Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #15

Hello I never said the Vast Majority of Rvers I was referring to the BONEHEADS who are screwing it up for the rest of us ( they know who they are ) I pay my own way & stay in campsites everybody has to eat, only in a emergercy would i stay in a Walmart lot over night or any other store lot. Enough said for me anyways
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
Commercial Member

I wrote:

> > I'll be including those in the Overnight RV Parking database so that RVers who don't
> > want to support RV-Unfriendly businesses will be able to avoid spending any money
> > at these locations.

Gary replied:

> Business ALLOWING RV overnight parking, do so as an added courtesy to their RVing
> customers - it is NOT a "right" for those customers, merely a courtesy by the business
> that to them, ...
>
> We should be grateful and appreciative of the few merchants who DO allow this. ...

I couldn't agree more, although there are far more than "a few" merchants who welcome RVers to park overnight.

> ... Use and appreciate the courtesy provided by the few, in a responsible and judicious
> manner - but attempt to somehow force, coerce or "punish" those who do not?

I don't understand how got the impression that I'm trying to force, coerce or punish anyone.

Over the past 10 years of mre I've read many online forum message by many other Rvers, saying again and again that they don't want to spend their money with businesses or in cities that don't want RVs there. For those who wish to take that approach, that's their decision and none of my concern. As for those who wish to patronize businesses that don't allow Overnight RV Parking, or spend their money in cities that make Overnight RV Parking illegal, that's also their decision and none of my concern.

Read again what I wrote:

> > so that RVers who don't want to support RV-Unfriendly businesses will be able to
> > avoid spending any money at these locations.

I didn't tell anyone what to do or not to do, nor did I tell anyone where to spend or not spend their money. My function in administering my database is to provide information that is ac complete, accurate and current as possible, so that others can make their own decisions based on good information.
jobriant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
... Have you heard much about problems with the folks who park in Sam's Clubs? ... Sam's Club stores have all seemed so happy for us to park there that I suspect they do not have much in the way of problems with the RVers.
There are far fewer Sam's Clubs than there are Walmarts, and I've received reports on a smaller percentage of the Sam's Clubs than I have Walmarts. A smaller percentage of Sam's Clubs allow Overnight RV Parking, and some allow it only for Sam's Club members.

My general impression is that there are fewer issues with RVer behavior at Sam's Clubs that at Walmarts. I think that's a fairly accurate impression. I believe it's partially due to the numbers, and partially due to the comparative amount of media publicity about RVers overnighting at Walmart vs. at Sam's Club.

I'm sure that a detailed analysis could be done, but gathering the data would take years.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Guy View Post
Hello I never said the Vast Majority of Rvers I was referring to the BONEHEADS who are screwing it up for the rest of us...
Sorry, Diesel Guy. I misinterpreted what you wrote. I think we agree that the "boneheads" as you call them are a small percentage of RVers.

And you're right -- the actions of a few are contributing to the erosion of a valuable privilege for the many. They're not the only cause, but they're one cause.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:52 AM   #19

Hello thankyou Jobriant I get ticked off at rude RVs that make it bad for all the good one who pick up after our pets & don't over stay there stay at Store lots . I do park in Walmart , HomeDeport etc as come into the States from Canada empty I shop for food hardware goods & lots of other things I spend my money in the states, I park there just for the time it takes to buy my goods & then move on I stay in over nite campsites I do the same as I travel though Canada as well.I don;t like Black top camping .Thats my story and I am sticking to it .
Old 08-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post
There are two Walmart stores on Prince Edward Island: Store # 3162 in Charlottetown, PE and Store# 3644, Summerside, PE. In both cases, Walmart leases the lot (and perhaps the building) from First Pro Property Management of Vaughan, ON.

Effective this month (August 2010), First Pro is erecting "No Overnight RV Parking" signage in the parking lots of both of these stores. This morning I've spoken with the managers of both stores, and both stated that First Pro has changed their Overnight RV Parking policy due to abuse by RVers.
~~~ Snip~~~~
This is a very bad omen! the worst of news. "First Pro Property Management" manages (or owns) Smart Center parking lots in all ten Provinces. These lots may join or be close to other lots not controlled by them as in Halifax NS where WM is adjacent to a Smart Center but not included in it.

This page just about says it all SmartCentres
and guess who's the spokesman is

The company is currently managing and developing over 200 SmartCentres. Now know what those darn penguin signs mean. Guess I'll have to find some new overnighting spots for my trips
To be noted the USA partner is Honor Roll but be darned if I can find anything on it.

nothing to be cheery about tonight
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
We drive by Wallmart almost dayly; We have used Wallmart from time to time. We never put our slides out or drop the jacks, It is for a overnight stop only, Some of the Things I have seen there by overnighters Have been Desgusting RVers pullin with a car Total length 60' Put out as many as 4 slids Near to 14' wide that takes up 8 to 10 car parking spaces. Then the boneheads With no brains at all brop there Jacks . if it is a hot day the jacks will leave an indentation in the blacktop, some are ruining it for all of us.Wallmart is such a wonderfull place to make a quick evening stop and stock up of food. It's hard to believe there are some $%@^%$& out there that will not respect that, And IT's not ment to be a extented stay place,
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #22

Hi All, The observation about " parking in a circle " is very interesting. the very first time we searched for a place to stay overnite we were in the North Eastern US and no campground could be found. It was about 8:00 we passed a Mall parking lot and observed a group of about 8-9 MHs and Trailers parked together in a circle. In what can only be described as a circle of wagons chairs out, beverages and music on. Assuming this was accepted in this area we found a spot nearby and planned to stay for the night in our GMC MH. This was back in 1987.
We were awakened at 11:00 by the local Police or Security and asked to leave.
Since then we have found Walmarts, K-Marts Sams Club and other RV friendly locations and we have observed groups of MHs in Caravans traveling together or all just meeting up and parking together in circles. They now extend slides, levelers down, put the chairs out and turn on the music and enjoy the Drinks (looks like wine). It is almost as if some organization is planning a organized Rendezvous. This seems to be very common in the Eastern Corridor
Over the years we have chatted with other overniters mostly on our way into the Walmart, but our goal has been to park-sleep-and be on our way at the first dawn light, not to party.
I just hope this is not one of the reasons that the Walmart etc parking privilege is coming to an end.
Robert
Old 08-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've noticed that the new Walmart stores are eliminating RV by egress and parking design. They are almost impossible to bring in a large RV and have little suitable space to park if you do manage it. I have not used Walmarts for overnighting. I have stopped in several while on the road to buy supplies and find the new parking lot designs a no go for that purpose. They lose my business there. I find their new parking lots a PITA in my pick-up, which admittedly has a turning radius of an aircraft carrier.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #24
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
I've noticed that the new Walmart stores are eliminating RV by egress and parking design. They are almost impossible to bring in a large RV and have little suitable space to park if you do manage it. I have not used Walmarts for overnighting. I have stopped in several while on the road to buy supplies and find the new parking lot designs a no go for that purpose. They lose my business there. I find their new parking lots a PITA in my pick-up, which admittedly has a turning radius of an aircraft carrier.
I agree.

The traffic islands make it difficult if not impossible to navigate.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #25

If the new traffic islands make it difficult or impossible for you to pull in with your RV and shop then you should contact the company and tell them. You also need to tell them that because of the difficulty, you had to shop elsewhere... including what you spent elsewhere would be a nice touch.

Why would you shop someplace that made it difficult for you to get in/out?
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I agree.

The traffic islands make it difficult if not impossible to navigate.
Now I understand. During our trip last year, many of the newer Walmarts located in sort of super centers, had those grassy islands. I thought they looked rather neat the way they separated each stores parking from the others. I can see now they have a much different purpose than beautifying the lots and marking the boundary (they are kind of a neat place to take the dog to dump a load though).
Cutting to the chase I noticed there was a goodly number of RV's including A's and Fivers at stores where these islands didn't exist, but at stores where the islands existed there seemed to be only "B's" and small "C's". Now I know why, just not worth the effort trying to park.
I kind of wonder if the islands aren't directed towards the large long haul transports, now that they have limited driving time before a compulsory rest stop.
When they park at the stores they seem to line up parallel to lane ways for the (entrance/exits) taking up a lot of parking spaces. I've seen a few large "A's" with tows do the same, but for the most part by far most RV'ers were considerate by parking on the lot perimeters away from the stores.
I've never seen sights like Circle the RV's, BBQ's
We don't see as many incidents of (uninformed of overnight parking lot etiquette) RV'ers as you do South of the border, but per ca-pita it's most likely quite equal as I have witnessed some myself.

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Jim another Walmart thread?
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
It's hard to believe there are some $%@^%$& out there
Yes we do exist. Feel free to vent on me.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote