Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
Need to Take Extra Frozen Foods

Need to take some frozen foods (for up to ten days), which exceeds our trailer's freezer capacity so I'am thinking a standard Igloo cooler with dry ice, a fancy Yeti type cooler (which realy get mixed reviews) or an even more expensive over the road 12v freezer/frig like Engle, Luna, Edgestar or ARB.

My experience in Horse Packing is that the standard igloo type only last two or three days no matter what because they mostly have little or no insulation in the lid. So we long ago stopped trying tom pack anything needing to stay cold longer than three days.

But this is a new day, so we'd love to hear any suggestions you have!

DumOleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pack in dry ice in an insulated box or one of the coolers you already own and ship overnight to destination? Fed Ex does this, I'm sure others will, to.

ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
We have an Engel MT45 Fridge Freezer, several Yeti and several Engel Deep Blue coolers. You will be happy with any of top line coolers as they have about 2 inches of solid insulation in the lid. walls and bottom. Plus they have a good quality door seal.

The Engel fridge freezers are the very best of all. Ours have 5 settings.
1-2 it is very cold fridge. Over 2 /12 we use it for a freezer. Freezes solid
better than our side by side fridge freezer in the RV.

Out of all the units we like the MT45 the best because we use it all year.
Summer in the RV and winter I have it my office. Nice not having to walk to fridge and having me old beer at a perfect temperature.
fishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Just be aware of the potential danger with using dry ice in small, confined areas. See Ventilation section here: http://dryiceinfo.com/safe.htm
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last year we bought a twelve volt cooler from Wally world.
It seems that it freezes the beer so we decided to put prefrozen food in it. It kept it frozen for more than two weeks,you know stuff like steaks and burgers.
As long as it stays plugged in it stays frozen.
I manage the beer more carefully now. It can be used as a chest (laying down)
or as a fridge (upright)
This will do what you are asking for.
It is also 110 volt
Coleman Powerchillâ„¢ 40 qt | Walmart.ca
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
Wouldn't a small electric freezer that you could power as needed with a generator work? They don't cost much.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a Waeco refrigerator freezer and yes it works well in freezing mode.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
I have two of the coleman 12 volt frig freez from wally,s about $90. and work great they really do freeze things if you are not careful. I am sure aat the right setting and being careful not to block the fan they would keep your items frozen. I always suggest you pack using setting up usage as to use those items in the least reliable cooling source first.
Adbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:27 AM   #9
If packing a cooler and do not want to use dry ice we have froze gallon jugs of water, they seem to last longer plus does not get everything wet and then when they thaw you also have some drinking water, this is how we did it back in the pop up days
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
If you have a inverter: I have 2, 110 volt Haier 1.3 (?) CF freezers. They are approx. 20" X 20" X 20". Bought at Wall Mart for under $200 each 10 years ago. Will hold temperature for approx. 12 hours.
Charlie Tuit, 2002 Journey, 32T, XL7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #11
We have a dual power Engel installed on a sliding tray in our basement. Runs on electric when on shore power and switches to dc power (must be plugged into dc outlet) when not on shore power. It can be used as either a fridge or freezer. We have a thermometer to monitor temps and the freezer us normally at -4 degrees or lower. It is pricey but only has one moving part.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We have two, an ARB 80L from our previous RV and the Dometic 110# that came OEM in our current RV. They both have performed beautifully both as a freezer or a fridge. I have a 12V power port in back of both pickups. We recently deadheaded back and forth from Tex to AZ, in the F150 and used the ARB as a freezer to take meat and prepared meals back to AZ. When we camp, we use it to store ice and the Dometic for a beverage fridge. We love having both of them. One is mounted and one is portable.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:29 AM   #13
Don't forget that food thaws slower at colder temperatures.

Put the frozen food you will be eating first into the fridge not freezer. Depending on how cold the fridge is and how large the frozen block of food is it may take 2 or 3 days for it to thaw.

It also helps keep the fridge colder if you're in warm weather.

Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote