Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
National Forest camping, for free.

I just got back from eight days camping in the Oconee National Forest in mid-eastern Georgia. I heard a rumor that you could camp in the forest completely free. Nothing is free. Nothing. So I called.

"Oh yes, if you go to an undeveloped campground, or anywhere you can find to camp really, it's no cost at all."

This turned into a visit to my local ranger district office where I got high quality maps of both national forests in the state, the Oconee being fairly close to me.

I went and scouted the undeveloped campgrounds out and settled on one called Tyler. It's a cleared out area of the forest, large trees were left with the brush cleared out and they keep the area mown. Quite pretty actually.

So Tuesday of last week I towed bub down there. Remember, this is a 38' fifth wheel. I had to sneak through the trees, but enough of a path was cut that I made it in easily enough. I set up and camped. For eight days.

And didn't see a soul. No kidding. Not even a ranger came by, no other campers, nothing. It was peaceful, quiet, undisturbed and in the trees.

Here's what you do. Look up the national forest offices for your area, go by and purchase the maps for the area of interest. They're good quality maps with good information and they're $10 each. Visit with the office folks, they gave me great advice about where to and not to go.

Now understand, there's no office, no host, nobody around. You're on your own. The closest ranger office was 30 miles away, so it's all you.

Then, go camp. Leave it as good or better than you found it, and pay nothing. I live 40 miles from where I camped, you can bet your bippy that I'll be going over there once or twice a month next year.

Last week cost me $25 in gasoline for my generator and about $30 in diesel to haul it there and back, so for $55 I went camping for a week, that is a personal record for me. Use this, it's a great program that the National Forest Service is giving us. It's not openly advertised because they don't want it flooded with people but I think here will be ok.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nice!! Got any pics?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRasco View Post
Nice!! Got any pics?
Just one actually. Somewhat embarrassing for a photographer to say, but between the real job and the amount of photographic work I'm doing I just didn't feel like picking up the camera. But I got an iPhone pano, so that's my 5er at both ends of the image. The road in is actually to the left. That road to the right went back into a small area for some reason.

I also forgot to mention, the dirt roads are in great condition for the most part. Where I went was very nice, some of the places I scouted were in good shape, but on uneven terrain.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #4

sknight

This is our normal mode of life: BLM/Forest Service/Bureau of Reclaimation "dispersed camping". It is a lot easier in the west with so much federal land. We have been out two weeks and seen only the rancher driving by.

We generally scout in our pickup before we go in on dirt roads (might not be able to turn around). Othertimes, I just pull off my mountain bike and peddle in. Did this in Yucatan three years ago and spent a week at Laguna Azul on Lago Bacalar. We have to return there.

The group Escapees (I believe the largest RV club in US) has a lot of information at their website on boondocking as does RV.net.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #5

Shhhhh, don't tell too many people about the wonderful places you'll discover!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I just got back from eight days camping in the Oconee National Forest in mid-eastern Georgia. I heard a rumor that you could camp in the forest completely free. Nothing is free. Nothing. So I called.

"Oh yes, if you go to an undeveloped campground, or anywhere you can find to camp really, it's no cost at all."

This turned into a visit to my local ranger district office where I got high quality maps of both national forests in the state, the Oconee being fairly close to me.

I went and scouted the undeveloped campgrounds out and settled on one called Tyler. It's a cleared out area of the forest, large trees were left with the brush cleared out and they keep the area mown. Quite pretty actually.

So Tuesday of last week I towed bub down there. Remember, this is a 38' fifth wheel. I had to sneak through the trees, but enough of a path was cut that I made it in easily enough. I set up and camped. For eight days.

And didn't see a soul. No kidding. Not even a ranger came by, no other campers, nothing. It was peaceful, quiet, undisturbed and in the trees.

Here's what you do. Look up the national forest offices for your area, go by and purchase the maps for the area of interest. They're good quality maps with good information and they're $10 each. Visit with the office folks, they gave me great advice about where to and not to go.

Now understand, there's no office, no host, nobody around. You're on your own. The closest ranger office was 30 miles away, so it's all you.

Then, go camp. Leave it as good or better than you found it, and pay nothing. I live 40 miles from where I camped, you can bet your bippy that I'll be going over there once or twice a month next year.

Last week cost me $25 in gasoline for my generator and about $30 in diesel to haul it there and back, so for $55 I went camping for a week, that is a personal record for me. Use this, it's a great program that the National Forest Service is giving us. It's not openly advertised because they don't want it flooded with people but I think here will be ok.
DumOleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumOleBob View Post
Shhhhh, don't tell too many people about the wonderful places you'll discover!!!
Haha, that's why this is the only place I shared this info. Our little secret!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We won't tell!
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #8

Not terribly worried about many folks going into real boondocking, they are just to worried about intangibles. There are a few places that our friends have let us know that we shall be sent to Coventry if we pass out information.

Reed and Elaine
Old 12-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #9

Due to new requirements for the administration of roads in National Forests each forest has produced or will produce Motor Vehicle Use Maps. Most forests will show dispersed camping areas on these maps.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #10

Jackfish

Thanks for the information regarding dispersed camping on Forest Service maps.

Reed and Elaine
Old 12-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Due to new requirements for the administration of roads in National Forests each forest has produced or will produce Motor Vehicle Use Maps. Most forests will show dispersed camping areas on these maps.
That's exactly what I got in my maps. Actually, the maps are awesome. They show campgrounds, dispersed non improved and those with hookups, forestry service roads you can take off road vehicles on, hiking trails, horse trails, shooting ranges, boat ramps, fishing areas, just on and on.

These maps are good quality on great paper, well marked with not only forest roads but regular highway and residential roads that are in the area.

I highly recommended picking one up, they're far more useful than just camping locations.

I had no idea how much was to be had over there.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #12

I wish we had as many places to camp on BLM land here in the NE! Any people in the N.E. do any boon docking up here? I'd like to find some people!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
In Florida, the maps are available to be downloaded on pdf.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
In the research I've been doing, it varies from state to state. I personally like the paper maps myself but a PDF option would be nice. In Ga you can get a PDF, but it's very rudimentary especially compared to the paper map.

I'm already loosely planning my getaway weekends for this year. I can't wait.

Tags
camping, national