Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #15

I use a 300 amp power box, runs the machine all night, charge it the next day either with 12v or 110v.
dodgelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #16

Not that I am cheap, but bought the Honda 2000EU generator. Costs us a gallon for 13 hours, is quiet, sits in back of Pickup AND still have 120 volts for everything else. But, going to check in the AM if my $40 Radio Shack inverter that we use for our broadband internet service while on the road will supply enuf for my CPAP. Curious if my humidifier will work?)) Great thread and posts. THX
IOWASTROKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWASTROKER View Post
Not that I am cheap, but bought the Honda 2000EU generator. Costs us a gallon for 13 hours, is quiet, sits in back of Pickup AND still have 120 volts for everything else. But, going to check in the AM if my $40 Radio Shack inverter that we use for our broadband internet service while on the road will supply enuf for my CPAP. Curious if my humidifier will work?)) Great thread and posts. THX
the humidifier is a big ???. how many watts is your r c inverter?
check this resource for inverter- wire- load info.

Electrical Tutorial
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been running my CPAP's off the MSW inverters for many years. In fact my second CPAP went 17 years between the stick house and MH's. On my third CPAP now and run it off the 2000W MSW inverter also. No problems ever. I DON'T run the humidifier off the MSW inverter though as it specifically says it must have their adapter/inverter and I won't buy it. In fact I asked the CPAP dealer about it and they said they never sell the manufacturers adapter/inverter, they have a cheaper aftermarket one they sell.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In some of the places I hang my electrons this is a major issue.

Recommendations: FIRST: See if your machine can be feed 12 volts, Many of the basic units have this option (If you do not use a heater or humidifier) If you do use a heater or humidifier you may not have this option.

Second. I like to advise folks to go with a true Sine Wave inverter, More exepnsive but many electronic devices prefer them.. however in this case.. It will again depend on just how basic yours is.. Most of the CPAP units I know of use a wall wart type power supply and most of those are very forgiving of the inverter type.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #20

Most of the newer CPAP machines I have seen will run directly off of 12VDC, just need a power cord. Find a good electronic technician to make you one. klDW & I both use CPAP & BiPAP machines and I would make 12 VDC cords for them if we boon docked but we normally stay with hookups.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #21

get this cpap battery pack/inverter combo. works great. CPAP Battery Pack / External Power Supply / External Battery Power / Travel CPAP Battery / Travel Power Supply / Super Power Pack / CPAP Machine / BIPAP Machine I have the C222 pack. will run the CPAP for about 4 nights. you can recharge it from 12V (car) or 110V. no need to worry about your house battery. And in my case I was able to use my medical flexible spending account to purchase it so it was pre tax $$.
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is another CPAP user. I have had three different machines (and three copies of the middle one) over the years. All have had a port that took 12 V. Mfg wanted $$$ for their cord. I went to Rad Shak and pieced together the plug, cord and tip I needed. works like a charm. Still have battery in the AM even in cold weather with the furnace fan burning through the amps.

I did destroy the middle machine three times, kept replacing it because it was very small and very quiet. The failure was in the 12 v connector. If I got the tip in the least bit cross ways while making the connection it would short and blow the board before the fuse could react. I learned to disconnect the cord from the power point before disconnecting from the machine and vice versa. The last one went when I inadvertently left the machine plugged in while underway and the jostling of a rough road caused the tip to back out far enough to short. the connector on my current machine is different and I made it to Alaska and back with no problem. Still using the Rad Shak cord, but with a different tip. I could not get the Mfg cord and they wanted $25 for a 12v cord with cig lighter plug and power tip, fused.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the REMstarPro M series. It is designed for 12v at 4.18 amps. So any AC plug I plug in has to convert down to 12v and be capable of at least 4.18 amps.

Any 12v plug provided 12v that will fit into the power connector of my unit can be used. I would further protect it with a 5 amp in-line fuse.

It should be an easy thing to go from AC to DC and back. It's definitely not rocket science.

Any concern I would have is maintaining the 12v battery to provide 4.18 amps. How many amp hours would one need from a battery system assuming 4.5 amp draw?

Just an exercise for mathematical portion of the brain.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Most of the CPAP manufacturers offer inverters that plug into your cigarette lighter...they're relatively inexpensive.
Popsicklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsicklez View Post
Most of the CPAP manufacturers offer inverters that plug into your cigarette lighter...they're relatively inexpensive.
Of the ones I've seen it is not an inverter. The unit operates on 12V DC and the power supply/brick converts 120VAC to 12VDC. The 12VDC in bypasses the AC power supply. Of course there may be further refinement of the power inside the unit.

My unit will not run the humidifier on 12VDC, but this is no loss to me as I have never used a humidifier is the 14 years I have been on CPAP. The draw would be too great for my battery bank in any event.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #26

cpap.com has 12v adapters for most cpap machines.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #27

iRV2 No Limits Club
I do NOT like cigarette lighter type plugs/sockets. I have replaced all of mine using Anderson Power Poles very reliable.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #28

I have never found 5amps to be a problem for the power plug type sockets.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter