Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

national park

going to acadia in main with our 36 foot motorhome we thought our granddaughter would like the nature We mostly go to parks with hookup but for a week this year we will not havehookup for a week can run the gen during the day so charging the batterys will be done during the day we do not care about tv. we have a house battery and a engine battery thinking of taking a spare battery will fit in were the house battery is just in case I can jump if need be I will not get a large battery just one that can jumpstart if need be

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

Sounds like a nice trip. We plan to do more dry camping this summer as well...safe trip and enjoy your time with the granddaughter. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your starting battery shouldn't be affected by your camping, so there is no need to worry about jump starting. If you get another battery, get a deep cycle battery and parallel it with the existing "House Battery"
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #4

If you can run the gen during the day to recharge the house batts why bother buying another batt? If your rig doesn't have a good built charger then buy a stand-alone charger at Sears and use it once every few days.

Five days in a rig like yours with no plug in shouldn't be any problem.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
ok how does one find places to boondock? this is my first time trying it . right now I'm in las vegasnv. heading north to Utah.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #6

In Utah you'll probably be in BLM land. Generally you can just pull off where you like - UNLESS there are NO CAMPING signs, of which there are very few. In general all BLM lands are open to what they call "dispersed camping". Ck out the various BLM Internet sites and you'll find a lot of info!

DOI: BLM: Utah Home Page
Old 03-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #7

Jim,

Ditto to your other replies. As long as you can run your genset during the day you should have no problems with the batteries. If you have a built in volt meter just make sure that they stay in the mid 12 VDC range and you will be ok. We have boondocked for up to two weeks with no problems.

Also, concerning the 'backup' battery. Do you have an 'AUX Start' switch or something similiar up in the cockpit? This will tie the house and chassis batteries together briefly allowing you to start something on the weak side.

Bob
Old 03-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #8

JIM Q check with Acadia. We thought about going there last summer When I called they told me my 36 ' Tradewinds was too tall to go under the tree branches.

I just googled Acadia and the height limit is 11'8 at both Blackwoods and Seawall.Not sure how high you are but I am at
12'6
Old 03-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I second bidrbob..in new england the state parks and national parks are older and for the most part not update, read small sites and low hanging trees..always double check..You might try Lamoine State Park...it is not to far from Bar Harbor on the end of a peninsula so views are nice...check for space but I believe you will fit..
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #10

In 2008 we stayed at seawall with 33ft Excel that is 12 ft high and had no problem and even close.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryegal View Post
ok how does one find places to boondock? this is my first time trying it . right now I'm in las vegasnv. heading north to Utah.
You're sure you want to try that,Donna???? Have fun as there are lot's of places to do it in Utah.If you're going to Bryce and Capital Reef NP's,they don't have h/u,but have really nice cgs. The one at Capital Reef is Fruita and there are apple orchards and lots of deer.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #12

I only went by what the ranger told me last year and their website.I'm sure some sites are accessible if you are careful.Just wanted to make Jim Q aware so he could have a plan B Last time we stayed in Acadia was with a popup in 1980.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #13

For sure have a plan B our MH is 11 ft 8 and possible little higher with tv sat dome and air cond units see how it looks if just little branches might be ok but tunnels might be another story but we do have a plan if this dose not pan out
Old 03-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
Hi Bigdog, and all others for the information. I'm in Vegas now leaving for Lake Powell on Friday. I will be carefull. I would like to find a place with other campers. I took a month off from work to do this trip alone and see how I do. we will see. bigdog Marla & Bob Elizabeth,Karen and I are all meeting in proccer wa. for spring barrel tasting on 4-15-4-17. we will be at wine country rv park you should come as we know you enjoy a good glass of wine.