Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
a lot of people "recycle" the grey water for irrigation and have plumbed their homes as such. I have dumped my grey in my grass several times with no problems.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #30

When beach camping and surfing we take a lot of showers. The kids shower outside to get the salt off. I prefer to shower inside where I can get ALL the salt and sand off. That grey water also ends up outside. The CG has porta pottys so lots of clean water is desirable. The camp spots are 45 ft long and end to end down the beach so it is a bear to pull out with a 42 ft 5r and go get water. I can take the TV only and get more water.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #31

you asked about adding fresh water to your rig. have you thought about recycling you grey water (filtered) to flush your toilet? this would extend your fresh water usage.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
You are right on with the drums, I use two 55 gallon drums to replenish my fresh water, but I'm parked out in the desert for many months at a time, and a transfer pump is easy to attain.

A drum is how thousands of people replenish their water when parked at Quartzsite.

Ed
Where do you carry those drums when you're not using them? I've used a water bladder purchased at camping world for about $80. for the last 7 years. It carries 45+ gallons and easily folds into a pouch about 10" x 14" and about 2 inches high when not in use. Harbor Freight sells a marine pump (12v) for about $40 and is easy to hook up to the bladder. There's no way I would want to be bothered by carrying around 55 gallon plastic drums. See link below.

Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - New World Mfg CW1605 - Fresh Water Tanks - Camping World
Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #33

Staying clean is important so I use baby wipes to help off set water usage. They really do help. If my hands get dirty I use a baby wipe an zero water. Also if I get sweaty I can use baby wipes to sponge bath. I will use the outside shower as much as the inside shower.

Since I started using baby wipes I reduced water usage 30%.

Got the idea from backpackers.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #34

Anyone using those CW water bladders ever have an algae problem? I've always wondered what happens when you pump the water into your RV, then seal up the bladder for storage. I can just imagine the petri dish setting with trapped heat and moisture.......

If it is a non-issue, that would be great.

Anyone?

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
One problem with carrying extra water is what to do with the containers!

We boondock about 80% of the time and find that when we do need water, the water bladder from CW is very convenient with a 12v pump.

Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - New World CW1605 - Fresh Water Tanks - Camping World

When done, this water bladder folds up real small and hardly uses any space.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #36

So, no mold between usages?

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger View Post
So, no mold between usages?

Roy
Once a year, I sanitize with bleach.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #38

We "camp" at our cabin a lot of the time. But we have no running water. We do have an out house. One of the biggest water savers is our porta potty. Very little water is used as compared to the MH toilet. I also use a sink sprayer for our shower. We have a 40 gallon tank and carry 3, 5 gallon jugs. I also have a dozen or so 1 gallon " bladders that I put in various places to equalize the loading in the motorhome. One other item we have on our faucets is this http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-2-5-GPM-Instant-Off-Energy-Saving-Aerator-D00036154/202251659#.UfWrUNKsiSo
When you turn on the water nothing will come out till you push the stem over. It's a great water saver.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #39

We have used the 45 gallon bladder for ten years or more. Works great. Had two 15 gallon jugs and they took up way too much space. The bladder stores in a shoe box, in the basement and we have no algae problem, as it does not let any sun light in. I just hook up the bladder to the inlet side of the water pump and transfer.

And... with two adults and four kids to go 3 to 4 days, lack of conservation is not the problem. Also, most BLM and Forests service dispersed camping suggest that you disperse the gray water. I spread my out over a large area. I don't camp near other campers.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbiker1096 View Post
Hey now that's a great idea! I'm going to upgrading my TV soon. I'm shooting for a 4door 1ton srw. But I'll keep it in mind :-)
Ya, this is probably 1st order of business....I would not modify your trailer to carry hundreds of lbs of fresh or waste water. Get the 1 ton long bed truck and the bladder or 2 55 Gal Drums for water (the blue ones) - you can make a lay down cradle for them - could even go dually truck for the weight. Keep tabs on the black water tank. This may sound funny, but RVing with guys at the races (5 Indy 500's) and one of the rules is no peeing in the RV toilet. At the dirt bike races we attend, it is common for trailers to release their gray water in the farm fields - usually via the slow hose approach vs the dump fast approach. Of course, you don't what to have to haul all the weight, so need to figure out how to get water close to your camping spot - I would bring a 12 volt transfer pump - can run it off your truck to pump in water to the tanks from a spring! From back of truck you can usually just gravity feed the trailer.

Let us know your solution.

Tags
water