Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #1

Need New Converter/Charger

I upgraded to four 6V batteries. Now, with 440 Amp-hour capacity, the little 45 Amp charger takes entirely too long to charge them. I am thinking that I should put in a 80 or 100 amp charger.

Progressive Dynamics is the brand that I see mentioned most frequently. The Powermax PM4 series are also 4 stage chargers with similar characteristics and are significantly less expensive. Does anybody know anything about them? Are there other brands worth considering? Other than Amazon or ebay, who carries a decent selection of them?

I haven't checked yet, but I suspect that I will also need to increase the size of the wires to the batteries. The charger is located under the frig, almost directly over the axles. The batteries are in the front bay. If I do need heavier wire, running it will become a tough job.

Am I overlooking anything?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
I upgraded to four 6V batteries. Now, with 440 Amp-hour capacity, the little 45 Amp charger takes entirely too long to charge them. I am thinking that I should put in a 80 or 100 amp charger.

Progressive Dynamics is the brand that I see mentioned most frequently. The Powermax PM4 series are also 4 stage chargers with similar characteristics and are significantly less expensive. Does anybody know anything about them? Are there other brands worth considering? Other than Amazon or ebay, who carries a decent selection of them?

I haven't checked yet, but I suspect that I will also need to increase the size of the wires to the batteries. The charger is located under the frig, almost directly over the axles. The batteries are in the front bay. If I do need heavier wire, running it will become a tough job.

Am I overlooking anything?

Joel
Check with Randy at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics. He can answer all of your questions and help you decide on the best system for your needs.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #3

If you also need an inverter, the Magnum MS2000 has a nice 100 amp charger.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on what you have currently you will probably have to upgrade. If you have 6 awg now, you could run another 6 awg in parallel for both the positive and negative.

An 80 amp or higher will require a 20 amp AC circuit.

Iota is another good brand.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pogressive is made (Well assembled) in the USA (Alas, some of the parts are no longer made in the USA) I know a bit about the company and they are very high quality.. I trust them and in fact have a 9180 with optional wizard, in my coach (Thank you Damon). I have yet to find one better.

yes there are less expensive ones made in China... But given all the issues we have had with "Made in China" Products.. do you want to risk it?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #6

Another option is mount a stand alone converter as near the batteries as possible and turn off the old one. It's better to run AC over a distance than DC. You might have AC near by in the front bay you could splice an outlet into.

-Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
I upgraded to four 6V batteries. Now, with 440 Amp-hour capacity, the little 45 Amp charger takes entirely too long to charge them.
Joel
10% of 440ah is 44 amps. You have all the amps you need, you probably are lacking in voltage. Most true deep cycle flooded lead acid batteries configured for a 12 volt system want 14.8 volts at 77 degrees Fahrenheit to properly charge. The 14.8 volts is more important than the amps. The only battery charger out there that will properly charge your batteries is an inverter/charger with temperature compensated voltage or a quality solar controller again with temperature compensated voltage. There may be a dedicated stand alone three stage battery charger with temperature compensated voltage and an equalize function but for the price might as well get the inverter/charger.

-Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with everything Jeff said. The IOTA DL series converter chargers come closest to what is needed with the dual voltage jack. With a jumper plug in the jack it charges at 14.2 volts.

IOTA DLS55 Overview
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback from everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Another option is mount a stand alone converter as near the batteries as possible and turn off the old one. It's better to run AC over a distance than DC. You might have AC near by in the front bay you could splice an outlet into.

-Jeff
I do think that this would be the easiest way to go. Also, it can never hurt to have a spare that can just be switched on.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:16 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
10% of 440ah is 44 amps. You have all the amps you need, you probably are lacking in voltage. Most true deep cycle flooded lead acid batteries configured for a 12 volt system want 14.8 volts at 77 degrees Fahrenheit to properly charge. The 14.8 volts is more important than the amps. The only battery charger out there that will properly charge your batteries is an inverter/charger with temperature compensated voltage or a quality solar controller again with temperature compensated voltage. There may be a dedicated stand alone three stage battery charger with temperature compensated voltage and an equalize function but for the price might as well get the inverter/charger.

-Jeff
+1 Re read what Jeff said here, he is right on. Most converters can not be programed to 14.8 volts. So you never get your batteries fully charged and you shorten their life.

Take the money and purchase a Magnum Inverter/charger which can be programed to 14.8.

My .02

Richard
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter