Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My idea of a good boondocking site

This is my view of the desert near Quartzsite. We parked here in mid November, put up a 10’x20’ windbreak/dog yard and have enjoyed warm sunshine almost everyday.

Soon we'll break camp and do a slow roll north. Next stop - the Prescott National Forest near Cottonwood, AZ. I'm waiting for Cottonwood to get a bit warmer.

I just don’t understand why so many RVers pay so much $ to stay where there are other RVs just 15' away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	697AEE03-49E8-4459-83BC-53247816A706.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	195388  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #2

I'm like you, but there's more to your concern than you might think...

married? does your spouse 'espouse' to off-gridding as much as you do?

is everyone's rig ready for long-term off-gridding?

do you have a sewer?

do you have a LOT of solar?

do you carry a LOT of fuel for the generator?

are you really comfortable dry-camping, or are you just more 'comfortable' than most of us when you're off-grid?

do you have a campfire with marshmellows and "kumbaya" every night?

Are you a social creature? (I think I know this one!)
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mister T,

I know boondocking is not for everyone, but I REALLY enjoy the peace and quiet. And you can’t beat the price! I don’t feel as if I'm depriving myself of anything with my lifestyle.

I've been single again since 1977. I learned that I enjoy not having to discuss every minor decision as my Ex wanted to do. I'm a bit of a hermit but have many friends in the real and virtual world. I spend May-October parked in my daughter's back yard near Seattle.

This RV has evolved into a great off-grid home. With careful planning, 372 watts of solar, LED lights, 12 volt TV, a cheap unlimited everything cellphone plan, dump cart, extra water pump, Extend-a-Stay, propane catalytic heater and a few other editions I can park for months at a time. I enjoy coming up with low tech, low cost solutions to make life out here easier, cheaper and more fun. My next project is making a solar water heater for about $50.

I'm not fond of marshmallows but I do attend campfires about once a week with like minded friends here. Kumbaya hasn't been on the agenda, yet.

Here's how I get waste water to the dump. My car is too small to take much weight so I bought a hand truck to haul the barrel to the dump. Sitting on top is the auxiliary pump I use to get fresh water into my holding tank from a neighbor's water bladder. He uses my dump barrel in return.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9042B9DD-2430-4819-A27B-65F264FF1FA5.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	623.7 KB
ID:	195392  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-13-2018, 03:56 AM   #4

15' away, a lot of the parking lot cgs are closer than that
UGH

Love your wind break!
I know you can tackle your solar project and do a great job

We are the same. Quiet, solitude, that knowing you can survive without everyday pay for services and enjoy life on your own terms.
Not for everyone which is why it is great so many are crowded in like sardines and not out in the nature! More room for those who do not want crowds and the stepford wife camping norm out there!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:09 AM   #5

Just a few answers as we see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
I'm like you, but there's more to your concern than you might think...what concerns? who's concerns? not ours or probably any other boondocker

this is just a personal situation one must handle between themselves
Rigs are self contained but long term off gridding? That is where the person must step up and do what they desire for the type of location/camping they desire and make personal changes that suit them
do you have a sewer?
boondockers don't need no stinking sewer that is handled when it needs to be handled.
personal needs again
personal needs again as in camping location can make no genny truly needed, gennys are mostly run on a as need basis for us.
are you really comfortable dry-camping, or are you just more 'comfortable' than most of us when you're off-grid?It is what people desire/want/enjoy or one would not be doing it

who does this every night?
Hubby and I are very social when we chat with others and are out and about. We don't shrink and hide from life. We enjoy the solitude etc when we want it, enjoy being out there in the world and participate in it a lot. It is not like you are canceling your life just cause you want to camp by yourself, in peace and quiet and relax thru this rat race crazy high speed world and get off the hamster wheel.

It truly is not for everyone....but those who enjoy, absolutely ENJOY and will make it work for them and their personal style.
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
I'm like you, but there's more to your concern than you might think...

MOST DEFINITELY!!!

TWO WEEKS AND WE WERE ALWAYS READY TO MOVE ON TO ANOTHER AWESOME SPOT

do you have a sewer?

DON'T NEED ONE. THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO CONSERVE & THEN MOVE WHEN YOU NEED TO DUMP.

300w - plenty

Never needed extra - used generator very little with solar

are you really comfortable dry-camping, or are you just more 'comfortable' than most of us when you're off-grid?

We get claustrophobic in RV parks. Yes, real comfy boondocking.

Definitely could if we wanted to do so.

Yes, under the right circumstances but we thoroughly enjoy peaceful surroundings.
Boondocking isn't for everyone, thank goodness, or it would be crowded out there.
(Sorry, for 'shouting' at first.....didn't realize the Caps were on)
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #7

OKMUNKY, I had a feeling that your first answer would be very exposing of your lifestyle... you and I could be buddies in the off-grid world, but as 1/2 of a pair, I don't get to always decide what or how we do... but sometimes I sneak it in, anyway!

Sounds like you and I have some same thoughts when it comes to being to 'ones self' more than the 'social' aspect of rv parks and campgrounds. I was a little facetious(big word I had to look up the spelling for!) with all the questions, wanting to expose the fact that many of us might do things 'differently' if it was only up to 'me'.

I like it... I'm comin' out to join you!.... oh, wait, you might not want neighbors...I'll park out of sight : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #8

Very good life you have there but not sure I could do it full time, for sure a few weeks or months.
I just left Pismo Coast Village on the Calif coast. I go couple times a year and it is a really nice, clean and organized place, also a bit $$. I found this time I was almost out numbered by the number of dogs people had. Many had 2 and a few had 3. In the morning it was like a zoo as they all had to go for a walk. Later many get tied up by their rigs.
I am for sure going off grid for next big trip as much as I can.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I like it... I'm comin' out to join you!.... oh, wait, you might not want neighbors...I'll park out of sight : )
Come on! There's plenty of space out here. But wait! I'm leaving here in about 10 days headed to Cottonwood, AZ. It's getting hot here.

We could make a date for next winter. I'll be back in November. You do know I'm on BLM land near Quartzsite, AZ, right? I like to park all winter and not have to move every 2 weeks. The long term visitor areas work for me. Earlier in the year I had some closer neighbors, but most of them are die hard boondockers.

There are 2 weeks in January when some of the less dedicated arrive for the giant RV show. I get here early and stake out my claim. In La Posa South you can outline your "comfort zone" with rocks. I have about an acre here but I did invite some friends to join us part of the time. Once the crowds leave everything quiets down again. They make me appreciate what I've got. I hear all the RV parks in town are packed then. What a nightmare that must be!

For $180 you can buy a seasonal pass here. In addition to the space, I have access to the dumpsters, dump station and fresh water. It sure beats the prices in town for the same services. For me that works out to be about $40/month, but you could stay here year round for the same price. Not many can handle the summer heat, tho.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Outline with rocks but if someone wants to park where you are 15' is all your good for, that is 15' from your RV.

LEN
Old 03-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The rock boundaries seem to be well respected out here. There is so much land here and the views are all so similar, there's no reason to be close. I'm told that the rangers will support your right to have at least 50’ on all sides if someone tries to intrude.

Maybe one of the best parts about being out here is that most folks are retired, friendly and helpful. Rarely do I even hear music. This generation of people learned respect when they were kids.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #12

Oh, I want to play...

Quote:
married? does your spouse 'espouse' to off-gridding as much as you do? Maybe more! We both love it.

is everyone's rig ready for long-term off-gridding? Yes! or most of them. If you have batteries, a way to charge them, fresh water and holding tanks, you're ready. It's not that hard.

do you have a sewer? We have a black tank. Takes weeks to fill it.

do you have a LOT of solar? 300 watts. We run the gennie about three hours a day...with a residential fridge!

do you carry a LOT of fuel for the generator? Ours is built in and shares our gas tank. Uses about a half gallon an hour. Portables use a lot less.

are you really comfortable dry-camping, or are you just more 'comfortable' than most of us when you're off-grid? Other than showering every other day, yes! We surf the web, watch TV, sit outside, cook like at home, sleep in our king size bed, etc. And while we love our long, hot showers, skipping a day or two and opting for a sponge bath isn't the end of the world.

do you have a campfire with marshmellows and "kumbaya" every night? We have when camped with friends. Didn't have marshmallows and we didn't sing but it was fun.

Are you a social creature? (I think I know this one!) We aren't especially social. Don't need to be. It's not burning man. You're rig is parked maybe a few hundred yards from other rigs. You can be as alone as you want or wander around making new friends. Up to you.
Boondocking isn't as tough as people make it out to be. If you've got a self-contained rig, you can easily do it. The hardest part is recharging batteries and that might take an investment in a generator and/or solar. Other than that, it's not a whole lot different than staying in an RV park.

And we find it funny when people show up at a boondocking spot, see rigs parked 100 feet from one another and declare it "crowded." Then they head off to an RV park where everyone is 10 feet from one another.

And we've never been parked closer than about 100 yards in our short boondocking life, save by choice. Never heard a generator louder than a whisper in the distance. Never felt deprived or like we were roughing it. Never felt unsafe or threatened. And for the solitude, peace & quiet, not to mention the price, any small inconveniences or sacrifices are more than worth it.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:59 PM   #13

okmunky, I'm with you! I'm as sociable as a guy comes, but it's the RV parks, or even dry Forest Service or BLM campgrounds where I feel uncomfortable. I don't camp to socialize, I camp to get out into nature. I don't want to hear or even see neighbors. I don't park, I camp.

Great post!
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #14

I have only camped off-grid. I enjoy astronomy and don't want light pollution from close neighbors.

Solar makes power independence easy.
astrocamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking