control over. Parking lot designs are being regulated and enforced by local, state, and even the federal government to make parking lots safer by controlling speeds and traffic flow. If you think a large RV has a problem think about a semi driving in the wrong area while trying to make a delivery mixed in with pedestrian foot traffic (limited access design is aimed directly at semi traffic), worse yet try being from the north during snow plowing season you'll soon understand the meaning of no common sense what so ever being used in the design of a parking lot for a northern tier location that is the same design for "non snow belt" climates.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post
... Between 55% and 60% of the Lowe's and Home Depots listed in my database allow Overnight RV Parking; the remaining 40% to 45% do not...
okay then how about this ... ALL the stores that I have asked at have allowed overnight parking. That make you happy? Let's see... if I had to get even more precise.. Fl, SC, GA, NC & TN are the states I've talked to the Lowes and Home Depots in. As for towns, that's gets a bit more difficult... my memory isn't what it used to be.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #63
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
okay then how about this ... ALL the stores that I have asked at have allowed overnight parking. That make you happy? Let's see... if I had to get even more precise.. Fl, SC, GA, NC & TN are the states I've talked to the Lowes and Home Depots in. As for towns, that's gets a bit more difficult... my memory isn't what it used to be.
I'm not disputing your statement that most (or all) of the Home Depots and Lowe's where you've asked permission to park overnight have granted permission. But even fifty or a hundred stores, out of a total of several thousand, simply isn't a large enough sample to make a statistically valid generalization about either of these chains. Based on such a small sample, an RVer can't reliably expect to be granted permission to park overnight at one of these stores -- UNLESS he/she happens to be at one of the same stores you visited.

On the other hand, if you can list any of the specific Lowe's or Home Depots that did grant you permission to park overnight, and how recently you were there, that information will be extremely useful to any RVer who's traveling in that area and needs an Overnight RV Parking location.
jobriant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:56 AM   #64

Not Difficult.

I simply google the company name, look up phone number , call store in town I want and ask. Tell approx time of arrival, usually later, departure time, usually earlier,Never been turned down.
KEN
Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post
On the other hand, if you can list any of the specific Lowe's or Home Depots that did grant you permission to park overnight, and how recently you were there, that information will be extremely useful to any RVer who's traveling in that area and needs an Overnight RV Parking location.
But I do not use your site at all. I use Allstays to locate potential places. When we stop in I ask. If I was ever told No (and I have not been told no by any store) I would simply ask whether it was a store policy or if it was an ordinance requirement. The rules change so much and many places that have been listed as no parking actually do allow it. My formerly local Semi-Super Wal-Mart in Franklin NC (Holly Springs Shopping Center) allows overnight parking on the edge of the shopping center (fronting the ByPass) between the Wal-lMart section and the Ingles (24 hr Grocery store and the reason why it is only a semi-super wally World) yet it is often listed as no parking because they have put up no parking signs due to the amount of "For Sale By Owner" vehicles that were being left for weeks in the parking lot. So we always ask even if we see "No Parking" signs because they often do not apply to overnight parking. Often it is to stop the for sale folks and sometimes it is because they don't want overnighters in that particular section of the parkinglot (like in New Braunfels TX)

I do know that when we built the misting system for the bus radiator in the parking lot of the Lowe's in Odessa TX last summer (shortly after July 4th) we were told that parking overnight wouldn't be a problem by the ladies in the garden dept (They were a little concerned that we may need to stay overnight... I do have to admit, we were all suffering from heat exhaustion and dehydration due to the high 100+ temps on the interstates). They said folks did it all the time. Then they kindly told us how to get to Roswell via Hobbs so that we could get off the interstates. Hobbs had a CHEAP and very nice public park that I found listed in the Wright's free & cheap campgrounds book. We stopped for the night to dump tanks/refill water and cool off in a long shower.

LOWE'S OF ODESSA, TX

Store Number: 2962
4101 EAST 42ND STREET, STE P
ODESSA, TX 79762
Old 11-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #66

Happy day!

YouTube - Living At Walmart by Pat Pepin

LeMirageQuebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #67

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
But I do not use your site at all. I use Allstays to locate potential places. When we stop in I ask.
Allstays is open to a lot of grief if you do not check with the intended stop over store or check other sources for a more up to date information.
I wrote to Allstays concerning the errors on their Canada page and more than 17 errors. Only 3 of those errors show overnight parking is available when it is not, the rest showing "No Overnight parking" are locations that do allow overnight parking. So it is my honest opinion that Allstays as a reliable source of overnight parking information is a myth.
The following is answer to an email I sent to Allstays informing them of the errors
Quote:
From Allstays Wed 01/09/2010:
Thanks, I appreciate it very much. I can only go by what is told to me and don't really change it until I hear otherwise. I get reports that conflict with each other within days sometimes. Things change quickly. I also believe it is appearance when people ask. One person may can be denied while someone else looks a bit cleaner or has a better rig and is approved.

So these reports help a bunch. I'll get them updated over the next day or two. I get very few reports on Canada parking. Maybe 1-2 a month versus 10 a day in the USA. So these definitely help.

Adam
It is now two and one half months later and the information on their website has not been changed.
I do use jobriant's website and also contribute to it. It is as accurate and up to date as humanly possible especially in these times of change. Only once did I arrive at a store that was indicated as (overnighting allowed) and there was a sign "no overnight parking allowed", however I asked anyway and that store manager assured us that it was OK to overnight as the city By-Law was not enforced. I trust the information on jobriant's website because he takes the time and long distance charges expense to verify all the reports. Anyway it works for me and I can recommend it to any RV'er who is interested in verified overnighting information.

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #68

I use allstays as a location only source. I always ask. It's free... jobriant's isn't. If I'm passing thru, then if I can't stop in one place, I can stop elsewhere. When we travel, I plan 3 stops several miles apart. As for things changing, even jobriant's site is vulnerable to that. He depends on users posting. So does allstays. I don't know how often they update their site. I do know that in the last two days, I have corrected one WM (Los Lunas NM allows parking since a another posted said it didn't) and noted that two in ALBQ allows overnight parking. they are on the list... the Los Lunas one is ## out. I still will ask to stay in a Sam's parking lot since I feel it is safer than the usual Wal-Mart. Besides, jobriant probably would rather I stayed off his site. I don't think he likes me much. :P

To be honest, I have yet to have ANY STORE tell me no. Guess I'm just lucky.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #69

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I don't think he likes me much. :P
Oh! I don't think he'd turn down your subscription if you applied
Hi Lorna
Up here on the frozen tundra OvrNte spots can be scarce so it's best to have your route all planned and expect not to have too many surprises because the next chance for a layover could be many hours away from where you planned to be. If you had to pay long distance charges checking out the OvrNte availability of each stop planned, then jobriant's site does come in a bit cheaper. There are lots of CG's but being a dyed in the wool Walleydocker, I don't do camp grounds (in a dire emergency I would). As a for a OvrNte location source if you ever plan a trip across your Northern border, you'll do a lot better with information from other sources including the WM Atlas book and asking on the forums. Allstays doesn't come close to what is actually available. It would seem Allstays appears to be stuck back in the 1970's much like most of the campgrounds around here.

Oh! if Allstays works for you, I guess that's all you need

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #70

I would love to go to Canada during the summer... that's what... two weeks? :P

We used to watch CBC on the C-Band dish until they went digital. Beautiful country. I would like to see more of my own country before I head up North. As for any pavement parking, seems to me most big parking lots are fair game. Perhaps we just haven't pavement parked long enough, but asking has resulted in our being allowed to park everytime. Like I said, we prefer Sam's Clubs and that is our first choice. I do like their rotisserie chicken and their pizzas. Even in Roswell, we stayed in the Sam's parking lot... adjoining the Wal-Mart. Just like we did in Midland, TX. Allstays also has a listing for Sam's Clubs. Very handy for us since we use Sams for our business.